Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find columns in a file based on header and print to new file Post 302986459 by RudiC on Friday 25th of November 2016 02:26:53 PM
Old 11-25-2016
This works if the name column is added to the headers file:
Code:
awk '
NR == FNR       {T[$1] = NR
                 next
                }
FNR == 1        {MX = NR - 1
                 for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) if ($i in T) C[T[$i]] = i
                }
                {for (j=1; j<=MX; j++) printf "%s%s", $C[j], (j == MX)?RS:"\t"
                }
' file2 file1
name	col_1	col_6	col_3	col_4	col_8	
name,1	2	0	1	0	9.6154	
name,2	7	0	0	0	8.6310	
name,3	4	0	1	0.6	4.6420	
name,4	6	0	1	0	7.7778	
name,5	2	0	3	0.833333	4.2924

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing file content based on file header

Hi, I have several text files each containing some data as shown below: File1.txt >DataHeader Data... Data... File2.txt >DataHeader Data... Data... etc. What I want is to change the 'DataHeader' based on the file name. So the output should look like: File1.txt >File1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find a column from one file and print certain columns in second file

Hi, I need helping in finding some of the text in one file and some columns which have same column in file 1 EG cat file_1 aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee fffff gggg hhhh cat file_2 aaaa,abcd,effgh,ereref,name,age,sex,........... bbbb,efdfh,erere,afdafds,name,age,sex.............. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk based script to find the median of all individual columns in a data file

Hi All, I have some data like below. Step1,Param1,Param2,Param3 1,2,3,4 2,3,4,5 2,4,5,6 3,0,1,2 3,0,0,0 3,2,1,3 ........ so on Where I need to find the median(arithmetic) of each column from Param1...to..Param3 for each set of Step1 values. (Sort each specific column, if the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the file content based on the Header of the file

Hi All, I want to remove the content based on the header information . Please find the example below. File1.txt Name|Last|First|Location|DepId|Depname|DepLoc naga|rr|tion|hyd|1|wer|opr Nava|ra|tin|gen|2|wera|opra I have to search for the DepId and remove the data from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk based script to find the average of all the columns in a data file

Hi All, I need the modification for the below mentioned code (found in one more post https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/27161-script-generate-average-values.html) to find the average values for all the columns(but for a specific rows) and print the averages side by side. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and find match and print the header of the second file

Hi, I have two input files; file1 and file2. I compare them based on matched values in 1 column and print selected columns of the second file (file2). I got the result but the header was not printed. i want the header of file2 to be printed together with the result. Then i did below codes:- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make copy of text file with columns removed (based on header)

Hello, I have some tab delimited text files with a three header rows. The headers look like, (sorry the tabs look so messy). index group Name input input input input input input input input input input input... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Average columns based on header name

Hi Friends, I have files with columns like this. This sample input below is partial. Please check below for main file link. Each file will have only two rows. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print multiple required columns dynamically in a file using the header name?

Hi All, i am trying to print required multiple columns dynamically from a fie. But i am able to print only one column at a time. i am new to shell script, please help me on this issue. i am using below script awk -v COLT=$1 ' NR==1 { for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
2 Replies
LSNS(8) 						       System Administration							   LSNS(8)

NAME
lsns - list namespaces SYNOPSIS
lsns [options] [namespace] DESCRIPTION
lsns lists information about all the currently accessible namespaces or about the given namespace. The namespace identifier is an inode number. The default output is subject to change. So whenever possible, you should avoid using default outputs in your scripts. Always explicitly define expected columns by using the --output option together with a columns list in environments where a stable output is required. Note that lsns reads information directly from the /proc filesystem and for non-root users it may return incomplete information. The cur- rent /proc filesystem may be unshared and affected by a PID namespace (see unshare --mount-proc for more details). lsns is not able to see persistent namespaces without processes where the namespace instance is held by a bind mount to /proc/pid/ns/type. OPTIONS
-J, --json Use JSON output format. -l, --list Use list output format. -n, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -o, --output list Specify which output columns to print. Use --help to get a list of all supported columns. The default list of columns may be extended if list is specified in the format +list (e.g. lsns -o +PATH). -p, --task pid Display only the namespaces held by the process with this pid. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -t, --type type Display the specified type of namespaces only. The supported types are mnt, net, ipc, user, pid, uts and cgroup. This option may be given more than once. -u, --notruncate Do not truncate text in columns. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. AUTHORS
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
nsenter(1), unshare(1), clone(2), namespaces(7) AVAILABILITY
The lsns command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux December 2015 LSNS(8)