Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun v215 Fan Speed
Operating Systems Solaris Sun v215 Fan Speed Post 302988478 by DukeNuke2 on Tuesday 27th of December 2016 04:51:47 AM
Old 12-27-2016
The fans are controlled by the service processor due to the enviromental conditions. If something is of with the fans, a firmware update might help.

So updating the ALOM and OBP to latest level might solve your problems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dmidecode, RAM speed = "Current Speed: Unknown"

Hello, I have a Supermicro server with a P4SCI mother board running Debian Sarge 3.1. This is the "dmidecode" output related to RAM info: RAM speed information is incomplete.. "Current Speed: Unknown", is there anyway/soft to get the speed of installed RAM modules? thanks!! Regards :)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun box's NIC speed setting

Is there a way to check if my Sun box's network interface card is set to 10 or 100 Mbps? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

3. BSD

Fan control

Hi all, Is there any way that I can get some control over th fan in my Evo N400C laptop running OpenBSD 4.0? Right now the fan is running constantly and it woulf be nice if it could be quiet sometime. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Timmy66
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to connect to Sunfire v215 box via XStart

SUN DataBase Server (Sunfire v215) Machine addresses Server IP:10.8.104.53 Server Mgmt IP:10.8.104.51 Server hostname:memstestdb OS passwords root:********* oracle:********* ALOM (Admin/Management) Machine IP: 10.8.104.51 ALOM account and password: admin:s@vi2005 (Note: at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jai111
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Fan failure

would Solaris 10 shutdown automatically if both CPU fans fail? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Fire V240 server Fan replacement

I have a sun fire v240 server. The output of prtdiag -v shows a failed fan. There are 3 fans for cooling system board. There is 1 fan for each of the powersupply (There are 2 powersupplies) From the below output how do i know which fan is bad and whats its location... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
3 Replies

8. Hardware

How to remove fan from cpu fan chassis?

hi all, kindly help in this matter. Can i check anyone has any experience in removing the CPU fan from its chassis? my fan is spoilt and i wish to replace with other type. See picture below.. http://zone11.codemicroinc.netdna-cdn.com/large_1054367.jpg ---------- Post updated at 05:15 PM... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lchunleo
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Fire V210 CPU Fan Temp too high?

Hey, I have a V210 with a failed CPU fan. The temperature is currently at 84C and I've been asked to wait a few weeks before replacing as its a production system and it cant be shut down yet. Is it too hot? Do I risk killing the CPU at this temp? Its been like this for a few weeks now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: magarvo
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Sun v215 ALOM Reset

Hi all, I got a v215 but the login credentials are unknown. I plug the serial management RS232-RJ45 and get the output on the terminal. I reseted NVRAM and battery but I can't use the default login still. After these operations the output from boot is as such ; ALOM POST 1.0 Status =... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: y33t
21 Replies
PWMCONFIG(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      PWMCONFIG(8)

NAME
pwmconfig - tests the PWM outputs of sensors and configures fancontrol SYNOPSIS
pwmconfig WARNING
pwmconfig will attempt to stop your fans, one at a time, for approximately 5 seconds each. This may cause your processor temperature to rise. Verify that all fans are running at normal speed after this program has exited. pwmconfig does its best to check that the fans are spinning when they are supposed to, but due to the diversity of available motherboards and fans, it shouldn't be blindly trusted. Always verify by yourself. It is strongly recommended to run pwmconfig at a time when there is no significant system load, to minimize the risk of overheating. DESCRIPTION
pwmconfig searches your sensors for pulse width modulation (PWM) controls, and tests each one to see if it controls a fan on your mother- board. Note that many motherboards do not have PWM circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports PWM. When a connection is established between a PWM control and a fan, pwmconfig can generate a detailed correlation, to show how a given fan is responding to various PWM duty cycles. Lastly, pwmconfig will enter in fancontrol configuration mode (unless you decide to skip that part.) In this mode, you are invited to enter several parameters which will determine how the fancontrol daemon regulates the speed of one or more fans in your system based on tempera- ture measurements. In particular, you will have the opportunity to establish mappings between fans and temperature inputs, define the tem- perature range over which the speed of the fan should be adjusted dynamically, the minimum speed at which the fan should spin, etc. See fancontrol(8) for additional information. BUGS
The term "PWM" is used because most fan control systems in computers are based on pulse width modulation. Some motherboards however use DC variation instead. So, the term "PWM" should be seen as a generic term for "fan speed control", regardless of the actual method used. SEE ALSO
fancontrol(8), sensors(1). AUTHORS
Marius Reiner <marius.reiner@hdev.de>, Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> lm-sensors 3 September 28, 2008 PWMCONFIG(8)