Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk Post 302983319 by rbatte1 on Monday 10th of October 2016 05:29:28 AM
Old 10-10-2016
My first comments would be that even in single user, the device is active. You would need to go to single user from external media, e.g.
Code:
OK> boot cdrom -s

The process may work, but the geometry of the disk may not give you a workable boot disk.

Can I presume that you are trying to create a bootable disk? For Solaris (and I last did it back to 2.6!) it was a ufsdump to tape. You can then ufsrestore it to another filesystem. You would first have to prepare the disk by booting to single user from CD and using format to slice it up (we didn't have Veritas or anything) but then there's more about devices to be cleaned up & regenerated because the hardware was different on the recovery server etc.

It is no easy task to work through but simple to follow once we'd proved it. Alas that has all gone many years past and I cannot recall it all.

Robin

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrade Hard Disk to a larger one

Hello folks, I have a sun sparcstation 20, I would like to upgrade one of the hard disks to a larger one. The one I would like to upgrade only contains user data. Here are my thoughts: 1. Backup the specific file system 2. Replace the disk with the larger disk 3. Create a new file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DLongan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The hard disk at channel 2, target 1 had a soft error.

Hi there! I received the following error message The hard disk at channel 2, target 1 had a soft error. The output of a system check reveiled the following (see entry <2,1> ): SWXCR xcr0 error counters: RAID Array 200 Controller Family Information Utility V1.03... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivo
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Upgrading To Larger Disk?

I have just been assigned the task of upgrading to a larger disk on a e250; however, I am use to working on Linux and x86 hardware. I would be very appreciative if someone could inform me on how this procedure can be done safely. To begin with, the e250 has a 18 Gig primary scsi disk and a 18... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Controller target disk?

Hi, I am a newbie to Solaris. I want to know how to find out the controller target and disk number on a SunFire V890 box that has 6X72GB disks. The probe-scsi output is as shown below: /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@2 LiD HA LUN --- Port WWN --- ----- Disk description ----- 0 0 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhir_shet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file whick is consuming larger disk space in file system

Hello, Can anybody please tell me the command to find out the filesystem or a file which is consuming larger disk space sing i want to find out the file and want to compress it please help me out any help would be appreciated (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshpashine
6 Replies

6. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

7. Solaris

How to specify local boot up disk in CD boot Grub?

Hi Solaris 10 Experts, I am wondering what is the correct syntax to edit in Grub when trying to specify the local ZFS boot disk while booting up from a Solaris 10 x86 64bits DVD installation disk. In other word, I try to boot up from local disk without removing the Solaris installation disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
0 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)