Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Redirection? (I do find some of the strangest things.) Post 302989240 by wisecracker on Tuesday 10th of January 2017 09:39:41 AM
Old 01-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Did you check the exit code of the command in either case?
No. As it is unimportant; I just don't want it to show nor crash out when a relatively serious error occurs but to be ignored. These are three lines in the code to suit:-
1) \dev\dsp for CygWin, OSS and PulseAudio for Linux.
2) ALSA for Linux ALSA sound systems.
3) OSX 10.12.x or maybe earlier.
If any one fails just ignore and carry on to the next. One of them will work.
Code:
# CygWin /dev/dsp, Linux OSS or PulseAudio.
> /dev/null 2>&1 cat /tmp/noise.raw > /dev/dsp
# Linux ALSA.
aplay /tmp/noise.wav > /dev/null 2>&1
# Apple OSX 10.12.x and greater.
afplay /tmp/noise.wav > /dev/null 2>&1

As Apple OSX 10.7.x at least has 'afplay' by default on a virgin install then there should be no reason for the code to fail.
CygWin(64) has /dev/dsp in a default virgin install.
Linux is variable as it could have either ALSA, OSS or PulseAudio sound systems.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i get the strangest feeling that lilo hates me.

i need to get rid of lilo's splash screen. i've heard that you can edit your /etc/lilo.conf and add this line: <b>append="splash=0"</b> anyway, i did that and i still have a splash screen. any idea why that didn't work, or what is another way to disable the splash screen? okay, -nydel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nydel
1 Replies

2. Programming

Complicating things?

So basically what im trying to do is ... Open file, read that file, than try to find .. We or we and replace them with I, but not replace the cases where words contain We or we, such as Went, went, etc a and replace them with the, but not replace the cases where words contain a, such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bconnor
1 Replies

3. Programming

Question about several things in C

Hey guys, first of all I'd like to say Hi to everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. I have a question about some C stuff. I am in Computer Science and I have an assignment for a UNIX Applications course. It is really complicated, however. We're using the C language for this and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: V4D3R
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell redirection in find

hi, i need to clear data off a DOA backup drive. i try this, but just get a file {} in . and no change on the backup drive. bash shell find /mnt/usbbackup -xdev -type f -exec echo `date` > {} \; any ideas? thanks. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drewnichols
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just trying to find out a few things ....

Hi everyone Just a couple of quick questions if I may. Can I ask what is meant by "flavours"?? I've come across it many times in the forums and I'm guessing that it is a variery of either Linux or UNIX (I know nil about either) which has developed but not really got a clue. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tiramisu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Several exec on find send all the output to the last redirection

Example script: find mydir -type f -exec echo {}>aaa \; -exec echo {}>bbb \;The two paths go the the bbb file, while there should be one of them on each file. How should I do it to get it working? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies
AOSS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   AOSS(1)

NAME
aoss - Wrapper script to facilitate use of the ALSA OSS compatibility library. SYNOPSIS
aoss osscommand [arguments] DESCRIPTION
aoss is a simple wrapper script which facilitates the use of the ALSA OSS compatibility library. It just sets the appropriate LD_PRELOAD path and then runs the command. This is useful in cases where routing settings (which can be made in your .asoundrc file) need to be applied to commands that use the OSS API. Examples of asoundrc configuration: pcm.dsp0 { type plug slave.pcm "hw:0,0" } or pcm.dsp0 { type plug slave.pcm "dmix" } In the above configuration examples, the pcm.dsp0 definition is used to wrap calls do /dev/dsp0. You can also wrap usage of /dev/dsp1, /dev/dsp2, etc. by defining pcm.dsp1, pcm.dsp2, etc.. The PCM name to open can be given explicitly via ALSA_OSS_PCM_DEVICE environment variable, too. This overrides the default dsp0, etc. Note on mmap: aoss mmap support might be buggy. Your results may vary when trying to use an application that uses mmap'ing to access the OSS device files. Arguments osscommand A command that uses the OSS API arguments The appropriate arguments and options for the OSS command. AUTHORS The OSS compatibility library is by Abramo Bagnara <abramo@alsa-project.org>. The aoss script and this document are by James Tappin <james@xena.uklinux.net>. 3 October 2001 AOSS(1)