Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: One liners, quick rant...
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? One liners, quick rant... Post 302977557 by wisecracker on Tuesday 19th of July 2016 05:12:55 PM
Old 07-19-2016
Hi Neo...
Quote:
Even the best written code can be hard to understand after we have not touched it for a month or two, let alone a year or more.
Yup, I often do a search for something and come across an upload I have written and totally forgotten about. I read it and think did I actaully write that?
Quote:
So, I learned the hard way many years ago not to write "fancy one liners" and write well documented code and scripts.
Going slightly off topic here with the second quote I was on a Python ML, (they were so obnoxious that I have long since left), and the big guns on there said there was no need to add comments as it was easy to work out what a python script does. I gave them this challenge:-
(Before reading the answer I wonder if the Python experts on here can work out what it does?)
Code:
# SomeSound.py

audio=file('/dev/dsp', 'wb')
def main():
	for a in range(0,25,1):
		for b in range(15,112,1):
			for c in range(0,1,1):
				audio.write(chr(127+b)+chr(127+b)+chr(127+b)+chr(127+b)+chr(127-b)+chr(127-b)+chr(127-b)+chr(127-b))
		for b in range(112,15,-1):
			for c in range(0,1,1):
				audio.write(chr(127+b)+chr(127+b)+chr(127+b)+chr(127+b)+chr(127-b)+chr(127-b)+chr(127-b)+chr(127-b))
main()
audio.close()

The solution is here:-
Amplitude Modulation - Tremolo, Was:- An Audio/Sound Snippet For Linux... ;o) << Python recipes << ActiveState Code
This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I rant?

First of all, apologies to the admins for not reading the rules totally and missing the bit about ranting off about other OSs. But that raises a question. Where do you go to have a good rant, to vent your disgust at various corporations and thier hideous behaviour? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u6ik
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - one liners

Guys, I have a requirement like this. A file has >5K records always. Separated by "|", it has 30 fields for each line. In some lines, I am getting an odd field. say, the 15th field is supposed to be 2 characters but comes in as >2. In this case, for resolving this I need to copy the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Those simple one liners

I wanted to say LOL and punch my face when I saw post#11 (where Don_Cragun even reduced the string manipulation with a simple regex) in the thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/220553-add-0-start-filename-2.html I mean, when things can be done with just a one liner, sometimes I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
6 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

A rant...

Hi guys... (Apologies for any typos etc...) This is basically a rant. I have been doing kids level projects and writing code to suit since around 1982, for the uProfessor, for the Sinclair Spectrum and later for the QL, IBM-XT in MS-DOS and after that for a 386DX40 up to Windows 95, until I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
roarvio(7)						System Manager's Manual: RoarAuido						roarvio(7)

NAME
libroar - RoarAudio sound library roarvio - RoarAudio virtual IO layer SYNOPSIS
#include <roaraudio.h> struct roar_vio_calls; DESCRIPTION
The RoarAudio VIO interface is RoarAudio's IO abstraction layer. It provides basic IO functions such as read and write independing on the underlaying IO. For Example can you open a plain or a gziped file via the VIO layer. After a successful open both objects behave the same, libroar takes care about the compression in the gzip case. TUTORIALS
Tutorials can be found in roartutvio(7). IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS
There are several important functions. This is a small list of the most important ones. Opening roar_vio_open_file(3), roar_vio_open_fh(3), roar_vio_open_stdio(3), roar_vio_open_dstr(3), roar_vio_open_proto(3). While there are a lot functions important for opening files the most important one is roar_vio_open_dstr(3). It opens a stream based on URLs that can point to local files or files on remote machines. It also can handle compression and encryption. Closing roar_vio_close(3), roar_vio_shutdown(3) Reading and writing roar_vio_read(3), roar_vio_write(3) Seeking and positioning roar_vio_lseek(3) Non-Blocking and Asyncron IO roar_vio_nonblock(3), roar_vio_sync(3), roar_vio_select(3) Networking and Sockets roar_vio_accept(3) String handling roar_vio_printf(3) BUGS
A lot... SEE ALSO
roar-config(1), roartypes(1), roartutvio(7), RoarAudio(7). RoarAudio May 2011 roarvio(7)