Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Set, setenv or export? Confused between three options Post 302996306 by userexperience on Monday 24th of April 2017 05:24:14 AM
Old 04-24-2017
Set, setenv or export? Confused between three options

Hi Experts,

Need your help in understanding the commands to setup the environment variables in hp-ux.

Beleive need to use either set,setenv or export.

I am confused between above three options, when to use which option?

On command line, I have tried both set and setenv but couldn't able to set the environment variables. However with export it was working fine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set, setenv

Well first of all I am a real Unix newbie. I am taking a course on it in University. I kind of understand set and setenv but, I think it si something that I should really understand. So I thought that I would try a forum out and see how good you guys really are. The question: Execute the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w6u6f
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I set permanent setenv !!!

Hello, I just want to know ow I can set permanent pathes or whatever using setenv command. I'm using c shell . regards, me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between SET and SETENV

I never undestood exactly what's the difference between the SET and SETENV commands. One sets variables visible to all users and the other (SETENV) only to the specific user environment ? Thanks in advance, BraZil - thE heLL iS HEre :mad: !!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between set and export

Hi, can anybody tell me what is the difference between set and export in unix. -Ashish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between EXPORT and setenv

Hi, Is there any difference between setting an environment variable by EXPORT and by setenv? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dexkid
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of set, export and typeset

what is the difference in usage of set, export, typeset while declaring a value to a variable can any one help thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does set also change setenv variables?

I thought that set and setenv was easy enough to understand until I started experimenting. I noticed the same problem in a previous thread, so I will use it as an example. set command gave the following output: argv () cwd /homes/e/ee325328/assignment.2 home /homes/e/ee325328 path ( a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: benwj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if export DISPLAY is set or not?

Hi All, I use "export DISPLAY=same_host:0.0" to set my export DISPLAY and it is working fine for me.. Problem here is I have developed a script for which i should run export DISPLAY prior to running my script.... so my script should check whether export DISPLAY is set or not.. if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vi set options

Does know where I can find what ALL of the set options do in vi? I can't find it anywhere in vi's man pages or help files. I know about :set all but a lot of the options I have no clue what they do. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. Solaris

export vs env vs set commands

Hi I'm trying to understand variable scopes in solaris10. It is said that to display env variables we use 3 commands : - env - set - export What is the difference between them ? thx for help. ---------- Post updated at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:50 AM ---------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies
asadmin-unset(1AS)						   User Commands						asadmin-unset(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-unset, unset - removes one or more variables from the multimode environment SYNOPSIS
unset env_var [env_var]* Removes one or more variables you set for the multimode environment. The variables and their associated values will no longer exist in the environment. OPERANDS
env_var environment variable to be removed. Example 1: Using unset to remove environment variables asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=password asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_PREFIX=server1.jms-service asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=******** AS_ADMIN_PREFIX=server1.jms-service asadmin> unset AS_ADMIN_PREFIX asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=******** Using the export command without the argument lists the environment variables that are set. Notice the AS_ADMIN_PREFIX is not in the envi- ronment after running the unset command. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-export(1AS), asadmin-multimode(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-unset(1AS)