Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers sed awk: split a large file to unique file names Post 302980154 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 24th of August 2016 01:42:55 PM
Old 08-24-2016
I like the shell solution. It can become a little more I/O efficient (matters when the output files are written to a network file system):
Code:
p_col1=""
while read col1 rest
do
  if [ "$col1" != "$p_col1" ]
  then
    p_col1=$col1
    exec 3>"$col1".txt
  fi
  echo "$col1 $rest" >&3
done < Input_file
exec 3>&-

The input file must be sorted on col1 (otherwise: remove previous output files and append with exec 3>>"$col1".txt)

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 08-24-2016 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Removed comment about awk - close() releases the file descriptors!
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large file and add header and footer to each file

I have one large file, after every 200 line i have to split the file and the add header and footer to each small file? It is possible to add different header and footer to each file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashish4422
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split a file with unique sets

This may sound like a trivial problem, but I still need some help: I have a file with ids and I want to split it 'n' ways (could be any number) into files: 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 5 5 Let's assume 'n' is 3, and we cannot have the same id in two different partitions. So the partitions may... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract unique pattern from large text file

Hi All, I am trying to extract data from a large text file , I want to extract lines which contains a five digit number followed by a hyphen , like 12345- , i tried with egrep ,eg : egrep "+" text.txt but which returns all the lines which contains any number of digits followed by hyhen ,... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: shijujoe
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating a line in a large csv file, with sed/awk?

I have an extremely large csv file that I need to search the second field, and upon matches update the last field... I can pull the line with awk.. but apparently you cant use awk to directly update the file? So im curious if I can use sed to do this... The good news is the field I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get List of Unique File Names

I have a large directory of web pages. I am doing a search through the web pages using grep and would like to get a list of unique file names of search results. The following command works fine to give me a list of file names where term appears: grep -l term *.html However, since these are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjulich
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a data file into separate files with the file names depending upon a column's value?

Hi, I have a data file xyz.dat similar to the one given below, 2345|98|809||x|969|0 2345|98|809||y|0|537 2345|97|809||x|544|0 2345|97|809||y|0|651 9685|98|809||x|321|0 9685|98|809||y|0|357 9685|98|709||x|687|0 9685|98|709||y|0|234 2315|98|809||x|564|0 2315|98|809||y|0|537... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File by Pattern with File Names in Source File... Awk?

Hi all, I'm pretty new to Shell scripting and I need some help to split a source text file into multiple files. The source has a row with pattern where the file needs to be split, and the pattern row also contains the file name of the destination for that specific piece. Here is an example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cul8er
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change unique file names into new unique filenames

I have 84 files with the following names splitseqs.1, spliseqs.2 etc. and I want to change the .number to a unique filename. E.g. change splitseqs.1 into splitseqs.7114_1#24 and change spliseqs.2 into splitseqs.7067_2#4 So all the current file names are unique, so are the new file names.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avonm
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk not working on a large record file

Hi All, I have a very large single record file. abc;date||bcd;efg|......... pqr;stu||record_count;date when i do wc -l on this file it gives me "0" records, coz of missing line feed. my problem is there is an extra pipe that is coming at the end of this record like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
6 Replies

10. Linux

Split a large textfile (one file) into multiple file to base on ^L

Hi, Anyone can help, I have a large textfile (one file), and I need to split into multiple file to break each file into ^L. My textfile ========== abc company abc address abc contact ^L my company my address my contact my skills ^L your company your address ========== (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
3 Replies
Gtk2::ListStore(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Gtk2::ListStore(3pm)

NAME
Gtk2::ListStore - wrapper for GtkListStore HIERARCHY
Glib::Object +----Gtk2::ListStore INTERFACES
Gtk2::TreeModel Gtk2::TreeDragSource Gtk2::TreeDragDest Gtk2::TreeSortable Gtk2::Buildable METHODS
liststore = Gtk2::ListStore->new (...) o ... (list) of strings treeiter = $list_store->append $list_store->clear $list_store->set_column_types (...) o ... (list) of strings $list_store->set ($iter, $col1, $val1, ...) o $iter (Gtk2::TreeIter) o $col1 (integer) the first column number o $val1 (scalar) the first value o ... (list) pairs of column numbers and values treeiter = $list_store->insert ($position) o $position (integer) treeiter = $list_store->insert_after ($sibling) o $sibling (Gtk2::TreeIter or undef) treeiter = $list_store->insert_before ($sibling) o $sibling (Gtk2::TreeIter or undef) treeiter = $list_store->insert_with_values ($position, ...) o $position (integer) position to insert the new row o ... (list) pairs of column numbers and values Like doing insert followed by set, except that insert_with_values emits only the row-inserted signal, rather than row-inserted, row- changed, and, if the store is sorted, rows-reordered as in the multiple-operation case. Since emitting the rows-reordered signal repeatedly can affect the performance of the program, insert_with_values should generally be preferred when inserting rows in a sorted list store. Since: gtk+ 2.6 boolean = $list_store->iter_is_valid ($iter) o $iter (Gtk2::TreeIter) Since: gtk+ 2.2 $store->move_after ($iter, $position) o $iter (Gtk2::TreeIter) o $position (Gtk2::TreeIter or undef) Since: gtk+ 2.2 $store->move_before ($iter, $position) o $iter (Gtk2::TreeIter) o $position (Gtk2::TreeIter or undef) Since: gtk+ 2.2 treeiter = $list_store->prepend boolean = $list_store->remove ($iter) o $iter (Gtk2::TreeIter) The return is always a boolean in the style of Gtk 2.2.x and up, even when running on Gtk 2.0.x. $store->reorder (...) o ... (list) of integers the reordered posistions Reorders store to follow the order indicated by new_order. Note that this function only works with unsorted stores. A list of position should be passed, one for each item in the list. Since: gtk+ 2.2 $store->swap ($a, $b) o $a (Gtk2::TreeIter) o $b (Gtk2::TreeIter) Since: gtk+ 2.2 $list_store->set_value ($iter, $col, $val) o $iter (Gtk2::TreeIter) o $val (scalar) o $col (integer) SEE ALSO
Gtk2, Glib::Object COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2011 by the gtk2-perl team. This software is licensed under the LGPL. See Gtk2 for a full notice. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-27 Gtk2::ListStore(3pm)