Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX 100% Inode full with only 67% FS full. Post 302983105 by mrmurdock on Thursday 6th of October 2016 10:46:18 AM
Old 10-06-2016
100% Inode full with only 67% FS full.

AIX Version 6.1 and 7.1.
I understand that when the OS initially creates the FS and inodes, its pretty strict, but not always tuned to a 1:1 ratio. I see the same thing when adding a whole disk LV to a separate device.
It seems that when we expand a filesystem the inodes don't get tuned appropriately. So we end up with a 100% inode table full with a % of FS still available.

I know under some other OS's they have like tunefs or other type of filesystem maintenance to help with the inodes to FS space allocation.

What does AIX provide to do the same. getting kinda tired of seeing a 12gb root (/ fs) full with only 67% fs full and a 100% inode table full. I cannot expand the filesystem any more due lack of free PP's.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

%Inode used full

Hello I have used 100% of inode in a file system can you increase thie number of inode without backup-make the file system again-restore ? thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

2. Solaris

/ directory is 100% full

Dear experts My / directory shows 100% full. What should I do??? What is normal size and how can I prevent it. I am using Solaris 8 on an Ultra 60. Thanks for your advises. Reza (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
6 Replies

3. Solaris

when 100% full, it says some available

Just a quick question ....as per my df -k below, I have a file system marked at 100% full, why does it say there is 44,240 kb available ?? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 2055463 1753694 240106 88% / /proc 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

4. AIX

/var 100% full

What to do if /var filesystem in Aix is completely full ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkhan
2 Replies

5. Linux

Disk full 100%

one of my servers / was full by 100% i cleard some space, now though i have enough space on / partition still df is showing disk usage as 100% am not able to create any single txt file ? why so ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryanabhay
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dev/sda1 100% full

Hi! I have a problem with my disk, it is full as you can see # df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 64380356 63125180 0 100% / none 3116000 0 3116000 0% /dev/shm /dev/sdb1 282015652... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruisof
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

8. AIX

Paging space is 100% full

Paging space is 100% full? what step can i take (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramraj731
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Zpool showing 100% full

Hi, This is Solaris-10 on Sparc. Due to some reason, one zpool size is showing 100% full, while nothing is there in that. dstr03-zone02 is a non global zone running on physical machine - dstr03 root@dstr03:/# df -h | grep -i zone02 zone02_app_pool 60G 31K 3.8G 1% ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies
sg_get_fs_stats(3)					     Library Functions Manual						sg_get_fs_stats(3)

NAME
sg_get_fs_stats - get filesystem statistics SYNOPSIS
#include <statgrab.h> sg_fs_stats *sg_get_fs_stats(int *entries); DESCRIPTION
The sg_get_fs_stats takes a pointer to an int, entries, which is filled with the number of mounted file systems the machine has. The return value is a pointer to the first member of an array of sg_fs_stats structures; the number of entries in the array is returned in entries. The function returns statistics about mounted filesystems, including free space and inode usage. RETURN VALUES
sg_get_fs_stats returns a pointer to a structure of type sg_fs_stats. typedef struct { char *device_name; char *fs_type; char *mnt_point; long long size; long long used; long long avail; long long total_inodes; long long used_inodes; long long free_inodes; long long avail_inodes; long long io_size; long long block_size; long long total_blocks; long long free_blocks; long long used_blocks; long long avail_blocks; } sg_fs_stats; device_name The name known to the operating system. (eg. on linux it might be hda) fs_type The type of the filesystem. mnt_point The mount point of the file system. size The size, in bytes, of the file system. used The amount of space, in bytes, used on the filesystem. avail The amount of space, in bytes, available on the filesystem. total_inodes The total number of inodes in the filesystem. used_inodes The number of used inodes in the filesystem. free_inodes The number of free inodes in the filesystem. avail_inodes The number of free inodes available to non-privileged processes. io_size A suggested optimal block size for IO operations -- if you're reading or writing lots of data, do it in chunks of this size. block_size How big blocks actually are on the underlying filesystem (typically for purposes of stats reporting). total_blocks The total number of blocks in the filesystem. free_blocks The number of free blocks in the filesystem. used_blocks The number of used blocks in the filesystem. avail_blocks The number of free blocks available to non-privileged processes. SEE ALSO
statgrab(3) WEBSITE
http://www.i-scream.org/libstatgrab/ i-scream $Date: 2005/07/13 13:01:23 $ sg_get_fs_stats(3)