Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Search a string inside a pattern matched block of a file Post 302996296 by Baishali on Monday 24th of April 2017 02:12:25 AM
Old 04-24-2017
Thank you for the help.

However, I wanted to fetch the first line after the 'STARTREGEX' as well, as each pattern block name(1st line after the pattern) containing the matched string is also required.
I missed to mention the above prior !

E.g.:

Code:
START 
Block1
string
END 
START 
Block2
END 
START 
Block3
string
END

So, here I wanted the output like:
Code:
Block1 string
Block3 string

Awaiting your suggestions..!
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags (as required by forum rules) when displaying sample input, sample output, and code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 04-24-2017 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search a pattern inside a zipped file ie (.gz file) with out unzipping it

How to search a pattern inside a zipped file ie (.gz file) with out unzipping it? using grep command.. Bit urgent.. pls..help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senraj01
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and Parse string from inside a File

Hello, I barely know the basics, but I am very determined to learn. I want to parse a few characters from each row, use that string to search another file and display the line number where I found the value in the file. I don't know if this can all be done on the command line, so I am creating a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SSims
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Mulitiple String pattern in a file

Hi, I need to search for a multiple string pattern(5 key words) in a file(similar to a flat file) ,and i need to store the output in a another file . In that file we may have mutiple occurrences of the key words.and i need only the unique. kindly help out. Thanks, Mohana Krishnan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnan_6015@y
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for the matched pattern by tracing back from the line

Hi, I want to grep the line which has 'data11'.then from that line, i need to trace back and find out the immediate line which has the same timestamp of that grepped line. for eg: log file: ----------- Process - data Process - datavalue - 2345 Process - data Process - data Process... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharmila_P
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk search for string pattern in delimited file

I've got a semicolon delimited file. I would like to search for fields that match a pattern, and not hardcoded eg "mth". *th=something If the delimited field fulfills this condition, eg. mth=value I would like to print out both key and value for some number comparison. eg. if value > "12"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - use search keywords from array and search a file and print 3rd field when matched

Hi , I have been trying to write a perl script to do this job. But i am not able to achieve the desired result. Below is my code. my $current_value=12345; my @users=("bob","ben","tom","harry"); open DBLIST,"<","/var/tmp/DBinfo"; my @input = <DBLIST>; foreach (@users) { my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search a particular pattern in a file backward after a pattern is matched.?

Hi, I have two files file1.txt and file2.txt. Please see the attachments. In file2.txt (which actually is a diff output between two versions of file1.txt.), I extract the pattern corresponding to 1172c1172. Now ,In file1.txt I have to search for this pattern 1172c1172 and if found, I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh kumar
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for Pattern as output between the matched String

Hello, I have a file which has the below contents : VG_name LV_name LV_size in MB LV_option LV_mountpoint owner group y testdg rahul2lv 10 "-A y -L" /home/abc2 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD