Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Need Help With System Recovery After HD Errors Post 302992159 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 22nd of February 2017 07:42:09 AM
Old 02-22-2017
Going back to the question about limiting FTP users, I regret that I don't have a SCO server available to test, however many unix OS variation have a file /etc/ftpusers which work in the reverse to what you might expect. It is a list of accounts that are not allowed to FTP into this server. It is slightly counter intuitive (to me at least Smilie) but I wrote a simple script that I run daily to read /etc/ftpusers.allowed and re-write /etc/ftpusers. It was something like this:-
Code:
cut -f1 -d":" /etc/passwd | grep -vf /etc/ftpusers.allowed > /etc/ftupusers

Would that help? You need to be careful that the input file doesn't have blank lines (which will match every record) or short user ids that are contained within longer ones. Perhaps you should make this a two step process:-
Code:
sed 's/^/\^/ ; s/$/\$/' /etc/ftpusers.allowed > /tmp/ftpusers.allowed
cut -f1 -d":" /etc/passwd | grep -vf /tmp/ftpusers.allowed > /etc/ftupusers

I hope that this is useful on SCO. Apologies if it's not. have a look at th emanual page for ftpd or whatever offers the service for you.

Kind regards,
Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Automatic system recovery?

Hi all! I've a strange problem. I would use the GNU Make tool on HPUX 11.11. To archive this, i have compiled the sourcecode and renamed HP make in /usr/bin from make to make_old. Now i have make a softlink from /usr/local/bin/make (GNU version) to /usr/bin/make. All things here are ok, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coredump2003
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

3. AIX

make a recovery CD/DVD - system has no writable devices

Hi, Has anyone please got some advise as to how I can make a CD/DVD on an AIX 5.3 system so that it can be fully recoverd just by inserting the backed up system. The system that I need to recover has no writable devices, not even a tape drive (it wasn't specified by me btw). I am trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevek007
0 Replies

4. AIX

System recovery

Hi everyone I'm green AIX user or rather beginner (light green). Unfortunately I have to restore my system + data from scratch (things happen) and make it up and running. I've never done it before. Can someone of you provide me with link/procedure/instruction how to do it? Now I know only:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fraydey
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux system recovery after overriding connect() by "ld.so.preload"

dear fellows; i have used ld.so.preload file to override connect() function, dynamic library overriding, it did worked really fine ...... but i went on to struck in a situation ... within the overrided connect() i have used printf once to see IP and Port to whom the connect request is being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzeeshan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fsck.gfs2 outputs "RG recovery impossible; I can't fix this file system"

I have a CentOS release 5.2 (Final)host running kernel 2.6.18-92.el5 with at raid 10 that had two mirrored drives fail. The drives were re-inserted and now the raid shows healthy (for now). I tried to mount but got an Input/output error. I then attempted a fsck: fsck.gfs2 -y /dev/vg_01/uss_vol... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: king_hippo
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Linux system hangs giving ntp errors

Hi folks, I am facing issue of my system (host1) getting hanged after throwing following ntpd messages. I am not able to ssh to the server there after. only option is to restart the host: Dec 29 02:58:51 host1 ntpd: time reset -0.207907 s Dec 29 02:58:51 host1 ntpd: synchronisation lost Dec 29... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SiddhV
0 Replies
ftpaddhost(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    ftpaddhost(1M)

NAME
ftpaddhost - set up a virtual FTP host SYNOPSIS
ftpaddhost -c | -l [-b] [-x xferlog] hostname root_dir DESCRIPTION
The ftpaddhost script is executed by the super user to set up virtual FTP hosts. The ftpaddhost command configures the virtual host host- name under directory root_dir. The value of hostname can be an IP address or the name of a host. OPTIONS
The ftpaddhost script supports the following options: -b Create a banner for the virtual host. This option is useful to confirm that the virtual host is working. -c Configure complete virtual hosting. This option allows each virtual host to have its own version of the ftpaccess, ftpconversions, ftpgroups, ftphosts, and ftpusers files. The master version of each of these configuration files is copied from the /etc/ftpd directory and placed in the /etc/ftpd/virtual-ftpd/hostname directory. If the /etc/ftpusers file exists it is appended to the virtual ftpusers file. If a virtual host lacks its own version of a configuration file, the master version is used. -l Configure limited virtual hosting. This option allows a small number of parameters to be configured differently for a virtual host. See the virtual keyword on the ftpaccess(4) manual page. -x xferlog Create a logfile entry such that the transfer logs for the virtual host are written to the specified file. An abso- lute path must be specified for the xferlog file. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: hostname The host name or IP address of the virtual server. root_dir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the virtual server is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed FILES
/etc/ftpd/virtual-ftpd/hostname The configuration files directory for the virtual host hostname. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpconfig(1M), in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), ftpconversions(4), ftpgroups(4), ftphosts(4), ftpusers(4), xferlog(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpaddhost(1M)