Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to remove a char before a pattern? Post 302991992 by raju2016 on Monday 20th of February 2017 12:27:16 PM
Old 02-20-2017
How to remove a char before a pattern?

Hi I have a file where i want to remove a char before a specific pattern.
exp:
Code:
CREATE TABLE
 (
 A,
 B,
 C,      ----comma needs to be removed
 )AS SELECT
 A,
 B,
 C,      ----comma needs to be removed
 FROM  TABLE.

So i want to delete the comma(,) after the C both ways.Pattern can be look for ")AS SELECT" and "FROM" .So before this pattern i want to delete a single char which is comma.
my output should:

Code:
CREATE TABLE
 (
 A,
 B,
 C      -----removed comma
 )AS SELECT
 A,
 B,
 C      -----removed comma
 FROM  TABLE.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 02-20-2017 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Added/Changed CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line char from a string

Hi Can anyone tell me how can i remove new line character from a string. My requirement is to read a line from a file and store it to a string. read line string1=$line read line string2=$line echo $string1$string2 The result i am getting in different line. i want the output in the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreedivia
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to remove a char from a specified sub-string

Hi! I'm having trouble usind sed to remove the char ' from within a database's varchar register's sql. For example, on the following sql: INSERT INTO patrimonio_municipal.patrimonio_municipal_airc_tmp Values('|Estação Elevatória|',|16723|,'|Grandes Reparações|', '|2010-03-26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cremat0rio
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I remove the first char using AWK?

Hi everyone, suppose that I have the following line: #test your knowledge can I use AWK to print the word "test" only? without the #? what should I change to this: awk '{print $1}' thanks in advance guys (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulelah
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove char after Colon

Hi guys, This is my input 2735:<7001> 34 789 701 2 2774:<7001> 34 789 701 2 How to delete characters after colon : Including colon : too ? My output should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
3 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help me to remove junk char

I wanted to remove junk char in my csv. :mad: Input file format: "17","9986782190","0","D","2" "17","9900918331","0","D","2" "13","9986782194","0","A","2" Output file format 9986782190 9900918331 9986782194 And one more thing all the time "13"," this will be different Ex: . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddartha
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to remove a special char using sed

consider this is my sample file format. in this i want to remove ^@ with space . please help me in this problm 7305,1310184890,0,0,12,201370,FCASTBHBR0 ,XX ,2,1,2,0,^@,1,1,0,3,1303862400,0,1577923199,1,10,FCASTOR SEED EX-BHABHAR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu-lnx
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the # char form a line?

Hi, my file has below details and I want remove the # char from only specific line. #TEST:00:START #TEST1:01:INPROCESS #TEST2:02:ABOUTTO #TEST3:03:COMP i.e if want remove the # from 2nd line then file to be updated as #TEST:00:START TEST1:01:INPROCESS #TEST2:02:ABOUTTO... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandyrajh
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get char between pattern

hi, this my text ...................... Read 21 physical / 21 logical HMMs Read lattice with 16 nodes / 36 arcs Created network with 53 nodes / 73 links File: speech.mfc !sil two eight six nine six eight !sil == -68.5133 (Act=50.4)...................... i need to extract output text... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove newline char from variable

I have a file ABC.DAT with 2 columns avaialble Data format : XYZ!$#$!120 XXZ!$#$!1000 YYZ!$#$!104 While running the following code : FILE_COUNTER=1; RECORD_CN_FILE_COUNT=$((`wc -l ABC.DAT| cut -f1 -d' '`)); while do FILE_NAME=`cat ABC.DAT.DAT| head -$FILE_COUNTER |tail -1 | awk -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nikhil Gautam
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove char if not a number

I need to write a BASH script that takes a 2 character string and removes the second character if it is not a digit e.g. If the string is numberical value >9 e.g. string1 = '34' then leave string1 = '34'. However if the string is <10 e.g. string1 = '3X' then remove the second char (which... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: millsy5
7 Replies
DROP 
TABLE(7) SQL Commands DROP TABLE(7) NAME
DROP TABLE - remove a table SYNOPSIS
DROP TABLE [ IF EXISTS ] name [, ...] [ CASCADE | RESTRICT ] DESCRIPTION
DROP TABLE removes tables from the database. Only its owner can drop a table. To empty a table of rows without destroying the table, use DELETE [delete(7)] or TRUNCATE [truncate(7)]. DROP TABLE always removes any indexes, rules, triggers, and constraints that exist for the target table. However, to drop a table that is referenced by a view or a foreign-key constraint of another table, CASCADE must be specified. (CASCADE will remove a dependent view entirely, but in the foreign-key case it will only remove the foreign-key constraint, not the other table entirely.) PARAMETERS
IF EXISTS Do not throw an error if the table does not exist. A notice is issued in this case. name The name (optionally schema-qualified) of the table to drop. CASCADE Automatically drop objects that depend on the table (such as views). RESTRICT Refuse to drop the table if any objects depend on it. This is the default. EXAMPLES
To destroy two tables, films and distributors: DROP TABLE films, distributors; COMPATIBILITY
This command conforms to the SQL standard, except that the standard only allows one table to be dropped per command, and apart from the IF EXISTS option, which is a PostgreSQL extension. SEE ALSO
ALTER TABLE [alter_table(7)], CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 DROP TABLE(7)