Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SOCKS proxy & PAM configuration exposure Post 302986627 by rbatte1 on Monday 28th of November 2016 12:02:49 PM
Old 11-28-2016
SOCKS proxy & PAM configuration exposure

I've got a problem with a proxy configuration. We have an LDAP group that lists all users who are authorised to use the proxy to FTP (usually Filezilla) out to the world, and by implication those not in the group should be denied. My users are delighted that this has been enabled and those that wish to get out can do so, however we're not stopping anyone not in the group (and therefore not authorised)

We found this out because I'm not authorised but whilst troubleshooting for a user I connected out no problem. That ended up being a user password problem, so they failed the LDAP check and so PAM prevented the connection.

I haven't got a test server so I will have to get a slot outside business hours (which will be a nightmare in itself) to try out my thoughts but I wanted to sanity check it first. The server is running CentOS The proxy server is SOCKS in /usr/sbin/ss5 and running as the root user.

My suspicion is about the PAM file, /etc/pam.d/ss5 and the way it has been set up. We have this:-
Code:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       include      system-auth
account    required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_wheel.so use_uid group=SocksUsers
account    include      system-auth
password   include      system-auth
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include      system-auth
session    required     pam_loginuid.so

My theory is that the line defining the allowed group also includes the use_uid option and given that the ss5 daemon is running as the super-user everyone is automatically authenticated. There is a proxy authentication required, but messages is /var/log/secure give me this when I authenticate to the proxy correctly and give invalid credentials to an internet-based FTP site:-
Code:
Nov 28 15:03:14 gateway-b ss5: pam_unix(ss5:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=donald.trump
Nov 28 15:03:14 gateway-b ss5: pam_winbind(ss5:auth): getting password (0x00000008)
Nov 28 15:03:14 gateway-b ss5: pam_winbind(ss5:auth): pam_get_item returned a password
Nov 28 15:03:14 gateway-b ss5: pam_winbind(ss5:auth): user 'donald.trump' granted access

Yes, some Windoze joker created me a test account with that name. Sorry about that. No political persuasion inferred, naturally - I'm British after all.

Before I try to get a slot, does anyone want to contradict my theory? I'd be grateful for avoiding unnecessary effort if I've gone off on the wrong track.

Many thanks, in advance,
Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pam configuration

I have suse (SLES 9) machine,I would like to know how to creat a PAM configure file for ldap authentication and loading it using a "config" argument to pam_ldap.so Thanks for your help (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan1
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reread pam configuration

Hi. i am on solaris. I have changed pam configuration. Do i need to let pam re-read its configuration again? If so, how can i do it? ps -ef | grep -i pam, returns no hits. Rgds (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

proxy DNS configuration

i have the DNS and the web proxy services running on one of my sun machines....the funny thing is clients use the proxy server by addressing it with its IP address only....what i need is to assign it like...proxy.amu.edu.et...... my guess is the problem is the configuration with the DNS ...but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: henokia4j
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

PAM configuration: Kerberos authentication and NIS authorization problem

Hi, I've configured two linux boxes to authenticate against Windows Active Directory using Kerberos while retrieving authorization data (uids, gids ,,,)from NIS. The problem I ran into with my PAM configuration is that all authentication attempts succeed in order.i.e. if someone tried his... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geek.ksa
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

SQUID Proxy server configuration

Can any one direct me to the resources where I can find in-depth instructions on Squid Proxy server and its configuration? Thanks in advance.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Squid Dynamic Proxy Server Configuration

Hello all, I am trying to configure squid proxy server for different organizations. These organizations will have different blocked ports, different acls, etc. But, I can use only one proxy server for this purpose. Thinking of making a shell script with iptables and squid. For an example: a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX pam ssh/sshd configuration not allowing sed or awk

This is a weird problem. Following is my code. /opt/quest/bin/vastool configure pam sshd /opt/quest/bin/vastool configure pam ssh cat /etc/pam.conf | \ awk '$1=="ssh"||$1=="sshd"||$1=="emagent"{sub("prohibit","aix",$NF);}1' OFS='\t' > /etc/pam.conf cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | \ sed -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't connect through ssh socks proxy to certain sites

Hello, i setup an open socks proxy on my remote vps: ssh -f -N -D 0.0.0.0:1080 localhost and then allowed only connections from IP of my home computer iptables -A INPUT --src myhomeip -p tcp --dport 1080 -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 1080 -j REJECT but it appears that im... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proxy socks tester issue

I have a list of ip socks / port(eg: 192.168.0.1 80). I would like to write a bash to test automatically these addresses in a loop with firefox. The problem is that firefox process stays alive even when firefox does not work because of wrong network settings. So I want to kill the process when the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpagon
3 Replies
pam_ldap(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       pam_ldap(8)

NAME
pam_ldap - PAM module for LDAP-based authentication SYNOPSIS
pam_ldap.so [...] DESCRIPTION
This is a PAM module that uses an LDAP server to verify user access rights and credentials. OPTIONS
use_first_pass Specifies that the PAM module should use the first password provided in the authentication stack and not prompt the user for a pass- word. try_first_pass Specifies that the PAM module should use the first password provided in the authentication stack and if that fails prompt the user for a password. nullok Specifying this option allows users to log in with a blank password. Normally logins without a password are denied. ignore_unknown_user Specifies that the PAM module should return PAM_IGNORE for users that are not present in the LDAP directory. This causes the PAM framework to ignore this module. ignore_authinfo_unavail Specifies that the PAM module should return PAM_IGNORE if it cannot contact the LDAP server. This causes the PAM framework to ig- nore this module. no_warn Specifies that warning messages should not be propagated to the PAM application. use_authtok This causes the PAM module to use the earlier provided password when changing the password. The module will not prompt the user for a new password (it is analogous to use_first_pass). debug This option causes the PAM module to log debugging information to syslog(3). minimum_uid=UID This option causes the PAM module to ignore the user if the user id is lower than the specified value. This can be used to bypass LDAP checks for system users (e.g. by setting it to 1000). MODULE SERVICES PROVIDED
All services are provided by this module but currently sessions changes are not implemented in the nslcd daemon. FILES
/etc/pam.conf the main PAM configuration file /etc/nslcd.conf The configuration file for the nslcd daemon (see nslcd.conf(5)) SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), nslcd(8), nslcd.conf(5) AUTHOR
This manual was written by Arthur de Jong <arthur@arthurdejong.org>. Version 0.8.10 Jun 2012 pam_ldap(8)