Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux shell script to insert new lines based on delimiter count Post 302986016 by digitalnirvana on Friday 18th of November 2016 09:09:11 AM
Old 11-18-2016
Apologies, my bad. I should've uploaded the file. Attached is a masked .dat file renamed as .txt for uploading.

On opening it with notepad++ in Windows, the null characters show up as boxes. In a Linux vi the nulls are ^@.

All the records in this file are in one row. This particular file has 2 records followed by the trailer record.
  • First record = starts at the beginning of the file 00000230 (this field gives the length of the record in bytes)
  • Second record = starts at the next 00000230 (it is a coincidence, here both records have same length)
  • Trailer record = starts at 0000096 (the trailer length is of 96 bytes and it also has 80 delimiters of ^@ or null characters. Ignore my earlier post saying trailer has 20 delimiters. It has 80 actually)

As the field lengths are variable so we cannot define a record in terms of total length of its fields or total bytes. This is why we are defining a record as effectively having length of 80 ^@ delimiters.

I require the 1st record in one row, 2nd record in next row and so on till the end of the file, with the trailer in the last row. If there is a way of adding a newline after every 80th ^@ from the beginning till the eof, then perhaps it will work?

The only unprintable character is null ^@, no TABS or other spaces, all other characters are alphanumeric.

Please let me know if any questions. Thanks for the help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl/shell script count the lines

Hi Guys, I want to write a perl/shell script do parse the following file input file content NPA-NXX SC 2084549 45 2084552 45 2084563 2007 2084572 45 2084580 45 3278411 45 3278430 45 3278493 530 3278507 530... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pistachio
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert leading zeroes based on the character count

Hi, I need add leading zeroes to a field in a file based on the character count. The field can be of 1 character to 6 character length. I need to make the field 14bytes. eg: 8351,20,1 8351,234,6 8351,2,0 8351,1234,2 8351,123456,1 8351,12345,2 This should become. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to put delimiter for a no delimiter variable length text file

Hi, I have a No Delimiter variable length text file with following schema - Column Name Data length Firstname 5 Lastname 5 age 3 phoneno1 10 phoneno2 10 phoneno3 10 sample data - ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurav Martha
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to count and insert

Hi not sure if this is possible but I need some help with a bash script, I have a text file and on the first line that starts with 7150230 I need it to put a 1 at position 79 and a 2 at position 88, this is where it gets complicated, on the next line it finds that starts with 7150230 I then need it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Columns before the last Column based on the Count of Delimiters

Hi, I have a requirement where in I need to insert delimiters before the last column of the total delimiters is less than a specified number. Say if the delimiters is less than 139, I need to insert 2 columns ( with blanks) before the last field awk -F 'Ç' '{ if (NF-1 < 139)} END { "Insert 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkesi
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Count Based on FileDate using Shell Script

I have file listed in my directory in following format -rwxrwxr-x+ 1 test test 4.9M Oct 3 16:06 test20141002150108.txt -rwxrwxr-x+ 1 test test 4.9M Oct 4 16:06 test20141003150108.txt -rwxrwxr-x+ 1 test test 4.9M Oct 5 16:06 test20141005150108.txt -rwxrwxr-x+ 1 test ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish2014
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate lines on first column based with pipe delimiter

Hi, I have tried to remove dublicate lines based on first column with pipe delimiter . but i ma not able to get some uniqu lines Command : sort -t'|' -nuk1 file.txt Input : 38376KZ|09/25/15|1.057 38376KZ|09/25/15|1.057 02006YB|09/25/15|0.859 12593PS|09/25/15|2.803... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parithi06
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk joining multiple lines based on field count

Hi Folks, I have a file with fields as follows which has last field in multiple lines. I would like to combine a line which has three fields with single field line for as shown in expected output. Please help. INPUT hname01 windows appnamec1eda_p1, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script count lines and sum numbers from multiple files

I want to count the number of lines, I need this result be a number, and sum the last numeric column, I had done to make this one at time, but I need to make this for a crontab, so, it has to be an script, here is my lines: It counts the number of lines: egrep -i String file_name_201611* |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elly
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split files based on row delimiter count

I have a huge file (around 4-5 GB containing 20 million rows) which has text like: <EOFD>11<EOFD>22<EORD>2<EOFD>2222<EOFD>3333<EORD>3<EOFD>44<EOFD>55<EORD>66<EOFD>888<EOFD>9999<EORD> Actually above is an extracted file from a Sql Server with each field delimited by <EOFD> and each row ends... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
8 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e., the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has either the form file_number.field, where file_number is a file number and field is a field number, or the form '0' (zero), repre- senting the join field. The elements of list must be either comma (',') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quoting to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is '-', the standard input is used. EXIT STATUS
The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file1 and file2. -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file1 and file2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form file_number.field_number as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named 1.2. These options are available only so historic shell scripts do not require modification and should not be used. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The join command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
July 5, 2004 BSD