Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Context for use of [.symbol.] awk notation Post 302994590 by Don Cragun on Friday 24th of March 2017 06:17:28 PM
Old 03-24-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
In what context would awk use collation, though? > < for strings, or does it have other meaning?
In standard awk, just for < and > on string operands. I believe gawk and some other versions of awk have extensions to the standards that provide built-in functions to sort arrays (which presumably would sort in collation order).
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

keep context in awk

here is a data file. ------------------------------------- KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK ------------------------------------- My desired output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VTAWKVT
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk symbol for last column

Hi , I have a bunch of files with different # of columns but I want to write a single awk script. What is the awk symbol for last column? say '{print $lastcol}' or something (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Turning off exponential notation in awk

I have various numbers that I'm printing out from a statistical summary script. I'd like it to stop using exponential format. Of course, I can use printf with 'd' and 'f' and various parameters to specify a format, but then it has other undesirable effects, like tacking on extra 0's or truncating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
0 Replies

4. Solaris

/usr/lib/passwdutil.so.1: symbol __nsl_fgetspent_r: referenced symbol not found

deleteing post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert decimal notation to ANSI point code notation

wondering if anyone has any thoughts to convert the below thru a shell script Convert decimal signalling point notation to ANSI point code notation There is a site that does that conversion but i need to implement the solution in a shell script.....Thoughts.... OS: Solaris 9 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get rid of awk notation

echo 0.633588 1875 | awk '{print $1 * $2 * 1024}' is there a better way to run the above command? it keeps printing out in notation and i do not want that at all. when i run the above, i get: 1.21649e+06 OS: linux language:bash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: scientific notation to decimal notation

hello folks, I have few values in a log which are in scientific notation. I am trying to convert into actual decimal format or integer but couldn't able to convert. Values in scientific notation: 1.1662986666666665E-4 2.0946799999999998E-4 3.0741333333333333E-6 5.599999999999999E-7... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk Errors on notation

can someone spot what i'm doing wrong here: awk 'BEGIN{printf("%0.2f", 1 / 2649320) * 100}' i get this error: awk: line 1: syntax error at or near * then i do this and get the answer i'm trying to avoid: awk 'BEGIN{print(1 / 2649320) * 100}' 3.77455e-05 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with filter result (scientific notation) by using awk

Input file: data1 0.05 data2 1e-14 data1 1e-330 data2 1e-14 data5 2e-60 data5 2e-150 data1 4e-9 Desired output: data2 1e-14 data1 1e-330 data2 1e-14 data5 2e-60 data5 2e-150 I would like to filter out those result that column 2 is less than 1e-10. Command try: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Questions related to if in awk context and if without awk context

I wrote this code, questions follow #! /bin/bash -f # Purpose - to show how if syntax is used within an awk clear; ls -l; echo "This will print out the first two columns of the inputted file in this directory"; echo "Enter filename found in this directory"; read input; ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seth
11 Replies
CREATE 
COLLATION(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation CREATE COLLATION(7) NAME
CREATE_COLLATION - define a new collation SYNOPSIS
CREATE COLLATION name ( [ LOCALE = locale, ] [ LC_COLLATE = lc_collate, ] [ LC_CTYPE = lc_ctype ] ) CREATE COLLATION name FROM existing_collation DESCRIPTION
CREATE COLLATION defines a new collation using the specified operating system locale settings, or by copying an existing collation. To be able to create a collation, you must have CREATE privilege on the destination schema. PARAMETERS
name The name of the collation. The collation name can be schema-qualified. If it is not, the collation is defined in the current schema. The collation name must be unique within that schema. (The system catalogs can contain collations with the same name for other encodings, but these are ignored if the database encoding does not match.) locale This is a shortcut for setting LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE at once. If you specify this, you cannot specify either of those parameters. lc_collate Use the specified operating system locale for the LC_COLLATE locale category. The locale must be applicable to the current database encoding. (See CREATE DATABASE (CREATE_DATABASE(7)) for the precise rules.) lc_ctype Use the specified operating system locale for the LC_CTYPE locale category. The locale must be applicable to the current database encoding. (See CREATE DATABASE (CREATE_DATABASE(7)) for the precise rules.) existing_collation The name of an existing collation to copy. The new collation will have the same properties as the existing one, but it will be an independent object. NOTES
Use DROP COLLATION to remove user-defined collations. See Section 22.2, "Collation Support", in the documentation for more information about collation support in PostgreSQL. EXAMPLES
To create a collation from the operating system locale fr_FR.utf8 (assuming the current database encoding is UTF8): CREATE COLLATION french (LOCALE = 'fr_FR.utf8'); To create a collation from an existing collation: CREATE COLLATION german FROM "de_DE"; This can be convenient to be able to use operating-system-independent collation names in applications. COMPATIBILITY
There is a CREATE COLLATION statement in the SQL standard, but it is limited to copying an existing collation. The syntax to create a new collation is a PostgreSQL extension. SEE ALSO
ALTER COLLATION (ALTER_COLLATION(7)), DROP COLLATION (DROP_COLLATION(7)) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 CREATE COLLATION(7)