Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To extract certain columnns with header Post 302989317 by RudiC on Wednesday 11th of January 2017 04:55:31 AM
Old 01-11-2017
How about this very simple approach for exactly the problem you posted:
Code:
awk '
NR == 1         {match ($0, HD1)
                 P1 = RSTART
                 L1 = RLENGTH
                 match ($0, HD2)
                 P2 = RSTART
                 L2 = RLENGTH
                 match ($0, HD3)
                 P3 = RSTART
                 L3 = RLENGTH
                }
                {print substr ($0, P1, L1), substr ($0, P2, L2), substr ($0, P3, L3)
                }
' HD1=" ORD NO *" HD2=" P A R T  N U M B E R *" HD3="INV NO / SER NO *" file
 ORD NO     P A R T  N U M B E R     INV NO / SER NO 
---------  ------------------------  --------------- 
490117701  PEF0AM1MX2MX40MM          8916            
490118901  3M7447                    SM0883          
490126001  SAFETYC0NE30IN            1412008         
490105304  C0TT0NRAG                 13264

These 3 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract duplicate records with associated header record

All, I have a task to search through several hundred files and extract duplicate detail records and keep them grouped with their header record. If no duplicate detail record exists, don't pull the header. For example, an input file could look like this: input.txt HA D1 D2 D2 D3 D4 D4... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_eim
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from file header and prefix it to all lines

Hello All, I have a file in the following format. I want to extract the date(020090930, 020090929) in the string "STPAGE020090930" and "STPAGE020090929" and prefix it to all lines below them. The output must be put into a new file. STPAGE020090930 xyzz aalc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: john2022
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract header from top command output

hi, I want to extract and save the cpu(s) information from top command output, but individual cpu statistics separately on a multi-processor machine. In command line, top will show this statistics when we press the switch "1". any ideas? thanks, meharo (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meharo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific content from data and rename its header problem asking

Input file 1: >pattern_5 GAATTCGTTCATGTAGGTTGASDASFGDSGRTYRYGHDGSDFGSDGGDSGSDGSDFGSDF ATTTAATTATGATTCATACGTCATATGTTATTATTCAATCGTATAAAATTATGTGACCTT SDFSDGSDFKSDAFLKJASLFJASKLFSJAKJFHASJKFHASJKFHASJKFHSJAKFHAW >pattern_1 AAGTCTTAAGATATCACCGTCGATTAGGTTTATACAGCTTTTGTGTTATTTAAATTTGAC... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK BEGIN to extract file header info into variables

Hi Folks, I've searched for this for quite a while, but can't find any solution - hope someone can help. I have various files with standard headers. eg. <HEADER> IP: 1.2.3.4 Username: Joe Time: 12:00:00 Date: 23/05/2010 </HEADER> This is a test and this part can be any size... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: damoske
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns where header matches a given string

Hi, I'm having trouble pulling out columns where the headers match a file of key ID's I'm interested in and was looking for some help. file1.txt I Name 34 56 84 350 790 1215 1919 7606 9420 file2.txt I Name 1 1 2 2 3 3 ... 34 34... 56 56... 84 84... 350 350... M 1 A A A A... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all others

Friends, I need help with the following in UNIX. Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all other files. FYI - All files are in same format and contains same headers. Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiny_Roy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns based on header

Hi to all, I have two files. File1 has no header, two columns: sample1 A sample2 B sample3 B sample4 C sample5 A sample6 D sample7 D File2 has a header, except for the first 3 columns (chr,start,end). "sample1" is the header for the 4th ,5th ,6th columns, "sample2" is the header... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aec
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script to extract a column, replace one of the header and replace year(from ddmmyy to yyyy)

I have a csv which has lot of columns . I was looking for an awk script which would extract a column twice. for the first occurance the header and data needs to be intact but for the second occurance i want to replace the header name since it a duplicate and extract year value which is in ddmmyy... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kunalcurious
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies
MAILQ(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MAILQ(1)

NAME
mailq - print the mail queue SYNOPSIS
mailq [-Ac] [-q...] [-v] DESCRIPTION
Mailq prints a summary of the mail messages queued for future delivery. The first line printed for each message shows the internal identifier used on this host for the message with a possible status character, the size of the message in bytes, the date and time the message was accepted into the queue, and the envelope sender of the message. The second line shows the error message that caused this message to be retained in the queue; it will not be present if the message is being processed for the first time. The status characters are either * to indicate the job is being processed; X to indicate that the load is too high to process the job; and - to indicate that the job is too young to process. The following lines show message recipients, one per line. Mailq is identical to ``sendmail -bp''. The relevant options are as follows: -Ac Show the mail submission queue specified in /etc/mail/submit.cf instead of the MTA queue specified in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. -qL Show the "lost" items in the mail queue instead of the normal queue items. -qQ Show the quarantined items in the mail queue instead of the normal queue items. -q[!]I substr Limit processed jobs to those containing substr as a substring of the queue id or not when ! is specified. -q[!]Q substr Limit processed jobs to quarantined jobs containing substr as a substring of the quarantine reason or not when ! is specified. -q[!]R substr Limit processed jobs to those containing substr as a substring of one of the recipients or not when ! is specified. -q[!]S substr Limit processed jobs to those containing substr as a substring of the sender or not when ! is specified. -v Print verbose information. This adds the priority of the message and a single character indicator (``+'' or blank) indicating whether a warning message has been sent on the first line of the message. Additionally, extra lines may be intermixed with the recipients indicating the ``controlling user'' information; this shows who will own any programs that are executed on behalf of this message and the name of the alias this command expanded from, if any. Moreover, status messages for each recipient are printed if available. Several sendmail.cf options influence the behavior of the mailq utility: The number of items printed per queue group is restricted by MaxQueueRunSize if that value is set. The status character * is not printed for some values of QueueSortOrder, e.g., filename, random, modification, and none, unless a -q option is used to limit the processed jobs. The mailq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) HISTORY
The mailq command appeared in 4.0BSD. $Date: 2013-11-22 20:51:55 $ MAILQ(1)