Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX PS output is not displaying full process running Post 302977299 by mrmurdock on Friday 15th of July 2016 02:56:26 PM
Old 07-15-2016
HP PS output is not displaying full process running

I have 4 HPUX 11.31 servers with the same Quality Pack bundles. "AS FAR AS I CAN TELL" no system files have been modified.
  • /usr/bin/ps is the same date size and creation date
  • terminfo file (x-->xterm) is the same date size and creation date
  • shell (ksh) is the same date size and creation date
on all 4 nodes.

This problem appears using either a xterm emulator or a putty ssh session.
The TERM type is xterm
Code:
echo $TERM
xterm

PROBLEM:
On one of the nodes, a ps -ef output does not show the full output of the process command running as it does on the other 3 servers.

From the script -
Code:
ps -ef | egrep -e '-Dn='$RESOURCE

($Resource is name of the process we are grep'ing on)

From the command line -
Code:
ps -ef | egrep -e '-Dn='Bob1

(or Bob2) (depends which process is on which box).
This is a Service guard package so Bob1 is on Node 1 and Bob2 is on Node 2.
Bob1 output shows up fully as expected. Bob2 output gets truncated.
When Bob2 is on Node 1, the output is normal (complete line is displayed).
So it seems to be following the Node. Just do not know where to begin looking to solve this.

Last edited by rbatte1; 07-18-2016 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Set formatted list from text one, added CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying VERY long process names with ps -ef

Hi, I'm trying to display all process on an AIX server with the string SLRServer in them. Normally "ps -ef|grep SLRServer" would be sufficient, however in this instance the process name is enormous and the part which contains this string has been truncated, as you can see in the example below ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying output from df -k in GB instead of KB

Hello all, Code below: echo "Oracle Filesystems" echo "------------------" echo for j in `df -l -k |grep total|grep ora|grep -v storage|grep -v vg00|awk '{print $1}'` do echo $j is `df -l -k $j |grep total|grep ora|grep -v storage|grep -v vg00|awk -F":" '{print $2}'|awk '{print $1}'` KB... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying current user process

When I typed in ps -a I get this: PID TTY TIME CMD 31799 pts/3 00:00:00 vim 31866 pts/3 00:00:00 vim And to check who is currently logged in, I type who Felix Whoals Tada Whoals Lala Whoals How can I get the user process for all current users who logged in?? I think I need to combine... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -ef does not displaying the running process

Hi, I am using the monitor shell script to check the particular process is running or not.If it is not running this monitor shell script will automatically start the process.I am using the ps -ef command to check the process availablity.But the problem is some times the ps -ef | grep "Process... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshbabuc
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not displaying while running in cron job

hi , While running my script individually the variable is working fine. But when i am running the same script from cron job it's displaying nothing. Can any one comment on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: josephroyal
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Banner not displaying full content

HI, while using banner command, i am not getting the full content in the screen: banner "UNIX AUTOMATION" # # # # ### # # # # # ####### ####### # # # # ## # # # # # # # # # # # ## ## # # # # # # ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying log file pattern output in tabular form output

Hi All, I have result log file which looks like this (below): from the content need to consolidate the result and put it in tabular form 1). Intercomponents Checking Passed: All Server are passed. ====================================================================== 2). OS version Checking... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup not give expected output. Non-stop running process

Hello, I am trying to make a bash script, I tested nohup but it did not help me. My code is: ffmpeg -i $input_url -c:v copy -c:a copy -listen 1 -f mpegts http://localhost:port/live/test When I open it in VLC, it starts feeding my screen and I see bitrate values. When I stop watching it,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get exact tomcat process I am running ignoring other java process

Team, I have multiple batchjobs running in VM, if I do ps -ef |grep java or tomcat I am getting multiple process list. How do I get my exact tomcat process running and that is unique? via shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanshyam Ratho
4 Replies
sysdef(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                sysdef(1M)

NAME
sysdef - output system definition SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/sysdef [-i] [-n namelist] /usr/sbin/sysdef [-h] [-d] [-i] [-D] DESCRIPTION
The sysdef utility outputs the current system definition in tabular form. It lists all hardware devices, as well as pseudo devices, system devices, loadable modules, and the values of selected kernel tunable parameters. It generates the output by analyzing the named bootable operating system file (namelist) and extracting the configuration information from it. The default system namelist is /dev/kmem. OPTIONS
-i Prints the configuration information from /dev/kmem. This is the default and only needs to be specified if the configura- tion information from both /dev/kmem and the system file specified with the "-n namelist" option is needed. -nnamelist Specifies a namelist other than the default (/dev/kmem). The namelist specified must be a valid bootable operating system. -h Prints the identifier of the current host in hexadecimal. This numeric value is unique across all Sun hosts. -d The output includes the configuration of system peripherals formatted as a device tree. -D For each system peripheral in the device tree, display the name of the device driver used to manage the peripheral. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample output format The following example displays the format of the sysdef -d output: example% sysdef -d Node 'SUNW,Ultra-5_10', unit #-1 Node 'packages', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'terminal-emulator', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'deblocker', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'obp-tftp', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'disk-label', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'SUNW,builtin-drivers', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'sun-keyboard', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'ufs-file-system', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'chosen', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'openprom', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'client-services', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'options', unit #0 Node 'aliases', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'memory', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'virtual-memory', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'pci', unit #0 Node 'pci', unit #0 Node 'ebus', unit #0 Node 'auxio', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'power', unit #0 Node 'SUNW,pll', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'se', unit #0 (no driver) Node 'su', unit #0 Node 'su', unit #1 Node 'ecpp', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'fdthree', unit #0 Node 'eeprom', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'flashprom', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'SUNW,CS4231', unit #0 (no driver) Node 'network', unit #0 Node 'SUNW,m64B', unit #0 Node 'ide', unit #0 Node 'disk', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'cdrom', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'sd', unit #1 Node 'dad', unit #1 Node 'pci', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'pseudo', unit #0 [output truncated] FILES
/dev/kmem default operating system image ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hostid(1), prtconf(1M), nlist(3ELF), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 4 Oct 2004 sysdef(1M)