Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compressing & removing files in a directory & subdirectory Post 302983233 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 8th of October 2016 07:04:17 AM
Old 10-08-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by disedorgue
Hi,
Here, we can use only one find command:
Code:
find $DIRECTORY -type f  ! -name '*.gz'  -mtime +10 -exec gzip {} \; -o -name '*.gz' -mtime +365 -exec rm {} \;

Regards.
The part after the -type f should be in (esccaped) brackets, otherwise it would attempt to rm an old *.gz directory.
Or this version that also eliminates a redundant -name '*.gz'
Code:
find $DIRECTORY -type f -mtime +10 \( ! -name '*.gz' -exec gzip -f {} \; -o -mtime +365 -exec rm {} \; \)

Ok, this will delete all files if +365 days old, including uncompressed ones (where gzip has failed). Rather a feature than a mistake.
The efficient + instead of the \;should work as well.

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 10-08-2016 at 08:19 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list largest files in a directory & its subdirectories

I need to find the largest files in a directory & it's subdirectories. I'm not sure what options on ls -l will work to give me this. or is there another way to do this? Thanks, igidttam (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace in subdirectory (filename & content - both)

Hi, I have to rename all occurance of CUST_MST to RESELLER_MST both in filename and file content under a directory (say D0) which contains multiple (2-3 levels) sub directory. Example: D0 -> D1 -> D2 has a file CUST_MST_TEMP.txt this contains : > cat /D0/D1/D2/CUST_MST_TEMP.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & Copy Selected files to another Directory

I am wanting to find files within a directory that are over a certain number of days old and copy them to another directory. And unfortunately not having much luck.......is someone able to help. Would also like to add that there are literally thousands of files that I am wanting to copy in one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellfyre
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting the different files from directory & its sub directories

Hi Everyone, It would be helpful if someone helps me on this. Requirement: I have a directory which includes different types of files(for example *.java,*.class),but not restricted for only these types. I need to find the same types of file extensions from its directories and subdirectories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcvasu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Just listing size, timestamp & name of files in a directory

How can I list the files in a directory and just show the file size, date stamp, timestamp and file name.. I've been trying to ls -lrt the directory to a file and then use the cut command but I'm not having any luck with getting the proper results.. I thought i could use the -f switch and count... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare 2 files & get specific value & replace it in other file.

Hiiii Friends I have 2 files with huge data. I want to compare this 2 files & if they hav same set of vales in specific rows & columns i need to get that value from one file & replace it in other. For example: I have few set data of both files here: a.dat: PDE-W 2009 12 16 5 29 11.11 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help in reading N days files from a Directory & combining the files

Hi All, Request your expertise in tackling one requirement in my project,(i dont have much expertise in Shell Scripting). The requirement is as below, 1) We store the last run date of a process in a file. When the batch run the next time, it should read this file, get the last run date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Directory for files & Email

I'm working on a bash script to move files from one location, to two. The first part of my challenge is intended to check a particular directory for contents (e.g. files or other items in it), if files exists, then send the list of names to a txt file and email me the text file. If files do not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
4 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)