Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge strings with ignore case Post 302989002 by RavinderSingh13 on Friday 6th of January 2017 06:26:29 AM
Old 01-06-2017
Hello gimley,

As your haven't provided more sample Input_file, so it is tested with all permutations and combinations.
Code:
awk -F'=' 'FNR==NR{A[tolower($1)]=A[tolower($1)]?A[tolower($1)]","$NF:$NF;next} (tolower($1) in A){print A[tolower($1)];delete A[tolower($1)]}'  Input_file  Input_file

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore Case in Shell

Hi New to this Unix dot com. I would like to know how i can ignore the case in filename which is getting as user directoty to shell script. For Ex: Source (/aa/bb/patch/) Directory may contains more than 1 files as like 1. aa.csv or Aa.csv or AA.csv or aa.CSV 2. bb.csv 3. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAH
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore case sensitive in Case Switch

In a Case switch, how to ignore case sensitive in the test: e.g. case "$field" in "TEST) action1;; *) action2;; esac How to go in action1 in case of $field = TEST , or Test , or test or .... without enumerating all possibilities... Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annelisa
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I ignore one character in a case statement? PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I am new to this forums. I need help with shell, and ksh in particular. I have a case statement that does something if -k. So it looks like: case $arg in -k) PUT=y, SEND=1 Thats all good and dandy. But now I want to change it where whether or not the user puts -k or not, it will do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpunisher
2 Replies

4. Programming

Ignore case in a test?

How do I ignore the case in an if condition..? EDIT: I put this in the wrong board...this is a linux script. if then echo "Same name." else echo "Different name." fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to ignore case

Hi All, The means I use to ignore case, as an example is the following snippet: It should accept any oof the following y|Y|YES|Yes|n|N|NO|No echo "Enter Y/N to continue: " read choice; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To ignore user input case.

hi, i will like to know whether awk command can ignore case? i written a script that will take in user input and search for data on the 1st field from a text file. echo -n "Title:" read title awk -F":" '$1~/'"$title"'/{print $0}' Filename read ans return ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple but challenging ignore case

Folks - I found this code on the forums to extract a paragraph for a matching pattern but I don't know how to make it ignore case. grep "-ip" is not an option for me as I am on SUSE LINUX. Thanks for ur help. I run this script as below: grep_para.ksh sqlstate < logfile "The end result... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beowulfkid
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to ignore CAPS or case sensitivity?

If I'm using a program that is expecting certain filenames and directories to be all CAPS, isn't there a way to ignore this in linux/cshell scripting? I.e., similiar to ignoring spaces with " (i.e., directory is directory 1, can ignore by typing "directory 1".) ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebazon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore case in awk while pattern searching

Hi , I have the file where i have to search for the pattern. The pattern may be lower case or upper case or camel case. Basically I want to ignore while searching the pattern in awk. awk '/error|warning/exception/' filename Please help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to ignore Case with in COMM command?

Hi, How can i ignore case between 2 files in unix using COMM command. 2 input files are: -bash-4.1$ more x2.txt HELLO hi HI raj -bash-4.1$ more x3.txt hello hi raj COMM command: -bash-4.1$ comm x2.txt x3.txt hello HELLO hi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies
TOUPPER(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							TOUPPER(3)

NAME
toupper, tolower - convert letter to upper or lower case SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); int tolower(int c); DESCRIPTION
toupper() converts the letter c to upper case, if possible. tolower() converts the letter c to lower case, if possible. If c is not an unsigned char value, or EOF, the behavior of these functions is undefined. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is that of the converted letter, or c if the conversion was not possible. CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, 4.3BSD. BUGS
The details of what constitutes an uppercase or lowercase letter depend on the current locale. For example, the default "C" locale does not know about umlauts, so no conversion is done for them. In some non-English locales, there are lowercase letters with no corresponding uppercase equivalent; the German sharp s is one example. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), setlocale(3), towlower(3), towupper(3), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1993-04-04 TOUPPER(3)