Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [sed]: Substitute a string with a multiline value Post 302978673 by dae on Tuesday 2nd of August 2016 11:59:52 AM
Old 08-02-2016
[sed]: Substitute a string with a multiline value

Dear all,

I try to replace a string of characters in a file (MyFile.txt) by a multiline value of the variable "Myvar":

Code:
[x004191a@xsnl11p317a TEST_DAE]$ cat MyFile.txt
DESCRIPTION '@TargetTable SCHEMA'
(
 @InputFlowDef
);
[x004191a@xsnl11p317a TEST_DAE]$

The content of Myvar:

Code:
[x004191a@xsnl11p317a TEST_DAE]$ echo "$Myvar"
col1
, col2
, col3

Using sed command in the following way, I got the error:

Code:
[x004191a@xsnl11p317a TEST_DAE]$ sed "s/@InputFlowDef/$Myvar/" MyFile.txt
sed: -e expression #1, char 20: unterminated `s' command

My aim is to get the following result:

Code:
[x004191a@xsnl11p317a TEST_DAE]$ cat MyFileResult.txt
DESCRIPTION '@TargetTable SCHEMA'
(
col1
, col2
, col3
);

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Didier.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 08-02-2016 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Added code tags.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete multiline string from file using sed.

Hi, I have file which has the following content... GOOD MORNING **********WARNING********** when it kicks from the kickstart, sshd daemon should start at last. (WHEN KICKING ITSELF, NOT AFTER KICKING). /etc/rc3.d/S55sshd ( run level specification for sshd is 55, now I would want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline pattern search using sed or awk

Hi friends, Could you please help me to resolve the below issue. Input file :- <Node> <username>abc</username> <password>ABC</password> <Node> <Node> <username>xyz</username> <password>XYZ</password> <Node> <Node> <username>mnp</username> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiksuresh
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading one line from a multiline string

Hi , I have a string which is of multiple line,I have to split the string by reading one line in each iteration and keep it in a string.I am keeping all the file names in side as string returned by the ls command ,I am stocked at the point of spliting the string to segragate each file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deekay.p
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed doubt - search and substitute string from variable.

hi, trying to learn more abt sed :( i want to substitute a variable(a) with other variable(b) appended. Read.txt contains: home/test2/abc home/test/root1 input.txt contains: make test "home/test1/none"version="1.3" wt's wrong test "home/test2/abc"version="1.0" make save... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed multiline pattern match

How can I write a script that takes a cisco config file and outputs every occurrence of two, or more, pattern matches through the whole config file? For example, out of a config file, i want to print out every line with interface, description and ip address through the whole file, and disregard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: knownasthatguy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

{bash scripting} Multiline initialisation of string variable

Hello, The task is quite simple. I need to initialise а string variable and assign to it a very long value. For the reason of readability I want to devide this long value into equal parts and place each part at a separate line. For instance, I have - ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pretoria
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Multiline sed help!!

Hey everyone, I'm new to sed and I need to create a script for inserting one line of code at the beginning of every method in a Xcode project (over 6,000 methods). Each method Structure is (+ or -) (Various declarations-- could span multiple lines) ({) I've tried for days, any guidance would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyz
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline sed

Hi guys, I am fairly comfortable with using the sed command if the string to be replaced is all on a single line. I was wondering is it possible to use sed command in a multiline way ? Say for example I have the below string on 2 different lines: { "key": "brandNameA", ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed multiline problem

I'm trying to replicate the sed output on p.108 of Sed&Awk,by Doughery & Robbins, 2nd edition. I'm on a Windows 10 Surface Pro, running Cygwin for 64-bit versions of Windows. Input text saved in text file called data_p108.txt: Consult Section 3.1 in the Owner and Operator Guide for a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prooney
9 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)