Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Set, setenv or export? Confused between three options Post 302996370 by vbe on Tuesday 25th of April 2017 04:40:37 AM
Old 04-25-2017
Thanks for the correcting me, was so obvious I zapped the magic line you need in .profile ...
There is a good reason to use a .kshrc if you use/have heavy customisation.:
To be sure no one has a corrupt environment when upgrading/patching OS if a new .profile is provided in the upgrade, it will be used as default for all users, thus avoiding extra most probable useless calls to internal support team... and as MadeInGermany flagged, the only thing we check here is that the magic line is present , if not will be added to the default...

Things get more complicated when using X server on PC with ssh and have an heterogenous environment with many flavours of UX/linux...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set, setenv

Well first of all I am a real Unix newbie. I am taking a course on it in University. I kind of understand set and setenv but, I think it si something that I should really understand. So I thought that I would try a forum out and see how good you guys really are. The question: Execute the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w6u6f
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I set permanent setenv !!!

Hello, I just want to know ow I can set permanent pathes or whatever using setenv command. I'm using c shell . regards, me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between SET and SETENV

I never undestood exactly what's the difference between the SET and SETENV commands. One sets variables visible to all users and the other (SETENV) only to the specific user environment ? Thanks in advance, BraZil - thE heLL iS HEre :mad: !!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between set and export

Hi, can anybody tell me what is the difference between set and export in unix. -Ashish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between EXPORT and setenv

Hi, Is there any difference between setting an environment variable by EXPORT and by setenv? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dexkid
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of set, export and typeset

what is the difference in usage of set, export, typeset while declaring a value to a variable can any one help thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does set also change setenv variables?

I thought that set and setenv was easy enough to understand until I started experimenting. I noticed the same problem in a previous thread, so I will use it as an example. set command gave the following output: argv () cwd /homes/e/ee325328/assignment.2 home /homes/e/ee325328 path ( a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: benwj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if export DISPLAY is set or not?

Hi All, I use "export DISPLAY=same_host:0.0" to set my export DISPLAY and it is working fine for me.. Problem here is I have developed a script for which i should run export DISPLAY prior to running my script.... so my script should check whether export DISPLAY is set or not.. if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vi set options

Does know where I can find what ALL of the set options do in vi? I can't find it anywhere in vi's man pages or help files. I know about :set all but a lot of the options I have no clue what they do. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. Solaris

export vs env vs set commands

Hi I'm trying to understand variable scopes in solaris10. It is said that to display env variables we use 3 commands : - env - set - export What is the difference between them ? thx for help. ---------- Post updated at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:50 AM ---------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies
INSTALL-MH(8)                                                        [nmh-1.5]                                                       INSTALL-MH(8)

NAME
install-mh - initialize the nmh environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/install-mh [-auto] [-check] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Install-mh is the nmh program to create the initial setup for a first-time nmh user. Install-mh lives in two places for historical rea- sons. The -auto option does things as automatically as possible and makes install-mh less chatty. The user is asked for the name of the directory that will be designated as the user's nmh directory. If this directory does not exist, the user is asked if it should be created. Normally, this directory should be under the user's home directory, and has the default name of ``Mail''. Install-mh writes an initial .mh_profile for the user. As with all nmh commands, install-mh first checks for the existence of the $MH environment variable since that gives the profile path if set. If it isn't set, the $HOME environment variable is consulted to determine the user's home directory. If $HOME is not set, then the /etc/passwd file is consulted. When creating the users initial .mh_profile, install-mh will check for the existence of a global profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile. If found, this will be used to initialize the new .mh_profile. The -check option can be used to check whether or not nmh has been installed. This can be used by other programs to determine whether or not nmh has been installed without their having to know the internals of nmh. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile Used to initialize user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To set the user's nmh directory CONTEXT
With -auto, the current folder is changed to "inbox". MH.6.8 11 June 2012 INSTALL-MH(8)