Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages Post 302989713 by invinzin21 on Tuesday 17th of January 2017 12:32:59 PM
Old 01-17-2017
So it will throw the output below in /var/log/audit/audit.log? I beleive I have tried this before.
THanks

Code:
Jan 13 17:09:05 SERVER1 bash[727]: user1: ls -l
Jan 13 17:09:05 SERVER1 bash[731]: user1:  hostname
Jan 13 17:09:05 SERVER1 bash[735]: user5: uname -a
Jan 13 17:09:05 SERVER1 bash[739]: user2: clear

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 01-18-2017 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

log users real time

hi.... how i can configurator a log file on real time....on unix solaris.... thanks a lot.... Best Regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanfle
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Real time log file redirect

Hi all, i would like to write the shell script program, it can monitor the access_log "real time" when the access_log writing the line contain "abcdef" the program will be "COPY" this line into a file named "abcdef.txt", do the same thing if the contain "123456" "COPY" it into a file named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help interpreting var/log/messages log

I'm using RHEL and my var/log/messages file is filled with "FTP session opened/closed" lines that happen all day: Aug 2 04:04:38 web proftpd: 74.125.56.10 (142.231.76.249) - FTP session closed. Aug 2 04:05:11 web proftpd: 74.125.56.10 (142.231.88.123) - FTP session opened.Is this normal? We... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaspol
2 Replies

4. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/sudoers for allowing oracle user to /var/log/messages

So I want the DBA to access /var/log/messages and so I logged in as root and then edited the sudoers file as follows "oracle ALL= (root) /bin/view, /var/log/messages" However when I login as oracle and try "sudo more /var/log/messages" I get Sorry, user oracle is not allowed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] How to see log in real time?

Hi people I have a bash script with a line like this: python example.py >> log & But i can't see anything in the log file while python program is running only if the program ends seems to write the log file. "$ cat log" for example don't show anything until the program ends. Is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tieso
4 Replies

9. SuSE

Non root user want to see /var/log/messages - any suse equivalent of Solaris dmesg

Hi New to Suse - mainly used Solaris. In solaris dmesg will also show you contents of messages log file but in Suse Liux it doesnt appear to. I dont have root access to this Suse server, and wondering is there any other tool / utility that allows me to see the messages file contents like on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog

I have been searching and reading about syslog. I would like to know how to Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog. tail -f /var/log/messages dblogger: msg_to_dbrow: no logtype using missing dblogger: msg_to_dbrow_str: val ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors [-s min_timestamp] doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors [-s min_timestamp] The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. -s min_timestamp An integer value, representing seconds since the epoch - also known as Unix timestamp. When a min_timestamp was given, doveadm(1) will only show errors occurred since that point in time. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.2 2013-11-24 DOVEADM-LOG(1)