Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to count and rename based on fields Post 302980383 by cmccabe on Friday 26th of August 2016 01:29:09 PM
Old 08-26-2016
sorry:

awk
Code:
awk -F'\t' '$5=="-"{count++}
            $4=="-"{count++} 
                  END{print "Category","Count"; 
                      print "indel",count+0}' input | # replace nulls with zero
  column -t > count # print out tab-delimited

Last edited by cmccabe; 08-26-2016 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: fixed format

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of fields not using SED or AWK

hi forums i need help with a little problem i am having. i need to count the number of fields that are in a saved variable so i can use that number to make a different function work properly. is there a way of doing this without using SED/AWK? anything would be greatly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk count fields not working

Hi, i am trying to count the fields in a file. Input: 100,1000,,2000,3000,10/26/2012 12:12:30 200,3000,,1000,01/28/2012 17:12:30 300,5000,,5000,7000,09/06/2012 16:12:30 output: Cout of the fileds for each row 6 5 6 awk -F"," '{print $NF}' file1.txt When i try with above awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort based on difference of fields and print all fields

Hi I have a file as below <field1> <field2> <field3> ... <field_num1> <field_num2> Trying to sort based on difference of <field_num1> and <field_num2> in desceding order and print all fields. I tried this and it doesn't sort on the difference field .. Appreciate your help. cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newstart
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Combine multiple lines based on number of fields

If a file has following kind of data, comma delimited 1,2,3,4 1 1 1,2,3,4 1,2 2 2,3,4 My required output must have only 4 columns with comma delimited 1,2,3,4 111,2,3,4 1,222,3,4 I have tried many awk command using ORS="" but couldnt progress (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - split data based on the count

Greetings Experts, I am generating a validation query through awk and facing an issue, which I need to overcome by splitting the data based on the pattern matching count in the value of an array. File1 -- Table11@column1@date@Table21@column1@varchar(10)@d;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to output match and mismatch with count using specific fields

In the below awk I am trying output to one file those lines that match between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count in (). I am also trying to output those lines that are missing between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count of in () each. Both input files are tab-delimited, but the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines where field count is greather than 1 in two fields

I am trying to remove all the lines and spaces where the count in $4 or $5 is greater than 1 (more than 1 letter). The file and the output are tab-delimited. Thank you :). file X 5811530 . G C NLGN4X 17 10544696 . GA G MYH3 9 96439004 . C ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to search based on 5 user input fields

Field1=”” Field2=”” Field3=”” Field4=”” Field5=”” USER INPUT UP TO 5 FIELDS awk -F , '{ if ( $3 == Field1 && $6 == Field2 && $8 == Field3 && $9 == Field4 && $10 == Field5) print $0 }' /tmp/rodney.outD INPUT FILE (Rodney.outD): ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmerrird
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file based on match in 3 fields

Trying to use awk to store the value of $5 in file1 in array x. That array x is then used to search $4 of file1 to find aa match (I use x to skip the header in file1). Since $4 can have multiple strings in it seperated by a , (comma), I split them and iterate througn each split looking for a match.... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)