Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Context for use of [.symbol.] awk notation Post 302994590 by Don Cragun on Friday 24th of March 2017 06:17:28 PM
Old 03-24-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
In what context would awk use collation, though? > < for strings, or does it have other meaning?
In standard awk, just for < and > on string operands. I believe gawk and some other versions of awk have extensions to the standards that provide built-in functions to sort arrays (which presumably would sort in collation order).
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

keep context in awk

here is a data file. ------------------------------------- KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, KSH, CSH, BASH, PERL, PHP, SED, AWK ------------------------------------- My desired output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VTAWKVT
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk symbol for last column

Hi , I have a bunch of files with different # of columns but I want to write a single awk script. What is the awk symbol for last column? say '{print $lastcol}' or something (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Turning off exponential notation in awk

I have various numbers that I'm printing out from a statistical summary script. I'd like it to stop using exponential format. Of course, I can use printf with 'd' and 'f' and various parameters to specify a format, but then it has other undesirable effects, like tacking on extra 0's or truncating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
0 Replies

4. Solaris

/usr/lib/passwdutil.so.1: symbol __nsl_fgetspent_r: referenced symbol not found

deleteing post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert decimal notation to ANSI point code notation

wondering if anyone has any thoughts to convert the below thru a shell script Convert decimal signalling point notation to ANSI point code notation There is a site that does that conversion but i need to implement the solution in a shell script.....Thoughts.... OS: Solaris 9 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get rid of awk notation

echo 0.633588 1875 | awk '{print $1 * $2 * 1024}' is there a better way to run the above command? it keeps printing out in notation and i do not want that at all. when i run the above, i get: 1.21649e+06 OS: linux language:bash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: scientific notation to decimal notation

hello folks, I have few values in a log which are in scientific notation. I am trying to convert into actual decimal format or integer but couldn't able to convert. Values in scientific notation: 1.1662986666666665E-4 2.0946799999999998E-4 3.0741333333333333E-6 5.599999999999999E-7... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk Errors on notation

can someone spot what i'm doing wrong here: awk 'BEGIN{printf("%0.2f", 1 / 2649320) * 100}' i get this error: awk: line 1: syntax error at or near * then i do this and get the answer i'm trying to avoid: awk 'BEGIN{print(1 / 2649320) * 100}' 3.77455e-05 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with filter result (scientific notation) by using awk

Input file: data1 0.05 data2 1e-14 data1 1e-330 data2 1e-14 data5 2e-60 data5 2e-150 data1 4e-9 Desired output: data2 1e-14 data1 1e-330 data2 1e-14 data5 2e-60 data5 2e-150 I would like to filter out those result that column 2 is less than 1e-10. Command try: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Questions related to if in awk context and if without awk context

I wrote this code, questions follow #! /bin/bash -f # Purpose - to show how if syntax is used within an awk clear; ls -l; echo "This will print out the first two columns of the inputted file in this directory"; echo "Enter filename found in this directory"; read input; ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seth
11 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)