Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Weird 'find' results
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Weird 'find' results Post 302991840 by bodisha on Thursday 16th of February 2017 07:41:17 PM
Old 02-16-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Hi RudiC,
I don't understand your comments on this issue. The command in this case is:
Code:
find /home -type f -user database -size 1G -ls

which is looking for regular files owned by user database that contain exactly 1073741824 bytes. I don't see that any of first three lines of the -ls output provided by the above find command meet that criteria.

I agree that if the command had been:
Code:
find /home -type f -user database -size -1G -ls

then the output shown might be expected. But with 1G as the -size primary's argument (not -1G), I don't understand the output shown.
Thanks for the reply!

The fact the 1st three lines appear (Bash startup scripts) but don't meet the criteria of my find command when I explicitly using the -size 1G test is why I'm posting. I would expect with the find criteria I'm using for ONLY the large1.log to show up. I'm trying to figure out why the Bash startup scripts are appearing when they shouldn't be.

Last edited by rbatte1; 02-20-2017 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Added ICODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find results

Hi, how can I get only useful results from find / -size 10000000 without the "Permissions denied" files ? tks C (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carmen123
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort find results

Hi-- Ok. I have now found that: find -x -ls will do what I need as far as finding all files on a particular volume. Now I need to sort the results by the file's modification date/time. Is there a way to do that? Also, I notice that for many files, whereas the man for find says ls is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to move find results

I am looking for files of a certian type and logging them. After they are logged they need to be moved to a different directory. HOw can i incorporate that in my current script? CSV_OUTFILE="somefile.csv" find . -name W\* -exec printf "%s,%s,OK" {} `date '+%Y%m%d%H%M%S'` \; > ${CSV_OUTFILE} ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pimentelgg
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

byte swapping 32-bit float and weird od results

I'm attempting to read a file that is composed of complex 32-bit floating point values on Solaris 10 that came from a 64-bit Red Hat computer. When I first tried reading the file, it looked like there was a byte-swapping problem and after running the od command on the file Solaris and Red Hat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoDonkeys
2 Replies

5. Programming

Weird timing results in C

I was running some timings in my code to see which of several functions was the best and I've been getting some odd results. Here's the code I'm using: static double time_loop(int (*foo)(int)) { clock_t start, end; int n = 0, i = 0; start = clock(); for (; i <= MAXN; i++) if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files older than X with a weird file format

I have an issue with a korn shell script that I am writing. The script parses through a configuration file which lists a heap of path/directories for some files which need to be FTP'd. Now the script needs to check whether there are any files which have not been processed and are X minutes old. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MickAAA
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort find results

Hi, I have a problem with a shell script. The script should find all .cpp and .h files and list them. With: for file in `find $src -name '*.h' -o -name '*.cpp' it gives out this: H:\FileList\A\E\F\G\newCppFile.cpp H:\FileList\header01.h H:\FileList\B\nextCppFile.cpp ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellBeginner75
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do ls -l on results of grep and find?

Hi, Am running the command below to search for files that contains a certain string. grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1 -print` | grep "^./scripts/active" How do I get it to do a ls -l on the list of files? I tried doing ls -l `grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] weird in find -exec command

i feel weird with this 2 command find /tmp/*test* -user `whoami` -mtime +1 -type f -exec rm -f {}\; find /tmp/*test* -user `whoami` -mtime +1 -type f -exec ls -lrt {}\; the first one return correct which only delete those filename that consist *test* where second command it listed all the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find out the weird blank characters?

I have a text file downloaded from the web, I want to count the unique words used in the file, and a person's speaking length during conversation by counting the words between the opening and closing quotation marks which differ from the standard ASCII code. Also I found out the file contains some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies
amt(1)								   User Commands							    amt(1)

NAME
amt - run abstract machine test SYNOPSIS
amt [-s] DESCRIPTION
The amt command is for use in a Common Criteria security certified system. The command is used to verify that the low level functions nec- essary to enforce the object reuse requirements of the Controlled Access Protection Profile are working correctly. /usr/bin/amt is a shell script that executes tests specific to your system. For a 32-bit system, the tests run as a 32-bit application. For a 64-bit system, the tests run twice; once as a 32-bit application and once as a 64-bit application. amt lists test results with a pass or fail for each test it performs, unless output is suppressed with the -s option. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -s Suppresses output. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 All tests passed. >0 Count of the number of tests that failed. <0 Incorrect command line argument. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 19 Aug 2003 amt(1)