Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Can't delete a file in the trash on OSX 10.11.6 Post 302988007 by hicksd8 on Monday 19th of December 2016 02:29:53 PM
Old 12-19-2016
Hi,

Read this thread:

File name starts with esc character.

I'm not a OSX expert but, as with generic Unix/Linux, if all else fails, nuke the inode. The inode is the only route that the OS can find the file. If the inode doesn't exist, neither does the file.

Read Corona688's post#2.

If Corona688 is on here today with luck he may well chip in.

---------- Post updated at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:16 PM ----------

And don't forget you can have the same inode number on different filesystems. So make absolutely sure which filesystem you are operating on.

sent from my HTC smartphone
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permisions 2000 to OSX

Could anyone tell me how or point me in the right direction on how to save files from a 2000box to a OSX server with the correct file permissions. File goes over and the only person that has r/w permissions is the owner everyone else is read only. HELP!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mom
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Script for automatic deletion of trash file of mail server

Hi, I have a mail server with limited space and operating system is sun solaris 8 (sparc). I do not have provisions to increase the space for home directory. So i have to delete files from /home/username/mail/trash which are more than 10 days old automatically. So my script should be like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crown2100bd
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

unix executable file problem on MAC OSX ??? please help

I've got this problem. My computers and external hard drives are converting many of my files to a Unix Executable File which has a grey terminal looking icon. I don't understand what is causing this to happen. It is happening to a large number of my image file of different formats and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chadb
1 Replies

4. Linux

Emptying Trash

Hi all i hope someone can help me, in gnome if you right click on trash, you get another menu appear 'Empty Trash' what i want to do is be able to edit this command so that it secure deletes the trash, where is that command? so i can edit it. thanks in advance for any help, Dave (shred -z -u ) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave123
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trash

Hello, I deleted a file accidentally using rm-f inside a folder. Is there any option/command to retrive the file or is it possible to recover from trash? or once the file is deleted, it is gone completely?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sydney2008
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Delete restore and empty trash

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: A set of Linux shell scripts is required to allow users to ‘remove' files without them really disappearing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr100perecent
1 Replies

7. Solaris

trash can in solaris

one quick question please.. is Solaris have a RECYLE BIN,or TRASH to retrive deleted files accidently ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sojourner
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Locking with fcntl on Darwin Mac OSX

Hello I have a Perl script that works on non-darwin Mac OS X environments and I think I have narrowed down the issue to a file locking problem. In other linux environments, the flock struct is defined differently. I have adjusted this via the reference for Mac OS X fcntl(2) man page. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagman5
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

XFCE Desktop - trash, cannot execute file, command prompt here missing.

Hi there, I am using the xfce4 is already the newest version (4.12.5). thunar is already the newest version (1.8.4-1). The distribution is Linux kali 4.19.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.13-1kali1 (2019-01-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux However, the problem is: When I when I click on any program to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies
SETQUOTA(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SETQUOTA(8)

NAME
setquota - set disk quotas SYNOPSIS
setquota [ -rm ] [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] name block-softlimit block-hardlimit inode-softlimit inode-hardlimit -a | filesys- tem... setquota [ -rm ] [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] [ -p protoname ] name -a | filesystem... setquota -b [ -rm ] [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] -a | filesystem... setquota -t [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] block-grace inode-grace -a | filesystem... setquota -T [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] name block-grace inode-grace -a | filesystem... DESCRIPTION
setquota is a command line quota editor. The filesystem, user/group/project name and new quotas for this filesystem can be specified on the command line. Note that if a number is given in the place of a user/group/project name it is treated as an UID/GID/project ID. -r, --remote Edit also remote quota use rpc.rquotad on remote server to set quota. This option is available only if quota tools were compiled with enabled support for setting quotas over RPC. -m, --no-mixed-pathnames Currently, pathnames of NFSv4 mountpoints are sent without leading slash in the path. rpc.rquotad uses this to recognize NFSv4 mounts and properly prepend pseudoroot of NFS filesystem to the path. If you specify this option, setquota will always send paths with a leading slash. This can be useful for legacy reasons but be aware that quota over RPC will stop working if you are using new rpc.rquotad. -F, --format=quotaformat Perform setting for specified format (ie. don't perform format autodetection). Possible format names are: vfsold Original quota format with 16-bit UIDs / GIDs, vfsv0 Quota format with 32-bit UIDs / GIDs, 64-bit space usage, 32-bit inode usage and limits, vfsv1 Quota format with 64-bit quota limits and usage, rpc (quota over NFS), xfs (quota on XFS filesystem) -u, --user Set user quotas for named user. This is the default. -g, --group Set group quotas for named group. -P, --project Set project quotas for named project. -p, --prototype=protoname Use quota settings of user, group or project protoname to set the quota for the named user, group or project. --always-resolve Always try to translate user / group / project name to uid / gid / project ID even if the name is composed of digits only. -b, --batch Read information to set from stdin (input format is name block-softlimit block-hardlimit inode-softlimit inode-hardlimit ). Empty lines and lines starting with # are ignored. -c, --continue-batch If parsing of an input line in batch mode fails, continue with processing the next line. -t, --edit-period Set grace times for users/groups/projects. Times block-grace and inode-grace are specified in seconds. -T, --edit-times Alter times for individual user/group/project when softlimit is enforced. Times block-grace and inode-grace are specified in seconds or can be string 'unset'. -a, --all Go through all filesystems with quota in /etc/mtab and perform setting. block-softlimit and block-hardlimit are interpreted as multiples of kibibyte (1024 bytes) blocks by default. Symbols K, M, G, and T can be appended to numeric value to express kibibytes, mebibytes, gibibytes, and tebibytes. inode-softlimit and inode-hardlimit are interpreted literally. Symbols k, m, g, and t can be appended to numeric value to express multiples of 10^3, 10^6, 10^9, and 10^12 inodes. To disable a quota, set the corresponding parameter to 0. To change quotas for several filesystems, invoke once for each filesystem. Only the super-user may edit quotas. FILES
aquota.user or aquota.group quota file at the filesystem root (version 2 quota, non-XFS filesystems) quota.user or quota.group quota file at the filesystem root (version 1 quota, non-XFS filesystems) /etc/mtab mounted filesystem table SEE ALSO
edquota(8), quota(1), quotactl(2), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8), repquota(8) SETQUOTA(8)