Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting CUT command not giving correct result inside loop Post 302987039 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 3rd of December 2016 08:34:17 PM
Old 12-03-2016
Try something like:
Code:
while IFS=\| read s q x
do
  printf "%s\n" "$s" "$q" "$x"
done < $file

--
Note: it is best to quote variable expansions to avoid interpretation by the shell:
Code:
echo "$s"

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell - Command Inside a Loop

I have a command nested in some while loops to parse some data that looks something like this. while ($condition) while ($condition) ... gzcat /dir/$fileName.gz | grep $searchString > out_file end end On the first loop, the command is executed properly (and takes maybe 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobbers
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK not giving me correct output.

i have a line like this in my script IP=`get_IP <hostname> | awk '{ print $1 }' echo $IP the problem is get_IP <hostname> returns data formated as follows: ip 1.1.1.1 name server_name the code above returns 1.1.1.1 server_name and i just need the 1.1.1.1 I have tried to add "|... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcdef
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

if statement is not giving correct op

Hi I am using a awk command but not getting required o/p. input file a.txt 2 ak 3 cb 4 de 5 gh 6 ij awk program BEGIN { x=0 } {if ($1>3) {x=x+1}{print $0} } END { print "I found " x " line have value more than 3" } output 2 ak 3 cb 4 de 5 gh 6 ij (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not correct processing of “\ “ in names of dirs inside shell script (tar command - system backup scr

Hello, Recently, I've started with shell scripting, and decided to write a script for my system backup using tar. When I was dealing with tar execution inside shell script I found this, inside shell we have the following code: tar $TAR_PARAMS $ARCHIVE_FILE $EXCLUDE $BACKUP_STARTwith... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilnar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the whole line which contains the result of the command cut

Hey everyone I have a file 'agenda' which contains: Object Day Month Year Birthday 09 02 2012 i want to extract from a script the line which contains the day the user typed. for example if he type 09 the line is showed using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goldstein
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How i can put the result of a command inside a bash variable?

#!/bin/bash #... for i in `ls -c1 /usr/share/applications` do name="cat $i | grep ^Name= | cut -d = -f2" echo $name #... done Now inside name as output is present: while i want only the result of the command. Ideally i would like obtain that information using only bash ... or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexscript
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a command inside a while loop?

How do we execute a command inside a while loop? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies

8. AIX

Lsof command giving while loop

Hello, There is a process in AIX which is actually a oracle database user session but is running very slow When I use lsof it give below output lsof /proc/21955180 In while loop:256 In while loop:256 In while loop:256 In while loop:256 Value of I :183 np:1024 Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sql command inside shell script runs without giving anything back as outout

#!/bin/sh # This script returns the number of rows updated from a function echo "The execution is starting ....." sqlplus -silent $UP <<EOF set serveroutput on set echo off set pagesize 0 VAR no_rows_updated NUMBER; EXEC :no_rows_updated :=0; DECLARE CURSOR c_update is SELECT * FROM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)