Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to replace 32 length string to ***** Post 302985178 by Mannu2525 on Monday 7th of November 2016 05:24:05 AM
Old 11-07-2016
\n count as a single character. there are no more special cases and yes strings all surrounded by single-quotes.

I've used the below code but not approaching to the result - bit of success

Code:
sed "s/\(il.sum =\)\(.\{34\}\)/\ il.sum = '********************************/"

Last edited by Mannu2525; 11-07-2016 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Adding Code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace with fixed length

$ cat template s.noName $ sed "s/s.no/1/" template > out $ sed "s/s.no/100/" template >>out $ cat out 1Name 100Name 1 Name 100Name (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: McLan
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a string with leading spaces and find the length of the string

HI In my script, i am reading the input from the user and want to find the length of the string. The input may contain leading spaces. Right now, when leading spaces are there, they are not counted. Kindly help me My script is like below. I am using the ksh. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayamatrix
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable length numeric string

I have a customer who logged some cc and bank account numbers in their apache logs. I got the cc numbers x'd out with sed -e 's/args=\{16\}/args=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/g' -e 's/cardnum=\{16\}/cardnum=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/g'but that wasn't too difficult due to the value being 16 digits. The bank account... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk4mzid
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace strings based on position and length?

Suppose i have a file which contains thousands of records. e.g adjgmptjadmwpgjmwmd i need to replace the string from 3rd to 8th position using awk script in entire file. And also the positions will be passed as parameter. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Date in a fixed length file

Hello All, I working on ksh. I am using fixed length file. My file is like: ======== IXTTIV110827 NANTH AM IKSHIT ABCDEF 0617 IJAY NAND EENIG ZXYWVU 0912 AP OOK OONG PQRSTU100923 NASA DISH TTY ASDFG 0223 GHU UMA LAM QWERT 0111 ATHE SH THEW ======= From 7th to 12 is a date... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnanthaDikshit
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Views How to replace a CRLF char from a variable length file in the middle of a string in UNIX?

My sample file is variable length, with out any field delimiters. It has min of 18 chars length and the 'CRLF' is potentially between 12-14 chars. How do I replace this with a space? I still want to keep end of record, but just want to remove these new lines chars in the middle of the data. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrath
7 Replies
fb.modes(5)						     Linux frame buffer utils						       fb.modes(5)

NAME
fb.modes - frame buffer modes file DESCRIPTION
/etc/fb.modes contains an unlimited number of video mode descriptions. The general format of a video mode is: mode geometry <xres> <yres> <vxres> <vyres> <depth> timings <pixclock> <left> <right> <upper> <lower> <hslen> <vslen> options <value> rgba <red,green,blue,alpha> endmode OPTIONS
geometry options: xres visible horizontal resolution (in pixels) yres visible vertical resolution (in pixels) vxres virtual horizontal resolution (in pixels) vyres virtual vertical resolution (in pixels) depth display depth (in bits per pixel) timing options: pixclock length of one pixel (in picoseconds) left left margin (in pixels) right right margin (in pixels) upper upper margin (in pixel lines) lower lower margin (in pixel lines) hslen horizontal sync length (in pixels) vslen vertical sync length (in pixel lines) rgba options (only valid with truecolor): red red color bitfields (in length or length/offset) green green color bitfields (in length or length/offset) blue blue color bitfields (in length or length/offset) alpha alpha color bitfields (in length or length/offset) other options: the first value of this options is the default hsync {low|high} the horizontal sync polarity vsync {low|high} the vertical sync polarity csync {low|high} the composite sync polarity gsync {low|high} the sync on green polarity bcast {false|true} enable or disable broadcast modes. If enabled the frame buffer generates the exact timings fot several broadcast modes (e.g. PAL or NTSC). Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer extsync {false|true} enable or disable external resync. If enabled the sync timings are not generated by the frame buffer device and must be pro- vided externally instead. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device laced {false|true} enable or disable interlace. If enabled the display will be split in two frames, each frame contains only even and odd lines respectively. These two frames will be displayed alternating, this way twice the lines can be displayed and the vertical fre- quency for monitor stays the same, but the visible vertical frequency gets halved double {false|true} enable or disable doublescan. If enabled every line will be displayed twice and this way the horizontal frequency can easily be doubled, so that the same resolution can be displayed on different monitors, even if the horizontal frequency specifica- tion differs. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device nostd <number> select nonstandard video mode accel {false|true} enable or disable hardware text acceleration grayscale {false|true} enable or disable graylevels instead of colors INTERNALS
Generally a frame buffer display is organized as follows: +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 5 | | | | | v | | | +---#################---+---+ | # ^ # | | | # | # | | | # | # | | | 1 # | 2 # 3 | 4 | |<->#<------+------>#<->|<->| | # | # | | | # | 6 # | | | # | # | | | # v # | | +---#################---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 7 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 8 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ 1 left margin 2 xres 3 right margin 4 horizontal sync len 5 upper margin 6 yres 7 lower margin 8 vertical sync len The area bordered with `#' is the visible display area. Horizontal and vertical frequencies can now easily be calculated, for this the sum of horizontal or vertical values are important htotal = left + xres + right + hslen vtotal = upper + yres + lower + vslen The length of one line can now be calculated with pixclock line = pixclock * htotal and we have the horizontal frequency hfreq = 1E12 / line = 1E12 / (pixclock * htotal) To get the vertical frequency vtotal must eventually adjusted. If the display is laced, vtotal must be halved or if the display is a dou- blescan one, vtotal must be doubled. Now we can calculate the length of one frame if (lace) vtotal /= 2 if (double) vtotal *= 2 frame = vtotal * line and we get also the vertical frequency vfreq = 1E12 / frame = hfreq / vtotal SEE ALSO
fbset(8), fbdev(4) 2.1 2003-08-07 fb.modes(5)