Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell - Read a text file with two words and extract data Post 302983626 by Scrutinizer on Friday 14th of October 2016 04:02:47 AM
Old 10-14-2016
Hi, try using arrays:
Code:
while IFS=', ' read -a F
do
  printf "%s\n" "${F[@]}"
done <  newtest2.txt > output.txt

But there is another issue:
There are fields that contain spaces, so the IFS value will not work properly.

So try this instead:
Code:
while IFS=, read -a F
do
  printf "%s\n" "${F[@]# }"
done < newtest2.txt > output.txt

Here the IFS is set to a single comma and a spurious leading space gets cut off through parameter expansion (# )

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 10-14-2016 at 05:09 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read all the unique words in a text file

How can i read all the unique words in a file, i used - cat comment_file.txt | /usr/xpg6/bin/tr -sc 'A-Za-z' '/012' and cat comment_file.txt | /usr/xpg6/bin/tr -sdc 'A-Za-z' '/012' but they didnt worked..... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aditya.ece1985
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read data from text file and to load it into a table in TOAD

Hi....can you guys help me out in this script?? Below is a portion text file and it contains these: GEF001 000093625 MKL002510 000001 000000 000000 000000 000000 000000 000001 GEF001 000093625 MKL003604 000001 000000 000000 000000 000000 000000 000001 GEF001 000093625 MKL005675 000001... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pallavishetty
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data

hi all, I have this file with some user data. example: $cat myfile.txt FName|LName|Gender|Company|Branch|Bday|Salary|Age aaaa|bbbb|male|cccc|dddd|19900814|15000|20| eeee|asdg|male|gggg|ksgu|19911216||| aara|bdbm|male|kkkk|acke|19931018||23| asad|kfjg|male|kkkc|gkgg|19921213|14000|24|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimal
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the data from the text file in shell script?

I am having one text file and i need to read that data from my shell script. I will expain you the scenario: Script look like: For name type 1: For age type 2: For Salary type3: echo "Enter the input:" read the data if input is 1 then go to the Text file and print the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshmurs
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file and extract data by matching pattern

Hello, I have a file ( say file1) which has lines like below. xxxx:xxxx,yyyy,1234,efgh zzzz:zzzz,kkkk,pppp,1234,xxxx,uuuu,oooo dddd:dddd here the word before ":" ( ie: xxxx) is the file name and the string after : are also file names, but each file name separated by "," In case of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression with shell script to extract data out of a text file

hi i am trying to extract some specific data out of a text file using regular expressions with shell script that is using a multiline grep .. and the tool i am using is pcregrep so that i can get compatibility with perl's regular expressions for a sample data like this, i am trying to grab... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemkiran
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to extract uique words from text file

Hello programmers, I need to create a list of unique words from a text file using PERL...may i have the code for that please? Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alsohari
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)