Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge multiple tab delimited files with index checking Post 302986850 by LMHmedchem on Wednesday 30th of November 2016 01:26:19 PM
Old 11-30-2016
Thanks, I got this working.

I made two changes,

split (FILENAME, T, ""
to
split (FILENAME, T, "_"

to split on underscore.

and,

HD = HD OFS $4 "_" T[1] "_" T[2] "_" T[3]
to
HD = HD OFS T[1] "_" T[2] "_" T[3]

to skip the original "E0" in the new header name.

Run time was 0.2 seconds to process 40 files with 2500 rows and 43 columns.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# name of output file
output_file=$1

awk '
NR == 1         {HD = $1 OFS $3
                }
FNR == 1        {split (FILENAME, T, "_")
                 HD = HD OFS T[1] "_" T[2] "_" T[3]
                }

{IX  = FNR - 1
                 MAX = IX>MAX?IX:MAX 
                }

FNR == NR       {ID[IX]   = $1
                 NAME[IX] = $3
                }
$1 == ID[IX] &&
$3 == NAME[IX]  {OUT[IX]  = OUT[IX]  $4 OFS
                 next
                }

{OUT[IX]  = OUT[IX] OFS
                }

END             {print HD
                 for (i=1; i<=MAX; i++) print ID[i], NAME[i], OUT[i]
                }
' OFS="\t" *_*_pred.txt  > $output_file

I can more or less follow what this script is doing. I guess you could make it more general by using variables for the columns you are checking and outputting?

Could you do some things like,
Code:
-v var1='$1' -v var2='$2'
ID[IX] = var1
NAME[IX] = var2

LMHmedchem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple commands TAB delimited

Hey guys... Running Solaris 5.6, trying to write an easy /sbin/sh script. I want to run several commands, then have the results appear on one line. Additionally, I want the results to be separated by <TAB>. Let's say that my script calls three commands (date, pwd, and hostname), I would want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with Tab-Delimited files

I have a tab-Delimited file: Eg: 'test' file contains: a<tab>b<tab>c<tab>.... Based on certain condition, I wanna increase the number of lines of this file.How do I do that Eg: If some value in the database is 1 then one line in 'test' file is fine.. If some value in the database is 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiroh_1982
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge two text files of different size on common index

I have two text files. text file 1: ID filePath col1 col2 col3 1 10584588.mol 269.126 190.958 23.237 2 10584549.mol 281.001 200.889 27.7414 3 10584511.mol 408.824 158.316 29.8561 4 10584499.mol 245.632 153.241 25.2815 5 10584459.mol ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

merge two tab delimited file with exact same number of rows in unix/linux

Hi I have two tab delimited file with different number of columns but same number of rows. I need to combine these two files in such a way that row 1 in file 2 comes adjacent to row 1 in file 1. For example: The content of file1: field1 field2 field3 a1 a2 a3 b1 b2 b3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary271
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to merge two files on an index

I have a need to merge two files on the value of an index column. input file 1 id filePath MDL_NUMBER 1 MFCD00008104.mol MFCD00008104 2 MFCD00012849.mol MFCD00012849 3 MFCD00037597.mol MFCD00037597 4 MFCD00064558.mol MFCD00064558 5 MFCD00064559.mol MFCD00064559 input file 2 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a header record (tab delimited) in multiple files

Hi Forum. I'm struggling to find a solution for the following issue. I have multiple files a1.txt, a2.txt, a3.txt, etc. and I would like to insert a tab-delimited header record at the beginning of each of the files. This is my code so far but it's not working as expected. for i in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort the 6th field of tab delimited files?

Here's a sample of the data: NAME BIRTHDAY SEX LOCATION AGE ID Jim 05/11/1986 M Japan 27 86 Rei 08/25/1990 F Korea 24 33 Jane 02/24/1985 F India 29 78 I've been trying to sort files using the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maihani
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX - 2 tab delimited files, conditional column extraction

Please know that I am very new to unix and trying to learn 'on the job'. I'm only manipulating large tab-delimited files (millions of rows), but I'm stuck and don't know how to proceed with the following. Hoping for some friendly advice :) I have 2 tab-delimited files - with differing column &... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: GTed
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match tab-delimited files based on key

I thought I had this figured out but was wrong so am humbly asking for help. The task is to add an additional column to FILE 1 based on records in FILE 2. The key is in COLUMN 1 for FILE 1 and in COLUMN 1 OR COLUMN 2 for FILE 2. I want to add the third column from FILE 2 to the beginning of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
8 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)