Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Mail command not working for Long Email Address with Dashes Post 302985633 by Phil44 on Sunday 13th of November 2016 09:21:02 AM
Old 11-13-2016
Linux Mail command not working for Long Email Address with Dashes

My company has an email user group email address name that has 35 characters in front of the @ symbol where two of them are dashes. For some reason the mail command fails to send email to this address when I invoke it from the Linux command line. I don't understand the reason for the failure. Below is an example of what does not work and what works.

This does not work
Code:
echo "Test Email from Linux Server" | mail -s "Linux Test Email"   AA-BBBB-YadayaAdministrativeSystems@company.com

This works.
Code:

echo "Test Email from Linux Server" | mail -s "Linux Test Email"  joe.sixpack@company.com

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags (not ICODE tags) for full line and multi-line sample input, sample output, and code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 11-13-2016 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Change ICODE tags to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command not working

hi all I am not able to send mail from unix box to my mail id. do i need to do any settings for that? when i issue this command:- mail -s "letter" <abc.txt the $ pompt goes away and the unix is on wait state. what should I do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know if the mailx command really sends the mail to the email address?

Hi guys, I have a question about the returning message of the mailx command. if I run a mailx command, how can I know if the email has been sent to the email address? If the email address doesn't exist, is there any error message returned? If yes, how can I get the error message? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheenshine
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to verify email address using mailx command ?

Is there any way i can verify the email address (before sending the mail) using the mailx command ? I know that sendmail -bv email@address.com can do it but there is a compatibility issues with the version of Unix we have. So mailx is the only command we can used at this point. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rak007
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail command not working

Hi I am trying to runmail command to send some text to my email id. But its getting hanged up. Not sure what is the problem. Please help. mail -s "testing" abc@somearess.com Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Command line mail taking too long to send; unable to qualify my own domain name

Hello, I'm having a problem with my mail. When I send mail, it takes a long time for the send to complete. In the below, datestamp is just a simple script to put in a no-white-space date/time stamp. $ datestamp ; mail woodnt; datestamp 02-05-10@193844 Subject: test timer Cc: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Script to query Active Directory: give cn (NT login name) and receive mail (Email address)

Hi folks I need to write UNIX script (with ldapsearch) to query Active Directory. Input is NT login name and output is Email address. Attached a screenshot of Sysinternals "AD Explorer". I need to do the same in CLI. http://i.imgur.com/4s6FB.png I am absolute LDAP/ldapsearch noob. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to change sender email address in mail -s command

Just having trouble trying to figure out what the option is. When I do mail -s "Subject" someuser@example.com I can't seem to specify "from" or "sender" option as I need it for my task. I tried using --f or -f though it didn't work. Can someone please tell me what other option... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Send an email using mail command

Hello all I'm trying to write a script to send an email, so I can be nnotified when something is going wrong with my system. I've tried many options with no luck: mail -s "You've got mail" somebody@example.com echo "Mail Body" | mail -s "Subject" somebody@example.com I tried also to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
1 Replies

9. BSD

mail command is not working

Hi, Mail command is not working. mail -s "hello" abc@google.com < samplefile I am new to BSD.what do i need to do? Please help. Thnaks, Gita. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gita
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the sender's name or E-mail address in mutt command

Can any one help me in this ??? How to change sender's name or email address in Mutt command??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathi
4 Replies
GIT-CHECK-MAILMAP(1)						    Git Manual						      GIT-CHECK-MAILMAP(1)

NAME
git-check-mailmap - Show canonical names and email addresses of contacts SYNOPSIS
git check-mailmap [options] <contact>... DESCRIPTION
For each "Name <user@host>" or "<user@host>" from the command-line or standard input (when using --stdin), look up the person's canonical name and email address (see "Mapping Authors" below). If found, print them; otherwise print the input as-is. OPTIONS
--stdin Read contacts, one per line, from the standard input after exhausting contacts provided on the command-line. OUTPUT
For each contact, a single line is output, terminated by a newline. If the name is provided or known to the mailmap, "Name <user@host>" is printed; otherwise only "<user@host>" is printed. MAPPING AUTHORS
If the file .mailmap exists at the toplevel of the repository, or at the location pointed to by the mailmap.file or mailmap.blob configuration options, it is used to map author and committer names and email addresses to canonical real names and email addresses. In the simple form, each line in the file consists of the canonical real name of an author, whitespace, and an email address used in the commit (enclosed by < and >) to map to the name. For example: Proper Name <commit@email.xx> The more complex forms are: <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace only the email part of a commit, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching the specified commit email address, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> Commit Name <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching both the specified commit name and email address. Example 1: Your history contains commits by two authors, Jane and Joe, whose names appear in the repository under several forms: Joe Developer <joe@example.com> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@laptop.(none)> Jane D. <jane@desktop.(none)> Now suppose that Joe wants his middle name initial used, and Jane prefers her family name fully spelled out. A proper .mailmap file would look like: Jane Doe <jane@desktop.(none)> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Note how there is no need for an entry for <jane@laptop.(none)>, because the real name of that author is already correct. Example 2: Your repository contains commits from the following authors: nick1 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <nick2@company.xx> santa <me@company.xx> claus <me@company.xx> CTO <cto@coompany.xx> Then you might want a .mailmap file that looks like: <cto@company.xx> <cto@coompany.xx> Some Dude <some@dude.xx> nick1 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> <nick2@company.xx> Santa Claus <santa.claus@northpole.xx> <me@company.xx> Use hash # for comments that are either on their own line, or after the email address. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-CHECK-MAILMAP(1)