Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File permission
Operating Systems HP-UX File permission Post 302996241 by Don Cragun on Friday 21st of April 2017 07:29:26 PM
Old 04-21-2017
In a three digit permission, the 1st digit indicates permissions granted the file's owner, the 2nd digit indicates permissions granted to the users in the file's group, and the 3rd digit indicates permissions granted to everyone else. When a digit is 7, that class of users has read, write and execute (for regular files) or search (for directories) permission. When a digit is 5 that class of users does not have write permission.

The difference between 777 and 775 is that users who are not the file's owner and who are not in the group of that file do not have permission to write to the file if the mode is 775, but do have permission to write to that file if the mode is 777. (If the file is a directory, write permission is needed to create a file in that directory and to remove a file from that directory.)
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The file permission

I have a file ( /tmp/file.txt ) , the file owner is user1:edp , the permission is 644 , I want everyone can overwrite the file but don't change the file owner and permssion , could suggest what can I do ? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

The file permission

there is a directory eg. /home/edp/ , all the files under this directory : 1. the file and directory owner is "user1" , 2. the permission is 644 I want everyone hv permission to overwrite all files and write a new file to it , but I want the file owner and permssion keep unchange , could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

3. Solaris

File permission

Hi Folks I have a file with the following permission. -r-sr-lr-- 1 apps appsgp 7612 Dec 19 2001 startup Any idea what is the in the group means? In my mind I believe I need to be root to set l in the group. Am I right? I don't have root access now. When I (as apps) a chmod... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hlee411
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permission

Hi, When I listed one directory in Sun, it showed that : -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bsmbin 78004 Oct 21 2004 bsmprsm I don't know meaning of the character "s" in "rws" above. I have searched in Sun admin documents but no result. Would you please explain it ? :) Thank you so much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msg098
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

6. Solaris

file permission

hi frnds can u explain /etc/shadow file have read and write permissions for root only but while normal user changes his passwd it also updated in that file whats the logic behind that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan ega
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file permission

Hi All, https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/105758-chmod-parent-sub-directories.html I have to change permission for the directories and subdirectories in single command when googled i found some updates but i understand what is switch. If there is a command please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permission

I have an application with the user mark and another user james is trying to run the application and ending up with file permission issues. The user mark has set the umask as 002, I wanted to have a setting so that anyone can run the application without any file permission issues. Can anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

File permission

Hi Friends, I want to create one user on my server in such a way that when he logged in by ssh on server,he can able to access ONLY /var/www/drupal-6.2 this directory. Please tell me how should i do that. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

MV file with other permission

Hello All I have a file with rw-rw-r permission I need to mv the file into different directory (dir has rwx-rwx-rwx permission) with an others permission The application which is moving the file falls in other group I am getting the error mv cannot renamed permission denied ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
12 Replies
KEYCTL_SEARCH(3)					    Linux Key Management Calls						  KEYCTL_SEARCH(3)

NAME
keyctl_search - Search a keyring for a key SYNOPSIS
#include <keyutils.h> long keyctl_search(key_serial_t keyring, const char *type, const char *description, key_serial_t destination); DESCRIPTION
keyctl_search() recursively searches the keyring for a key of the specified type and description. If found, the key will be attached to the destination keyring (if given), and its serial number will be returned. The source keyring must grant search permission to the caller, and for a key to be found, it must also grant search permission to the call- er. Child keyrings will be only be recursively searched if they grant search permission to the caller as well. If the destination keyring is zero, no attempt will be made to forge a link to the key, and just the serial number will be returned. If the destination keyring is given, then the link may only be formed if the found key grants the caller link permission and the destina- tion keyring grants the caller write permission. If the search is successful, and if the destination keyring already contains a link to a key that matches the specified type and descrip- tion, then that link will be replaced by a link to the found key. The source keyring and destination keyring serial numbers may be those of valid keyrings to which the caller has appropriate permission, or they may be special keyring IDs: KEY_SPEC_THREAD_KEYRING This specifies the caller's thread-specific keyring. KEY_SPEC_PROCESS_KEYRING This specifies the caller's process-specific keyring. KEY_SPEC_SESSION_KEYRING This specifies the caller's session-specific keyring. KEY_SPEC_USER_KEYRING This specifies the caller's UID-specific keyring. KEY_SPEC_USER_SESSION_KEYRING This specifies the caller's UID-session keyring. RETURN VALUE
On success keyctl_search() returns the serial number of the key it found. On error, the value -1 will be returned and errno will have been set to an appropriate error. ERRORS
ENOKEY One of the keyrings doesn't exist, no key was found by the search, or the only key found by the search was a negative key. ENOTDIR One of the keyrings is a valid key that isn't a keyring. EKEYEXPIRED One of the keyrings has expired, or the only key found was expired. EKEYREVOKED One of the keyrings has been revoked, or the only key found was revoked. ENOMEM Insufficient memory to expand the destination keyring. EDQUOT The key quota for this user would be exceeded by creating a link to the found key in the destination keyring. EACCES The source keyring didn't grant search permission, the destination keyring didn't grant write permission or the found key didn't grant link permission to the caller. LINKING
Although this is a Linux system call, it is not present in libc but can be found rather in libkeyutils. When linking, -lkeyutils should be specified to the linker. SEE ALSO
keyctl(1), add_key(2), keyctl(2), request_key(2), keyctl_get_keyring_ID(3), keyctl_join_session_keyring(3), keyctl_update(3), keyctl_revoke(3), keyctl_chown(3), keyctl_setperm(3), keyctl_describe(3), keyctl_clear(3), keyctl_link(3), keyctl_unlink(3), keyctl_read(3), keyctl_instantiate(3), keyctl_negate(3), keyctl_set_reqkey_keyring(3), keyctl_set_timeout(3), keyctl_assume_authority(3), keyctl_describe_alloc(3), keyctl_read_alloc(3), request-key(8) Linux 4 May 2006 KEYCTL_SEARCH(3)