Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding latest file in dir but getting syntax errors Post 302997599 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 17th of May 2017 06:57:30 AM
Old 05-17-2017
consider a shorter bit of arithmetic:
Code:
# the the age of the file using epoch seconds
fileage=$(( $(date +%s) - $(date -r min.h.bak +%s) ))
# age expressed as hours:
echo "hours = $(( $fileage / 3600 ))"
# age in days:
echo "days = $(( $fileage / 86400 ))"

You errors have a space between the variable name and equal symbol in an assign statement
Code:
var ="bad"
var= "bad"
var = "bad"
# no spaces either side of the equals symbol.
var="correct"

You have a logic problem using %H for hours - file going over midnight i.e., yesterday at 2300 and today at 0106 will give you a negative number

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 05-17-2017 at 08:02 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding latest file in Unix

Hi, i want to search a file in the dir , if file exists for todays date print the message that file found or if file does not exist for todays date/ if file not found i want to display message saying that file not found. How to do this. Thx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick12
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding latest file having timestamp on it.....

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in dir, omit file with latest date

I want to loop through files in a directory but omit the file with the latest date in my list of files. How would I accomplish this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringzz
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

RSYNC syntax for pushing file with latest system date

OK, I am a little new to AIX 5.3 and also to scripting. I have a shell script that I wrote and am having difficulty pushing specific files by the system date. Here is my script: #!/usr/bin/sh RSYNC=/usr/local/bin/rsync SSH=/usr/local/bin/ssh KEY=<path> somekey.key RUSER=mike... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tfort73
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the Latest file in a Dir

Hi Everyone, I am writing a shell script and I am struck here: I need to find the latest file in a directory depending upon the date. For example: The files in the directory are: Filename_bo_20110619 Filename_bo_20110620 Filename_bo_20110621 Filename_bo_20110622 So here, I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding errors in log file only in last 10 minutes

Hi there, I have a log file that I need to check every 10 minutes to find if a specific error exists but only in that 10 minute period. The reason is that the log is quite large, and will frequently contain these errors, so I only want alerting if it in the last 10 minutes - I don't want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul_vf
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding latest dir based on it's name (yyyymmdd)

Hi Folks, As part of my application I need to find out what the latest directory based on the name of that directory (not it's file system timestamp). Example: I have a directory which contains below directories (each of while contains files etc) 20120000/ 20120000/ latest (symbolic link to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DOWD_R
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Finding the latest file in a directory

Hi All, I am using the below command to find the latest file in a dir: ls -tr $v_sftphomedir/$v_sourcefile |tail -1 or ls -t1 $v_sftphomedir/$v_sourcefile |head -1 and the outpur returned is below: /home/cobr_sftp/var/controllingload/Backup/Dbrwds_Div_1796050246.txt I need only the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the latest modified version of a file within directories

I am trying to look into multiple directories and pluck out the latest version of a specific file, regardless of where it sits within the directory structure. Ex: The file is a .xls file and could have a depth within the directory of anywhere from 1-5 Working directory - Folder1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: co21ss
6 Replies
Date::Manip::Lang(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Date::Manip::Lang(3)

NAME
Date::Manip::Lang - date manipulation routines (language initialization) DESCRIPTION
This module is a series of routines, one per language, used to initialize the support for different languages in Date::Manip ADDING A LANGUAGE
Adding a language is easily done. If you want to add a language, refer to the list of words and phrases given below. Translate them into the desired language and email them to me. Note that Date::Manip does support international character sets, so if there are non-ASCII characters in the words, it's not a problem. Be sure to include an ASCII representation as well that can be used in cases where non-ASCII characters might cause problems. In many cases, alternate spellings are allowed, and there may be multiple words or phrases which fit, so please include all of them (with ASCII representations for any that include non-ASCII characters). Please translate ALL of the following. In some cases, a phrase is given in parentheses. It is not necessary to translate the phrase. They're there to show the word in the correct context. month names (January February ...) abbreviations (Jan Feb ...) day name (Monday Tuesday ... Sunday) abbreviation (Mon Tue ... Sun) short abbrev. (M T ... S) number suffix (1st 2nd ... 31st) spelled out (first second ... thirty-first now today tomorrow yesterday last (last day of the month) each (each Tuesday of the month) of (first day of the week) at (at 3:00) on (on Tuesday) next (next Tuesday) last (last Tuesday) exactly (in exactly 3 hours) approximately (in approximately 3 hours) business (in 4 business days) Some times of the day are named. At the very least, there is probably noon and midnight. Provide all named times, and the time of day. noon 12:00:00 midnight 00:00:00 The delta field names can be written or abbreviated in many differet ways. Provide all names and abbreviations for the seven fields. For example: years/year/yrs/yr/y months/month/mon weeks/week/wk/wks/w days/day/d hours/hour/hr/hrs minutes/minute/min/mn seconds/second/sec/s What words/phrases can be used to say that a time is in the future? E.g. IN 3 hours 3 hours LATER 3 hours IN THE FUTURE In the past? 3 hours AGO 3 hours PAST Does the language have an equivalent of the English AM/PM? If so, what are all possible values of each? Other than a comma or period, are there any common integer/decimal separators? For example: 1.25 can be expressed as 1.25 or 1,25 commonly. Are there any other ways? When expressing time the hours/minutes and minutes/seconds are typically separated by colons. Are there any other separators? If so, what combinations of the separators are used in real life? For example: 05h30:00. NOTE: there must be the same number of sephm and sepms values and the first sephm corresponds to the first sepms, etc. AUTHOR
Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org) You can always get the newest beta version of Date::Manip (which may fix problems in the current CPAN version... and may add others) from my home page: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~sbeck/ perl v5.12.1 2010-01-12 Date::Manip::Lang(3)