Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX [Opinion] A Public Answer To Rob McNelly Post 302982561 by zaxxon on Friday 30th of September 2016 04:49:24 AM
Old 09-30-2016
SmilieSmilie Sorry I have to laugh, but those guys in Bulgaria remind me of a Deja Vu with another big company that seems to have found the same cost friendly country to place their support at. Those poor chaps acted often the same like you described and sometimes didn't want to pass calls to the next level which was also no big help.

So what Rob wrote in his answer, that you as customer should escalate etc. is in my eyes not a nice but maybe a common business behaviour these days with some big companies, to have the customer involved to ensure the quality of the vendor's support.
We heared this with the other big company too, but having to involve an escalation manager etc. gets tideous after some time as well and one asks himself, what is going wrong there, that I have to do so much effort to get some help or sometimes at least someone that even understands what my problem is.
If you put people there, that have not enough experience to offer good support, then this is a problem of the vendor and must not be a problem for the customer. It feels a bit like the concept of green banana software being used for support structures.

So why is the HMC so locked up...
Yes, in the long time as AIX admin I did not like it at all and absolutely agree with you, that people that are responsible for plenty mission critical servers with sensible applications/users, that already have the knowledge at hand to get along with the HMC, should be allowed to do so by default. They can still open up a support call if they get stuck.

Because if an admin has no clue and screws up one or many LPARs, he will usually be in more serious trouble than the one that screws up a HMC, which usually comes redundant with 2 of them, where not all important LPARs are always redundant.
And don't forget the VIOS - do something wrong there and you have a good chance that really lot's of LPARs get problems, so what.
In the end in a professional environment one will have a backup for the LPAR, VIOS as well as for the HMC.
And severe LPAR damage has most often a direct impact to users ie. our customers, even if it is "just" a cluster switch that takes some minutes but gets maybe 10k users disconnected and maybe some unpleasant attention by your boss/managers. Trouble with the HMC will usually go unnoticed by our users.

So the HMC is at least locked up for 2 reasons in my eyes:

a) The customer has strongly to rely on the support of the vendor. This is a dependency and some kind of "bonding" of the customer to the vendor. The vendor gets cash, the customer has a helping hand and feels good withit, simply they are just good friends and will most likely have more business in the future Smilie So far the possible theory.

b) It was said in the discussion, that the admins often have not enough skill/experience - true, but these guys have been in business way back in time and such will be in the future.
I have the impression, that in favour of cost efficient support structures, they have tried to make the HMC to be being easily maintained by their support, not because the customer side is so unexperienced.

cheers
zaxxon

Last edited by zaxxon; 09-30-2016 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: this and that
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need your help and opinion

Hey all, I'm brand new to Unix/Linux and have a couple of questions. I own a small education/consulting company that has a staff of approx. 50 employees. Most our work is geared towards the office-style environment (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). There are also some C and Java programmers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennie1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Your Opinion requested

Ladies/Gentlemen, I am looking for a web-based tool to keep track of my Sun inventory. The following list of fields are fields I would like to store: Root Passwd (needs to be secure) / Hostid / Console Port / IP Address / Platform / Application / Hostname . . . you get the point. Do any of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Opinion

Hi, I am new at this site and at unix. I was reading some answers that the administrators and moderators have posted to others, and sometimes I feel like their a little sarcastic. I am asking just to be patient to me, I know nothing about unix but I do want to learn, and I think that positive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HN19
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expert Opinion

This perhaps does not belong in ths category; apologies, however, we have a heated debate going and your input will decide the result. Should UNIX (HP, AIX, etc) be rebooted following a monthly cycle (Every month, or a qtr, etc.). We have some UX admins (grumps) who say they have seen a UX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are public keys in ssh and how do we create the public keys??

Hi All, I am having knowledge on some basics of ssh and wanted to know what are the public keys and how can we create and implement it in connecting server. Please provide the information for the above, it would be helpful for me. Thanks, Ravindra (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi3cha
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Something in my mind - what's your opinion ?

Dear Forum staff / Advisors / members , I am having something in my mind, about Linux / Unix possible Interview questions collections, I guess if I post them here,which might be useful for our members and for students, and in meantime we can discuss also about those questions, what's your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies