Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux Changing Run Levels
Operating Systems Linux Debian Linux Changing Run Levels Post 302985731 by hwpplayer1 on Monday 14th of November 2016 03:26:36 PM
Old 11-14-2016
Debian

Code:
hwpplayer1@build3:~$ who -r
         açılış-seviyesi 5 2016-11-14 22:55
hwpplayer1@build3:~$ sudo su
[sudo] password for hwpplayer1: 
root@build3:/home/hwpplayer1# run
runcon           runlevel         run-parts        runuser          
run_erl          run-mailcap      runq             run-with-aspell  
root@build3:/home/hwpplayer1# runlevel
N 5
root@build3:/home/hwpplayer1#

I don't have inittab file and it is the standard configuration on Debian. So what do you think ? It seems normal when i became root.

Code:
root@build3:/etc# emacs -nw inittab

i created inittab file and wrote id:5:initdefault: in it. Then i rebooted my computer. But at first couldn't run X Server , sometimes it happens on my distro. Then i rebooted system again. I saw the login screen. And this is the result

Code:
hwpplayer1@build3:/etc$ ls inittab
inittab
hwpplayer1@build3:/etc$ cat inittab
id:5:initdefault:

Code:
hwpplayer1@build3:/etc$ who -r
         açılış-seviyesi 5 2016-11-14 23:18
hwpplayer1@build3:/etc$ runlevel
bash: runlevel: komut yok
hwpplayer1@build3:/etc$ sudo su
root@build3:/etc# runlevel
N 5

I think there are some bugs in my system but why this feature needs to be root to be executabled or runned. Maybe it is in / root directory that's why.

Thanks for your help. Have a good day.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags correctly as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 11-14-2016 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Changed ICODE tags.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Too many levels of symbolic links

Hi, Is there a limit to the number of symbolic links you can have? I tried to vi the symbolic link relating to a file and got the following error: "filename" Too many levels of symbolic links There is only one symbolic link to one file in this case, but there are >2000 other links to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

2. Solaris

RAID Levels

hi, what are the RAID Levels followed for various File systems ? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol8admin
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Init levels

I have a problem, i dont know if its a normal behaviour or not, i can go to a lower init level, but i cant go to a higher one again, for instance i can run the command init 2 while im at init 3 and when i do who -r i find myself go down to 2 but if i type init 3 and wait im still finding myself in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Run Levels confusion

Hi, Could somebody throw some light on the below queries: - For a run-level X, the S* scripts are executed when coming here from X-n run-level. The K* scripts are executed when coming to X runlevel from X+n runlevel. - Does reaching to runlevel X from X-3 executes K* scritps from X-2 & X-1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search through 2 levels of zip

Hi guys, I know I'm missing something simple here. We have about 500 zipped files in a directory which contain more zip files and within those I need to find a file without unzipping everything. I know I can use zipinfo which I'm trying to create a for loop to go through the files and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petef
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Levels of support

Hello, I have a simple question because I can not find the information at oracle.com I want to buy support for OS Solaris and Servers hardware. I need information what are the levels of support and how much they cost? I need a help. Have a nice day (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
3 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Unable to run 'su' and 'sudo' after changing permissions on /etc

Hello, I'm running rhel6 64bit. Accidentally I ran % chmod -R 777 /etc and after that I have a problem to do 'su' or 'sudo'. When I did sudo it complained that /etc/sudoers has 777 while it should be 0440. I changed that and also restored right permission for: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1966 May 19... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: susja
2 Replies

8. AIX

AIX How to run a Shell Script by changing the User

Hi All, Currently our application is running on the server having AIX 5.3 OS. What we intend to do is to run a shell script owned by another user and needs to be run as that particular user. I was trying to create a shell script using the su command before running the actual script (which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acoomer
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Run levels in Solaris 11

Hi Guys, I need to change the following script ( which is good for Linux) for Solris 11 #start oracle start on runlevel stop on runlevel What it should be for Solrais 11. Thanks for your help. Regards Terry (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrykhatri531
2 Replies