Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add filenames to top of each files in a directory Post 302997713 by baris35 on Thursday 18th of May 2017 12:07:53 PM
Old 05-18-2017
Hello Ravinder,
Thanks for your answer,
it gives error for some reason:

Code:
line 5: $file".tmp": ambiguous redirect

Hello Corona,
Thanks for the answer, that is working as expected.

Many Thanks!
Boris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating the filenames in a directory

hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to read all the filenames based on a pattern from a directory and concatenate all these file names and write it to another file. i am using the following code to do this var1='' for filename in $_DIR/${FILE_NAME}* do if if then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames in a directory

I have a directory of files and each file has a random 5 digit string at the beginning that needs to be removed. Plus, there are some files that will be identically named after the 5 digit string is removed and I want those eliminated or moved. any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumb
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding characters at the top of all files in directory

Hi Unix experts; I have 30000 files in a directory and am willing to do the following changes on each of them. The input files look like the following: 1 , 2 3 , 4 5 , 6 7 , 8 9 , 10 the output will have # in top 10 lines, insert space instead of comma. This looks like: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nxp
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use filenames to create directory.

I have many files similar to this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. I want a directory named AC41 and to put the file AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf into the directory. Next, a directory named AC85 and put the file into it. Also, continue to cycle through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] print all filenames in directory

Hello, I was given a (I suppose) a simple task which I don't know how to do. Before coming here I have read a dozen of awk tutorials (full read, not just line-skipping) but I still don't know how to do this. Task: Write an script file 'check.awk' with a parameter current directory that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0dehunter
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing filenames in my current directory

Can someone give me a tip on writing a script that, for each file in the working directory, prints the filename, the # of lines, and the # of words to stdout? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flash123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

There are multiple filenames in the directory.How to return the the lastest files for each file name

there are mutiple file nams in the directory. How to return the the lastest files for each file name. ex. abc1234_050201 abc1234_050206 abc1234_050208 xyz34_050204 xyz34_050210 xyz34_050218 thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grand_sam
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I custom sort the files in a directory using the filenames in a text file.?

Hi all, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
5 Replies
MAKEDIST(1)						      General Commands Manual						       MAKEDIST(1)

NAME
makedist - a distribution kit maker SYNOPSIS
makedist [ -dhqvV ] [ -c dir ] [ -s size ] [-f manifest ] DESCRIPTION
Makedist is a rather simpleminded shar program that knows how to pack files into multiple kits of approximately 50000 bytes each. The shar scripts produced assume very little about the target machine; there is correspondingly little error checking done compared to other shar programs. Alternatively, with the -c option, you can create a directory containing the whole source tree, and then pack it up using your own shell archiver. If you are using the copyright expansion feature (as determined by packinit), then you have to pack your distribution using this program to ensure the copyright is correctly set. In order to run makedist you have to do two things: 1) Create a .package file in the package's top-level directory by running packinit. This program will ask you about your package and remember what you tell it so that all the dist programs can be smart. 2) Create a MANIFEST.new file in your top-level directory that lists all the files in your package. The filename should be the first field on each line. After some whitespace you can add a comment describing your file (briefly). After running makedist, you will have a set of kits in your top-level directory. If your package name is "foo", they will be named foo.kit1, foo.kit2, etc. The file created PACKLIST file is automatically added to the distribution and tells which files come with which kits. If you used the -c option, you will end-up with a single directory instead, containing the whole distribution, ready to be sent to the end-user. If a file is too large to be packed as-is in one archive, it will be automatically split in smaller parts. Only the first 11 characters of the file will be kept though, and makedist will abort if two distinct files are to be split and have the same 11 first characters in their names. The split files will automatically be reconstructed at the end of the archive extraction by runnning a script generated in PAC- KNOTES. You may then mail your kits via kitsend or post them with kitpost. OPTIONS
The following options are handled by makedist: -c dir Tell makedist that the distribution should be copied (mirrored) in the specified directory, instead of producing shell archives. Compatible with the -q option. -d Turn on debug mode. Probably not useful. -f file Use file as manifest. By default, MANIFEST.new is used. -h Print help message and exit. -q Quick production of the kits: the checked-out version of the files is used, instead of using the RCS file to actually get the latest checked-in version. This will save some considerable time, but you have to be sure the checked-out version is up-to-date or you might end up with an inconsistent package. -s size Set maximum kit size to size bytes. -v Verbose mode: trace kit building process or tree mirroring. -V Print version number and exit. AUTHORS
Larry Wall <lwall@netlabs.com> (version 2.0) Raphael Manfredi <ram@hptnos02.grenoble.hp.com> FILES
Creates ./$package.kit* unless -c option is used. PACKLIST and PACKNOTES are also temporarily created. SEE ALSO
kitsend(1), kitpost(1), metaconfig(1), patcol(1) LOCAL MAKEDIST(1)