Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Compare Values between column in the same file Post 302982312 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 28th of September 2016 12:39:00 AM
Old 09-28-2016
Please STOP changing your posts. If you keep updating post #1 in your threads, no one can follow the conversation we are having trying to get a clear specification of your problem. In the future, please stop and think about what you are asking us to help you do before you submit your first post!

If you need to add more details, do so in subsequent posts; don't keep changing post #1 in a thread. During the time that I have been trying to compose this message, you have edited post #1 at least a dozen times. How can you expect anyone to help you if you keep changing the description of what you want done!

You have now told us what columns need to be added when column 3 is one of A, C, E, M, N, P, S, SE, or EAMS. And you have told us that column 3 can have numerous other values with absolutely no specification of what is supposed to happen in those cases. (Unless you have changed things again and I missed it.)

Please give us a clear description of what needs to be done and then ask for help. I'm tired to trying to keep up with a constantly changing, incomplete description of what you want done.

You constantly state that a list of fields have to be added, but from your sample data that seems like a waste of time. Since none of your input fields seem to have negative values, can your script just add warning (which is what is in your description) or Warning (which is what is in your code) or WARNING (which is what is in your sample output) instead of Good (which is in your description) or Goodd (which is what is in your code) or GOOD (which is what is in your sample output) when any of the specified fields contains a non-zero value (instead of adding them all together and then looking for a non-zero sum)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to extract last column of a file and compare the values

Hi, I am new to unix and I need help in solving below mentioned issue, really appreciate ur help. I have a file sam, john, 2324, 07142007 tom, thomson, 2343, 07142007 john, scott, 2478, 07142007 its a comma delimited file, I need to extract the last column from each line and this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vukkusila
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the values of a column in awk in a same file and consecutive lines..

I would like to compare the values of 2nd column of consecutive lines of same file in such a way so that if the difference between first value and second value is more than 100 it should print complete line else ignore line. Input File ========== PDB 2500 RTDB 123 RTDB-EAGLE 122 VSCCP 2565... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manuswami
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take values from a column and put it in a variable and compare

Hi, I have a table in unix from which i want to read the contents line by line, then filter out the values from 6th column one by one and compare it a fixed value. How to do this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare values of fields from same column with awk

Hi all ! If there is only one single value in a column (e.g. column 1 below), then return this value in the same output column. If there are several values in the same column (e.g. column 2 below), then return the different values separated by "," in the output. pipe-separated input: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the values of a column in a same file using awk?

Dear Unix experts, I have got a file where I would like to compare the values of second column if first column is same in such a way that the difference between the values is >50. If not, I would like to discard both values. For example, my input file looks like - comp275_c0_seq2 73... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: utritala
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files column values using awk

Judi # cat File1 judi /export/home 76 judi /usr 83 judi # judi # cat File2 judi /export/home 79 judi /usr 82 judi # if COLUMN3 of File2 is greater that COLUMN3 of File1, then print File2's lines juid /export/home 79 Code tags please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: judi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare values in multiple rows in one column using awk

I would like to compare values in column 8, and grep the ones where the different is > 1, columns 1 and 2 are the key for array. Every 4 rows the records values in columns 1 and 2 changed. Then, the comparison in the column 8 need to be done for the 4 rows everytime columns 1 and 2 changed ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies
PSIGNAL(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						PSIGNAL(9)

NAME
psignal, pgsignal, gsignal, tdsignal -- post signal to a thread, process, or process group SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/signalvar.h> void psignal(struct proc *p, int signum); void pgsignal(struct pgrp *pgrp, int signum, int checkctty); void gsignal(int pgid, int signum); void tdsignal(struct thread *td, int signum); DESCRIPTION
These functions post a signal to a thread or one or more processes. The argument signum common to all three functions should be in the range [1-NSIG]. The psignal() function posts signal number signum to the process represented by the process structure p. With a few exceptions noted below, the target process signal disposition is updated and is marked as runnable, so further handling of the signal is done in the context of the target process after a context switch. Note that psignal() does not by itself cause a context switch to happen. The target process is not marked as runnable in the following cases: o The target process is sleeping uninterruptibly. The signal will be noticed when the process returns from the system call or trap. o The target process is currently ignoring the signal. o If a stop signal is sent to a sleeping process that takes the default action (see sigaction(2)), the process is stopped without awakening it. o SIGCONT restarts a stopped process (or puts them back to sleep) regardless of the signal action (e.g., blocked or ignored). If the target process is being traced psignal() behaves as if the target process were taking the default action for signum. This allows the tracing process to be notified of the signal. The pgsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group described by pgrp. If checkctty is non-zero, the sig- nal will be posted only to processes that have a controlling terminal. pgsignal() is implemented by walking along the process list headed by the field pg_members of the process group structure pointed at by pgrp and calling psignal() as appropriate. If pgrp is NULL no action is taken. The gsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group identified by the group id pgid. gsignal() first finds the group structure associated with pgid, then invokes pgsignal() with the argument checkctty set to zero. If pgid is zero no action is taken. The tdsignal() function posts signal number signum to the thread represented by the thread structure td. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), signal(9), tsleep(9) BSD
October 8, 2011 BSD