Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding latest file in dir but getting syntax errors Post 302997596 by simpltyansh on Wednesday 17th of May 2017 05:52:27 AM
Old 05-17-2017
Code Finding latest file in dir but getting syntax errors

I believe there are couple of syntax issues in my script, couldn't find them Smilie
can someone help me with fixing it to make it work.

Code:
cd /abcde/
#get the latest filename excluding subdirs
filename=`ls -ltr | grep ^- | tail -1 | awk '{print $8}'`

#get system date and file timestamp and storing in variables
sysDate="$(date)"
fileDate="$(date -r $filename)"

#get day of sys and file dates
sysdateDay= `$(date +%d)`
filedateDay= `$(date -r $filename +%d)`

#get hour of sys and file dates
sysdateHour= `$(date +%H)`
filedateHour= `$(date -r $filename +%H)`

#find difference of days and hours in sys and file dates
daydiff= 'expr $day - $day2'
hourdiff= 'expr $hour - $hour2'

echo "Current date : $sysDate"
echo "File date    : $fileDate"

#checking if day is same but hour difference is more than 2 hrs
if [ $daydiff -eq "0" && $hourdiff -ge "2" ]
then
    echo "the newest file is more than 2 hours old...."

#checking if there is a day difference of 1 or more days
else if [ $daydiff -ge "1" ]
    echo  "the newest file is more than 24 hours old...."

#last file is less than 2 hours old
else
    echo "new files received within 2 hours"
fi

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding latest file in Unix

Hi, i want to search a file in the dir , if file exists for todays date print the message that file found or if file does not exist for todays date/ if file not found i want to display message saying that file not found. How to do this. Thx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick12
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding latest file having timestamp on it.....

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in dir, omit file with latest date

I want to loop through files in a directory but omit the file with the latest date in my list of files. How would I accomplish this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringzz
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

RSYNC syntax for pushing file with latest system date

OK, I am a little new to AIX 5.3 and also to scripting. I have a shell script that I wrote and am having difficulty pushing specific files by the system date. Here is my script: #!/usr/bin/sh RSYNC=/usr/local/bin/rsync SSH=/usr/local/bin/ssh KEY=<path> somekey.key RUSER=mike... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tfort73
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the Latest file in a Dir

Hi Everyone, I am writing a shell script and I am struck here: I need to find the latest file in a directory depending upon the date. For example: The files in the directory are: Filename_bo_20110619 Filename_bo_20110620 Filename_bo_20110621 Filename_bo_20110622 So here, I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding errors in log file only in last 10 minutes

Hi there, I have a log file that I need to check every 10 minutes to find if a specific error exists but only in that 10 minute period. The reason is that the log is quite large, and will frequently contain these errors, so I only want alerting if it in the last 10 minutes - I don't want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul_vf
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding latest dir based on it's name (yyyymmdd)

Hi Folks, As part of my application I need to find out what the latest directory based on the name of that directory (not it's file system timestamp). Example: I have a directory which contains below directories (each of while contains files etc) 20120000/ 20120000/ latest (symbolic link to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DOWD_R
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Finding the latest file in a directory

Hi All, I am using the below command to find the latest file in a dir: ls -tr $v_sftphomedir/$v_sourcefile |tail -1 or ls -t1 $v_sftphomedir/$v_sourcefile |head -1 and the outpur returned is below: /home/cobr_sftp/var/controllingload/Backup/Dbrwds_Div_1796050246.txt I need only the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the latest modified version of a file within directories

I am trying to look into multiple directories and pluck out the latest version of a specific file, regardless of where it sits within the directory structure. Ex: The file is a .xls file and could have a depth within the directory of anywhere from 1-5 Working directory - Folder1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: co21ss
6 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)