Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Output to file print as single line, not separate line Post 302985882 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 16th of November 2016 04:08:05 PM
Old 11-16-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogiz
example of problem:

when I echo "$e" >> /home/cogiz/file.txt

result prints to file as:
Code:
AA
BB
CC

I need it to save to file as this:
Code:
AA BB CC

I know it's probably something really simple but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
Cogiz
Hi cogiz,
To get the results shown above (i.e., changing <newline>s between words in the input to <space>s between words in the output, but keeping a trailing <newline> at the end of the output), e had to be set with something logically equivalent to:
e="AA
BB
CC"
Note that this variable contains two embedded <newline>s. Therefore, the suggestions provided by rdrtx1 and balajesuri will NOT work. The quoted argument ("$e") keeps those embedded <newline> visible in the output from those suggestions. Note also that these non-working suggestions are a direct result of your failure to use CODE tags to make clear what input you had and what output you wanted.

The suggestion RavinderSingh13 provided should do exactly what you requested. The unquote argument ($e) passed to echo causes the shell to split the expansion of that variable into three operands, each of which will be printed as a string with a <space> separating the fields in the output and a single <newline> will be printed at the end.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate lines in a single '|' separated line

Hi I have a file with contents like china india france japan italy germany . . . . etc.... I want the output as china|india|france|japan|italy|germany|.|.|. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hidnana
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

single line input to multiple line output with sed

hey gents, I'm working on something that will use snmpwalk to query the devices on my network and retreive the device name, device IP, device model and device serial. I'm using Nmap for the enumeration and sed to clean up the results for use by snmpwalk. Once i get all the data organized I'm... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitch
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the output in single line

Hi, Please suggest, how to get the output of below script in single line, its giving me in different lines ______________________ #!/bin/ksh export Path="/abc/def/ghi"; Home="/home/psingh/prat"; cd $Path; find $Path -name "*.C#*" -newer "abc.C#1234" -print > $Home cat $Home | while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prat007
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract nth line of all files and print in output file on separate lines.

Hello UNIX experts, I have 124 text files in a directory. I want to extract the 45678th line of all the files sequentialy by file names. The extracted lines should be printed in the output file on seperate lines. e.g. The input Files are one.txt, two.txt, three.txt, four.txt The cat of four... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogeshkumkar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed script to print each line to a separate named file

I have a large 3479 line .csv file, the content of which looks likes this: 1;0;177;170;Guadeloupe;x 2;127;171;179;Antigua and Barbuda;x 3;170;144;2;Umpqua;x 4;170;126;162;Coos Bay;x ... 1205;46;2;244;Unmak Island;x 1206;47;2;248;Yunaska Island;x 1207;0;2;240;north sea;x... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalelovil
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multi-line output to a single line in a group

Hi, My Oracle query is returing below o/p ---------------------------------------------------------- Ins trnas value a lkp1 x a lkp1 y b lkp1 a b lkp2 x b lkp2 y ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvk25
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert single line output to multiple line

Hi all, I have a single line output like below echo $ips 10.26.208.28 10.26.208.26 10.26.208.27 want to convert above single line output as below format. Pls advice how to do ? 10.26.208.28 10.26.208.26 10.26.208.27 Regards Kannan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple pattern match and print the output in a single line

I need to match two patterns in a log file and need to get the next line of the one of the pattern (out of two patterns) that is matched, finally need to print these three values in a single line. Sample Log: 2013/06/11 14:29:04 <0999> (725102) Processing batch 02_1231324 2013/06/11... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpm120
4 Replies

9. Programming

Read text from file and print each character in separate line

performing this code to read from file and print each character in separate line works well with ASCII encoded text void preprocess_file (FILE *fp) { int cc; for (;;) { cc = getc (fp); if (cc == EOF) break; printf ("%c\n", cc); } } int main(int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khaled79
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print line is values between two fields in separate file

I am trying to use awk to find all the $3 values in file2 that are between $2 and $3 in file1. If a value in $3 of file2 is between the file1 fields then it is printed along with the $6 value in file1. Both file1 and file2 are tab-delimited as well as the desired output. If there is nothing to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
nljust(1)						      General Commands Manual							 nljust(1)

