Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How do I remove or hide SunOS version/release from remote login prompt? Post 302979559 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 16th of August 2016 09:12:45 AM
Old 08-16-2016
I would consider /etc/issue, /etc/banner or perhaps /etc/herald although these do depend on what service is offering the connection. Assuming you are connecting with telnet then have a look in your manual pages for telnetd to see what the service will do. I think I've seen this in the login page too, but I can't remember where or if perhaps I'm even making that up.

Am I right that you are looking for the pre-login banner/warning/welcome message and login prompt? The /etc/motd is usually displayed post-login, but of course it could be used pre-login too.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the difference : SunOS & Solaris Version.

Sorry I think someone already pointed out this but I couldn't find it. Please tell me what is the difference between SunOS Version and Solaris Version. What is the purpose of maintaining these two things ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS version 5.7 root password recovery?

I just received a Sun microsystem ultra 5 for a auction, it is running sunOS version 5.7, when it boots it asks for user login and password, I dont have either, is there a way to login in as root user with out the password or is there a way to recover the password so I can get in to my system? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mscav219
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to hide SSH version

I just been audited and one the recommendations is to hide the SSH version or give fake information. I went to openssh.com they don't seem to have any info on how to fix this :confused: Anybody knows how the heck can I hide the SSH version? The part which says # telnet localhost 22... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
19 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS login

Hello, I have a server with a SunOS, when its boots it shows me the version and then the the screen turns grey, I know with unix server you will promted to login, however in SUNOS this is not the case and there is balck screen.. I know the server is up as i can ping it and SSH-it, however... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexOne
0 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Hide svchost.exe (dos prompt) when executing scheduled task

hello everyone. I created a java program that will pop up a dialog, and scheduled it as a task. Everything works fine except when the scheduled java program runs and the dialog pops up, there is another dos prompt (svchost.exe) hanging behind the dialog box and doesn't go anywhere until the java... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
0 Replies

6. Linux

How to hide login messages ?

Hi, I intend to hide messages that appear when I login through telnet like: Entering character mode Escape character is '^]'. Please let me know how to do it ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fakharu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to hide shell terminal and run prompt program after ssh login for specified user

Hey guys, I have some task from my office to lock user on the specified directory after the user logged on using ssh. And then run prompt program to fill the required information. Yeah, just like an ATM system. My question: How could I do those?? AFAIK I have to edit the ~./bashrc. But the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franzramadhan
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Question about SunOS version, how to include in C source

Sorry if here is the wrong place to put this question, but for college we develop small programs in C using Solaris. Most of time is OK for us not to document nothing, until now. Every time program is executed must print OS name. Does Solaris has some predefined macros which I can include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing login details to htaccess login prompt

Hi, How i can pass the login details to the URL which is password protected with the htaccess using command line or script (perl,or shell,or php). Any help or hint appreciated. Thanks, SJ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SunOS - version upgrade - Control Characters

Hi, We have a scenario of OS upgrade and in a simialr upgrade last time, we noticed a few stray bytes appearing and it resulted in application programs failing..... Could you please share your expertise in removing such control characters in input/output files, to keep the ball rolling in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
1 Replies
LOGIN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  LOGIN(8)

NAME
login.krb5 - kerberos enhanced login program SYNOPSIS
login.krb5 [-p] [-fFe username] [-r | -k | -K | -h hostname] DESCRIPTION
login.krb5 is a modification of the BSD login program which is used for two functions. It is the sub-process used by krlogind and telnetd to initiate a user session and it is a replacement for the command-line login program which, when invoked with a password, acquires Ker- beros tickets for the user. login.krb5 will prompt for a username, or take one on the command line, as login.krb5 username and will then prompt for a password. This password will be used to acquire Kerberos Version 5 tickets (if possible.) It will also attempt to run aklog to get AFS tokens for the user. The version 5 tickets will be tested against a local krb5.keytab if it is available, in order to verify the tickets, before letting the user in. However, if the password matches the entry in /etc/passwd the user will be unconditionally allowed (permitting use of the machine in case of network failure.) OPTIONS
-p preserve the current environment -r hostname pass hostname to rlogind. Must be the last argument. -h hostname pass hostname to telnetd, etc. Must be the last argument. -f name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -F name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -e name Perform pre-authenticated, encrypted login. Must do term negotiation. CONFIGURATION
login.krb5 is also configured via krb5.conf using the login stanza. A collection of options dealing with initial authentication are pro- vided: krb5_get_tickets Use password to get V5 tickets. Default value true. krb_run_aklog Attempt to run aklog. Default value false. aklog_path Where to find it [not yet implemented.] Default value $(prefix)/bin/aklog. accept_passwd Don't accept plaintext passwords [not yet implemented]. Default value false. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection or tty associated with stderr. SEE ALSO
rlogind(8), rlogin(1), telnetd(8) LOGIN(8)