Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions How to prevent sed command removing whole line? Post 302979295 by RudiC on Friday 12th of August 2016 04:15:03 AM
Old 08-12-2016
Slight modification of itkamaraj's fine proposal to yield the full required output:
Code:
echo "a=5; /* this is a comment */" | sed "s;.*\(/\*.*\*/\);\1;"
/* this is a comment */

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing parts of a line with SED

hi, i'm trying to erase all the characters after, and including, the first test test Output: test1 test2 test3 this is what I tried, but didn't work sed "s/*//" file > testfilename any suggestions? thanks, gammmaman (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammaman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a line containing a pattern in sed

i need to use sed to remove an entire line containing a pattern stored in a variable say $var1 this var1 will be a URL and will therefore contain slashes any help would be greatly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fire_Storm
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question (Removing a line of text)

I am working with bash on HP-UX server at school. As practice for scripting, I am trying to make a pretend server admin script that adds a user to the system, deletes a user from the system, and lists all users of the pretend system. I have accomplished this with a select loop. Adding users, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterscout1977
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing end of line using SED

Hello Friends, How can I remove the last two values of this line using sed John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638:9/3/90:45900 The result should look like this: John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing until end of line

All: Can somebody help me out with a sed command, which removes the the first occurance of ')' until the end of the line If I have the following input ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or awk - removing part of line?

hi all, I am having trouble finding the right string for this - I dont know whether to use awk or sed.. If I have a file with alot of names and phone numbers like this McGowan,Sean 978-934-4000 Kilcoyne,Kathleen 603-555-1212 Club603,The 617-505-1332 Boyle,William 301-444-1221 And... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: alis
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command for removing symbols

Hi I am trying to remove all the symbols in a file (testfile1) and using the below command to do that. Its not working for me. Can you help me on what is wrong with below script? I want to retain only alphabets in a file and remove all the symbols like *:.+= etc sed 's/^.//g' testfile1 > testfile2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepcm
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Removing all characters from token to end of line

Hello. The token is any printable characters between 2 " . The token is unknown, but we know that it is between 2 " Tok 1 : "1234x567" Tok 2 : "A3b6+None" Tok 3 : "A3b6!1234=@" The ligne is : Line 1 : "9876xABCDE"Do you have any code fragments or data samples in your post Line 2 : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)