NAME
nljust - justify lines, left or right, for printing SYNOPSIS
digits] seq] just] mode] order] margin] width] ck] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
formats for printing data written in languages with a right-to-left orientation. It is designed to be used with the and the commands (see pr(1) and lp(1)). reads the concatenation of input files (or standard input if none are given) and produces on standard output a right-to-left formatted ver- sion of its input. If appears as an input file name, reads standard input at that point. Use to delimit the end of options. formats input files for all languages that are read from right to left. For languages that have a left-to-right orientation, the command merely copies input files to standard output. Options recognizes the following options: Justify data for all languages, including those having a left-to-right text orientation. By default only right-to-left language data is justified. For all other languages, input files are directly copied to standard output. Select enhanced printer shapes for some Arabic characters. With this option, two-character combinations of laam and alif are replaced by a single character. Triggers ISO 8859-6 interpretation of the data. Processes digits for output as hindi, western, or both. digits can be or both. Use seq as the escape sequence to select the primary character set. This escape sequence is used by languages that have too many characters to be accommodated by ASCII in a single 256-character set. In these cases, the seq escape sequence can be used to select the non-ASCII character set. The escape character itself(0x1b) is not given on the command line. Hewlett-Packard escape sequences are used by default. If just is left justify print lines. If just is right-justify print lines starting from the (designated or default) print width column. The default is right justification. Replace leading spaces with alternative spaces. Some right-to-left character sets have a non-ASCII or alternative space. This option can be useful when filtering out- put (see pr(1)). With right justification, the option causes line numbers to be placed immediately to the right of the tab character. Without the option, right justification causes line numbers to be placed at the print-width column. By default, leading spaces are not replaced by alternative spaces. Indicate mode of any file to be formatted. Mode refers to the text orientation of the file when it was created. If mode is assume Latin mode. If mode is assume non-Latin mode. By default, mode information is obtained from the environment variable. Do not terminate lines containing printable characters with a new-line. By default, print lines are terminated by new-lines. Indicate data order of any file to be formatted. The text orientation of a file can affect the way its data is arranged. If order is assume keyboard order. If order is assume screen order. By default, order information is obtained from the environment variable. Truncate print lines that do not fit the designated or default line length. Print lines are folded (that is, wrapped to next line) by default. Expand input tabs to column positions k+1, 2*k+1, 3*k+1, etc. Tab characters in the input are expanded to the appropriate number of spaces. If k is 0 or is omitted, default tab settings at every eighth position is assumed. If cd (any non-digit character) is given, it is treated as the input tab character. The default for c is the tab character. always expands input tabs. This option provides a way to change the tab character and setting. If this option is specified, at least one of the parameters c or k must be given. Designate a number as the print margin. The print margin is the column where truncation or folding takes place. The print margin determines how many characters appear on a single line and can never exceed the print width. The print margin is relative to the justifica- tion. If the print margin is 80, folding or truncation occurs at column 80 starting from the right during a right jus- tification. Similarly, folding or truncation occurs at column 80 starting from the left during a left justification. By default, the print margin is set to column 80. Designates a number as the print width. The print width is the maximum number of columns in the print line. Print width determines the start of text during a right justification. The larger the print width, the further to the right the text will start. By default, an 80-column print width is used. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The environment variable determines the mode and order of the file. The syntax of is [mode][_order]. mode describes the mode of a file where represents Latin mode and represents non-Latin mode. Non-Latin mode is assumed for values other than and order describes the data order of a file where is keyboard and is screen. Keyboard order is assumed for values other than and Mode and order information in can be overridden from the command line. The environment variable determines the direction of a language (left-to-right or right-to-left) and whether context analysis of characters is necessary. The environment variable determines whether a language has alternative numbers. The environment variable determines the language in which messages are displayed. International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Right justify on a 132-column printer with a print margin at column 80 (the default): Right justify output of with line numbers on a 132-column printer with a print margin at column 132: WARNINGS
If with line numbers option) is piped to the separator character must be a tab(0x09). It is the user's responsibility to ensure that the environment variable accurately reflects the status of the file. Mode and justification must be consistent. Only non-Latin-mode files can be right justified in a meaningful way. Similarly, only Latin- mode files can be safely left justified. If mode and justification do not match, the results are undefined. If present, alternative numbers always have a left-to-right orientation. The command is HP proprietary, not portable to other vendors' systems, and will not be provided in future HP-UX releases. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
forder(1), lp(1), pr(1), strord(3C). nljust(1)