Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Proper distribution of cards in terminal based crazy8's game in bash script Post 302985627 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 13th of November 2016 02:23:18 AM
Old 11-13-2016
The problem is in the two following lines:
Code:
computerdeal 8 | sed -r 's/[0123456789JQKAHSDC]+/ * /g'

and
Code:
echo "          The Card in Play is: "$(deal) | tee /home/cogiz/cardinplay.txt

In both cases the deal and computerdeal function are executed in a subshell, in the first case as the left hand side of a pipe, in the second case as part of a command substitution. The global variables that are set inside those functions are local to that subshell. When the subshell finishes, those variables and their values will be lost...

By contrast the first time the deal function is called:
Code:
deal 8

it is done in the current shell itself and the value of global variable cards_remaining that gets set inside that function is the value that gets printed at the end..

So instead you could run those functions in the current shell and then use the global variables that are being set inside them...

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-13-2016 at 03:45 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text based football game?

Is there a textbased football game (American) that I can download through ubuntu server edition? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dadoprso
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading output from terminal back into bash script

How can I get a bash script to wait and read and count $i messages that a running program (drbl clonezilla) sends to the console (terminal) and only then move on to the next line in the script when the count is matched (the next line is the last line of the script and is a reboot)? The script... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dp123
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script for "simple" racing game.

Hello All, I was wondering if it would be possible to create a "racing" game in script. The game play would be as follows. Script will read the following input: Start |b| | | | | |r| | | | | First player (b) will roll a die to see how many spaces to move. This is will continue until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run bash script without terminal

How can I make a bash script that keeps on running after I have closed the terminal? Or a script that runs without having the terminal window open? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there picture based game under linux terminal?

Is there picture based game under linux terminal? Just like Supermario under DOS. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a Text based game. Need help.

Okay so Zork sparked my interest in this. I have been learning to program for the last year and a half. I've dabbled in everything from Java to Ruby to PHP & XHTML & SQL, and now I'm on bash. I really like bash scripting. Its easy and fun. I just started two days ago. Pretty much I've been writing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lemonoid
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash Script for Dice Game; Issue with if...else loop to verify user guess is within range

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have written a script for a dice game that: (1) tells user that each of the 2 die are 6 sided (Spots=6); (2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LaurenRose
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash tcsh Script runs in terminal but not folder

So, I made a script beginning with #!/bin/bash on gedit. And I double clicked it to run in terminal and I end up with "The child process exited normally with status 127" and "command not found". If I run the same script from the terminal as "tcsh (script name)" it runs just fine. If I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OntorEska
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tetris Game -- based on a shell script (new algorithm)

GitHub - deepgrace/tetris: Tetris implementation in all kinds of Programming Languages Usage: bash Tetris_Game ] ] ] ] Range: #!/bin/bash # Tetris Game // The Art Of Shell Programming box0=(4 30) box1=(4 30 4 32) box2=(4 30 5 32) box3=(4 28 4 30 4 32) box4=(4 28 4 30... (69 Replies)
Discussion started by: complex.invoke
69 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a text based game using shell script.

Hello guys I'm new to shell scripting and I need to make a game using shell script. I want to know if it is possible for me a total noob to shell scripting to make this game. The game concept is simple: First thing when you launch the script you get a menu in which you select if you want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Othmane
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)