Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX mail utility
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX mail utility Post 302980744 by stomp on Thursday 1st of September 2016 06:34:30 PM
Old 09-01-2016
Under Unix there is a separation of process with different functions. mailx is a mail user agent. It creates a mail from the user and delivers it via sendmail-binary.Look here for an explanation:

linux - Does mailx send mail using an SMTP relay or does it directly connect to the target SMTP server? - Super User

At the linked thread, there is also a possibility howto use mailx with your own preferred smtp-server using command line arguments. Maybe this is an option for you too.

So in short mailx has neither an smtp server configured within itself nor does it even know about that server. There is probably an MTA(Mail Transfer Agent) at your HP-UX Box, which is responsible for sending mails. This MTA(Popular MTAs are postfix and exim, others are courier, sendmail(the above mentioned sendmail-binary and the sendmail-mta are quite different things)). Sometimes there are some simple relay-only-MTAs(like nullmailer), which are just transferring the mail to remote MTA and let that take care of the real mail processing.

Knowing nearly nothing about HP-UX, just assuming that the software-stack is some levels older than under linux, I'm guessing there is some version of the sendmail-mta running. So if available: ask your local sysadmin. Smilie configuring sendmail is fun. Though not the type of fun you are used to.

Configuration files are located standardized within the /etc directory. Somewhere in this directory subtree, the mailserver is configured.

For a start, you may search the /etc directory recursively for your current used mailserver, like this:

Code:
grep -r mailserver.domain.tld /etc

You can grep through your application directory too. Of course grep will not find your mailservername if contained inside a compressed file(like a jar).

Last edited by stomp; 09-01-2016 at 07:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can not send mail from unix server to company/yahoo mail

hi, Gurus, I need some help with sending mail out from my UNIX server: It is running Solaris 2.6 and the sendmail version is 8.8. Output of :/usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null Version 8.8.8+Sun Compiled with: LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b5fnpct
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with tip utility in unix

Hi , I have wrote a telnet clinet application to interact with remote system . This program takes the screen shots for every interaction and send back to us. After connecting to remote machine , i want to call tip utility to interact with a device which is connected to one remote system. Now my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadvsda
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am not able to send mail form unix to other mail accounts.

Using Mailx command i.e mailx -s "subject" chinni@hotmail.com < \tmp\chin this command executed sucessfully but not able to receive the mail in chinni@hotmail.com please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnigd
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

VLOOKUP utility in UNIX

Kindly help me to build the script similar to VLOOKUP function of MS Excell. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hjoshi
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

age utility in unix

Hi, Can anyone explain me the use of age utility and how it works? Looking forward reply... Thanks, Venkatesh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix mail to personal mail, Strange behavour

Hi. I am running a script on solaris 10 and mailing it to my personal email. the script is ran as user xxx, And i have edited the crontab for user xxx to run the script and mail it to my email account. /network_check.sh | /usr/bin/mailx -s "Network Test" k454@hotmail.com the sript... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k00061804
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Problem with mail utility on linux

Hi, I am facing problem with "mail" utility on redhat linux. If I use ~c in a file and use that file as imput to mail, the mail is not sent to the adrress after ~c. Instead ~c apears in the mail content itself. $ mail a@mycompany.com < temp $ cat temp ~c abc@mycompany.com this is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail utility not displaying escape sequences

Hello! I created a file that displays text underlined. However when I pass the file into the mail utility it doesnt display the underline. Here is the code: echo "\n\033 cat test_underline.txt mail -s "testing of underline" <email_address> < test_underline.txt Any ideas?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPERTS
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I send a mail from my outlook or other mail accounts to UNIX server?

Hi all, I want to send a mail for my business needs from outlook account to an unix server (HP-UX) but I don't send any mail. While I can send from the unix server to my outlook account, I can't send from outlook to unix. How can I achieve this ? How can I send a mail from my outlook or other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igelegin
2 Replies

10. Linux

UNIX Utility Development Conventions?

I'm slowly hacking away at a zsh script that shows some promise as a command line tool. I want to learn more about the conventions regarding command line tool development in Unix (and/or macOS), but don't really know where to look for this information. What is the correct way, or convention, to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MonilGomes
2 Replies
MAILER.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    MAILER.CONF(5)

NAME
mailer.conf -- configuration file for mailwrapper(8) DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/mailer.conf contains a series of lines of the form name program [arguments ...] The first word of each line is the name of a program invoking mailwrapper(8). (For example, on a typical system /usr/sbin/sendmail would be a symbolic link to mailwrapper(8), as would newaliases(1) and mailq(1). Thus, name might be ``sendmail'' or ``newaliases'' etc.) The second word of each line is the name of the program to actually execute when the first name is invoked. The further arguments, if any, are passed to the program, followed by the arguments mailwrapper(8) was called with. The file may also contain comment lines, denoted by a '#' mark in the first column of any line. The default mailer is postfix(1), which will also start by default (unless specifically disabled via an rc.conf(5) setting) so that locally generated mail can be delivered, if the ``sendmail'' setting in /etc/mailer.conf is set to ``/usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail''. FILES
/etc/mailer.conf EXAMPLES
This example shows how to set up mailer.conf to invoke the postfix(1) program: sendmail /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail mailq /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail newaliases /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail This example shows the use of the mini-sendmail package from pkgsrc in place of postfix(1): # Send outgoing mail to a smart relay using mini-sendmail sendmail /usr/pkg/sbin/mini-sendmail -srelayhost send-mail /usr/pkg/sbin/mini-sendmail -srelayhost Note the use of additional arguments. SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), postfix(1), mailwrapper(8) pkgsrc/mail/sendmail, pkgsrc/mail/mini_sendmail HISTORY
mailer.conf appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the ``behave differently if invoked with a different name'' behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
April 10, 2010 BSD