Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete lines containing key words dynamically Post 302997528 by weknowd on Monday 15th of May 2017 05:21:17 PM
Old 05-15-2017
Delete lines containing key words dynamically

Hi Frens,

I have a requirement where I need to delete lines having key words and am using the below command to do that

Code:
sed '/UNIX/d' inputfile > output

But now I have one more requirement where in there will be one reference file which has the ID's to be deleted from the master file.

Eg:

Master File

Code:
ID,NAME
1,XX
2,YY
3,ZZ
4,DD

Reference File

Code:
ID

So my output file should be

Code:
ID,NAME
1,XX
4,DD

It would be helpful if you can let me know how we can acheive it dynamically.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 05-16-2017 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that contain 3 or more words?

How can I delete lines that contain 3 or more words? I have a file, old.txt, that has multi-word phrases in it and I want to remove the lines with 3 words or more and send the output to new.txt. I've tried the following using sed but it doesn't seem to work: sed '/(\b\w+\b){3,}/d' old.txt >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: revax
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - delete words between two possible words

Hi all, I want to make an script using sed that removes everything between 'begin' (including the line that has it) and 'end1' or 'end2', not removing this line. Let me paste an 2 examples: anything before any string begin few lines of content end1 anything after anything before any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meuser
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - Extracting multiple key words from stdout

Hello. From command line, the command zypper info nxclient return a bloc of data : linux local # zypper info nxclient Loading repository data... Reading installed packages... Information for package nxclient: Repository: zypper_local Name: nxclient Version: 3.5.0-7 Arch: x86_64... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract key words and print their values

Input file (HTTP request log file): GET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buptwy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter logs for key words and create an index

well, im a total novice of unix commands and shell scripting, i never made anything. But yesterday in my work i was working with a lot of log files and i was wondering if there is a command for doing something like this: i have a bunch of files with text like this: blablabla errorcode1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: matius_88
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines according to a key words in that line

HI, I have a file A like this: c 1 length 14432 width 3434 temp 34 c 2 length 3343 width 0923 height 9383 hm 902 temp34 c 3 length 938 height 982 hm 9292 temp 23 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_simpsons
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using key words or symbols to determine parser

There are multiple conditions in which the user can input data. 1. > 2. del 3. ins 4. delins The user input is saved in a specific directory using the code below: Code: cd 'C:' C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/python.exe C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/run_batch_job.py... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Non-root script used search and list specific key words

Hy there all. Im new here. Olso new to terminal & bash, but it seams that for me it's much easyer to undarsatnd scripts than an actual programming language as c or anyother languare for that matter. S-o here is one og my home works s-o to speak. Write a shell script which: -only works as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Crisso2Face
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to block some key words in my url for apache config?

Hi Folks, I am running a website and that needs to be tightened with security in terms of hacking... Whereas, In my URL, when i click on certain links the entire link as contains some words like below:/control_panel /controlpanel /admin /cms Whereas, i need to block those words in apache... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsiva
1 Replies
LOOK(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   LOOK(1)

NAME
look - find lines in a sorted list SYNOPSIS
look [ -dfnixtc ] [ string ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Look consults a sorted file and prints all lines that begin with string. It uses binary search. The following options are recognized. Options dfnt affect comparisons as in sort(1). -i Interactive. There is no string argument; instead look takes lines from the standard input as strings to be looked up. -x Exact. Print only lines of the file whose key matches string exactly. -d `Directory' order: only letters, digits, tabs and blanks participate in comparisons. -f Fold. Upper case letters compare equal to lower case. -n Numeric comparison with initial string of digits, optional minus sign, and optional decimal point. -t[c] Character c terminates the sort key in the file. By default, tab terminates the key. If c is missing the entire line comprises the key. If no file is specified, /lib/words is assumed, with collating sequence df. FILES
/lib/words SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/look.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), grep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
The exit status is "not found" if no match is found, and "no dictionary" if file or the default dictionary cannot be opened. LOOK(1)