Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting email output in single line with out space in email Post 302978745 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 3rd of August 2016 07:43:31 AM
Old 08-03-2016
This assumes you are complaining about how the final email looks on the user's screen.
You are ultimately writing an html document, not plain text.
Code:
echo "Content-Type: text/html"

One way to deal with your problem is to switch from html to text. Another is to use html scripting.

You may want to learn very basic html scripting, one site is here:

HTML br tag

This particular page deals with an html tag <br>. I cannot tell if you want line breaks
or not but place this tag at the end of each line of text you want displayed in email - each tag makes a line break.

It is up to you to find and use the various tags you require to get a correct format in the email.

Going text only is simpler from the programming point of view. Using /usr/bin/mailx instead of sendmail is also an easier approach.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to send eMail from a UNIX-Host ( using mailx ) to a Outlook-email-addres(Win)

Hi A) I am able to send eMail using mailx from a UNIX ( solaris 8 ) host to my Outlook-email-ID : FName.Surname@Citigroup.com ( This is NOT my actual -eMail-ID). But in Outlook the "From :" eMail address is displayed as " usr1@unix-host1.unregistered.email.citicorp.com " .i.e the words... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vetrivela
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coverting Firstname <Space> Lastname into email id

I have a file like below : bash-2.03$ cat neweamil2 Nigueel Rafferty Thomas333 Middletonsss Shwaita33 Ambasss Zhi21 Caiss Saluweh Husain Nigueel Rafferty Saleuikh Husainse Desiyshskan Santhio Need to convert firstname <space> lastname into email id . For eg. (1st... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping out more than a space from a line, but keep single space.

Hi all, Is there a way to perform the above, I am trying to strip out more than one space from a line, but keep the single space. See below output example. My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 Please note that the lines would contain... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new to ldap, send email to a ou or group, and see a list from email client

hi, i'm running openldap on ubuntu 10.04, creating new items with apache directory studio (windows version). i use the ldap just as an address book to our small office (email clients are windows live mail 2009, 2011, microsoft outlook 2007 and 2010). a. i cant see a list of the contacts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: V4705
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check and compare disk space and email it

I am very new to Linux and learning to script. This is for one of my servers at work that I have to keep track off as far as disk space and how it is used. I have tried to go line by line but little things keep chewing me up. I would appreciate any and all help or advice, and Mutt is installed on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgtjkj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using top command to email if process is exceeding 25% and sending an email alert if so

This is my first time writing a script and Im having some trouble, Im trying to use the top command to monitor processes and the amount of CPU usage they require, my aim is to get an email if a process takes over a certain percentage of CPU usage I tried grep Obviosly that hasnt worked, Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay02
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending an email if system disk space is low

Hello i have a working script that sends me an email if system disk space is above 98%. I would like to add an extra command to the if condition. If disk space is above 98% it would also add an output of cd /var/log && du -sBM * |sort -n 2>&1 |grep -v -e "0M" -e "1M" command to the email. I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: taf130
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Disk Space Usage Status via email

Hi Guys, Is there any way I can write a script that sends DISK SPACE USAGE STATUS via email once a week? Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: g4v1n
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate disk space usage email alert

hi all members I have a shell script to generate disk space usage email alert if threshold is more than 80 %, now the requirement changed to keep sending alert emails for every 5% incremental usage ........ Any help would be greatly appreciated. ex - 80% , 85% ,90%,95%,100% we should get an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending sql output to email body with conditional subject line

hi , i have written below piece of code to meet the requirement but i am stuck in the logic here. the requirement are: 1) to send the sql out put to email body with proper formatting. 2) if count_matching = Yes then mail should triggered with the subject line ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzkashi
10 Replies
CALIBRE-SMTP(1) 						      calibre							   CALIBRE-SMTP(1)

NAME
calibre-smtp - part of calibre SYNOPSIS
calibre-smtp [options] [from to text] DESCRIPTION
Send mail using the SMTP protocol. calibre-smtp has two modes of operation. In the compose mode you specify from to and text and these are used to build and send an email message. In the filter mode, calibre-smtp reads a complete email message from STDIN and sends it. text is the body of the email message. If text is not specified, a complete email message is read from STDIN. from is the email address of the sender and to is the email address of the recipient. When a complete email is read from STDIN, from and to are only used in the SMTP negotiation, the message headers are not modified. Whenever you pass arguments to calibre-smtp that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks. OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -l, --localhost Host name of localhost. Used when connecting to SMTP server. -o, --outbox Path to maildir folder to store failed email messages in. -f, --fork Fork and deliver message in background. If you use this option, you should also use --outbox to handle delivery failures. -t, --timeout Timeout for connection -v, --verbose Be more verbose COMPOSE MAIL Options to compose an email. Ignored if text is not specified -a, --attachment File to attach to the email -s, --subject Subject of the email SMTP RELAY Options to use an SMTP relay server to send mail. calibre will try to send the email directly unless --relay is specified. -r, --relay An SMTP relay server to use to send mail. --port Port to connect to on relay server. Default is to use 465 if encryption method is SSL and 25 otherwise. -u, --username Username for relay -p, --password Password for relay -e, --encryption-method Encryption method to use when connecting to relay. Choices are TLS, SSL and NONE. Default is TLS. WARNING: Choosing NONE is highly insecure SEE ALSO
The User Manual is available at http://manual.calibre-ebook.com Created by Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net> calibre-smtp (calibre 0.8.51) January 2013 CALIBRE-SMTP(1)