Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Time in seconds on AIX 4.3.2.0 Post 302992533 by bakunin on Monday 27th of February 2017 05:24:01 AM
Old 02-27-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadielosabra
4.) Bakunin yes the %T Option available for the date Format on my very old AIX , but i need the time in seconds
Actually this is a solution:

Code:
date +'%T' | IFS=':' read hr min sec
time=$(( hr * 3600 + min * 60 + sec ))

This removes the necessity to use an external program (nawk, perl) and makes only use of standard (ksh-)features. Anyways, i am glad you have a solution that works.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting time in mili seconds

hi all UNIX Gurus, this is my first post...so i posting this with great expectations:o...hoping to get the similar replies... my question is.... need to get timestamp with millisecond in UNIX. Date command gives Year,month day, hour,minute and second but it does not give millisecond. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhups
5 Replies

2. AIX

Unable to display the date-time in seconds on AIX

Hi, In unix the command "date +%s" displays the date-time in seconds since â00:00:00 1970-01-01 UTCâ (a GNU extension) when executed on unix: -sh-2.05b$ date +%s 1152092690 I tried with all the format control output but unable to display the date-time in seconds i,e as in unix format. Can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_haroon
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display time in minutes n seconds...

Hi all, may i know how to display time in minutes and seconds(may be milliseconds and even smaller that ) in shell scripts.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santy
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Time Difference in seconds

It is required to calculate time difference in seconds between epoch time (19700101 00:00:00) and any given date time (e.g. 20010214 14:30:30). Is there any command in unix to get it? Thanks in adv. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k_bijitesh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File creation time in seconds

Hi All, Cany any one help me in solving this.. Problem statement: I have a requirement to find the time from which there are no files created in a given directory. For this I am assuming that I need to get the file creation time in seconds, then the current time in seconds using `date +%s`.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chary
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference in seconds

date1=$(date +"%H:%M:%S") date2=$(date +"01:00:54") diff=$date2-$date1 echo $diff How to get the time difference in seconds. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Current Time in Seconds Perl

hi guys, i need to know how to get the current date/time in seconds and i want to be able to do this in a one liner. like say for instance, if want to get what the time is right now, i'll issue a command like this: ## perl -e ' print scalar(localtime(time + 0)), "\n"' Tue Jul 13 17:45:50... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Elapsed time in seconds in awk

I am trying to get the ellapsed time in seconds in the body of the awk script. I use unix date to get the time. It works in BEGIN {} but not in the body {} of awk. Any ideas? $ cat a BEGIN { "date +%s" | getline x print x } { "date +%s" | getline y print y } $ echo "one line" |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arturas123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get how much time process has been running in seconds

I use this command to get the time elapsed for a process ps -eo pid,pcpu,pmem,user,args,etime,cmd --sort=start_time | grep perl It gives in format 19990 0.0 0.0 user /usr/bin/php 5-09:58:51 /usr/bin/php I need in seconds. Please use CODE tags for sample input and output as well... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting seconds to time

I have a list of time spans in seconds, and want to compute the time span as hh:mm:nn I am coding in bash and have coded the following. However, the results are wrong as "%.0f" rounds the values. Example: ftm: 25793.5 tmspan(hrs,min,sec): 7.16 429.89 25793.50 hh: 7 mm: 10 ss:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies
GETDATE(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        GETDATE(1)

NAME
getdate - AME SYNOPSIS
[-dv][-n dec][-f format] [ra dec sys] itype2otype [date and/or time] DESCRIPTION
Convert date and time between various formats [-dv][-n dec][-f format] itype2otype @file itype: nfd=ISOFITS fd=FITS, dt=yyyy.mmdd, hr=hh:mm:ss, deg=dd:mm:ss jd=Julian Date, mjd=Modified Julian Date hjd=Heliocentric Julian Date, mhjd=Modified HJD ep=epoch, epj=Julian epoch, epb=Besselian epoch lt=local time, ut=UT, ts=seconds since 1950-01-01 now=current time, ang=fractional degrees otype: fd=FITS, dt=yyyy.mmdd, jd=Julian Date, mjd=Modified Julian Date hjd=Heliocentric Julian Date, mhjd=Modified HJD hr=hh:mm:ss, deg=dd:mm:ss, ang=fractional degrees ep=epoch, epj=Julian epoch, epb=Besselian epoch ts=seconds since 1950-01-01, tsu=Unix sec, tsi=IRAF sec gst=Greenwich Sidereal Time, lst=Local Sidereal Time @file: First one or two columns are in itype format ra dec sys: Need for Heliocentric conversions -a: Append date to input file, if there is one -d: Print date without time -e: Print output as ET/TDT/TT converting from UT -f: Format for output number (C printf) -h hours: Longitude in hours, west positive -l degrees: Longitude in degrees, west positive -n: Number of decimal places in sec, epoch, JD -t: Print time without date -v: Verbose getdate 3.8.4 June 2012 GETDATE(1)