Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Just getting started with UNIX programming and administration Post 302977214 by bakunin on Thursday 14th of July 2016 12:04:19 PM
Old 07-14-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by despiragado
Also thanks for kindly moving my post to the right section. As a new user i was lost as to where to post my introduction.
That's OK. We are here to help you. If you are unsure about anything you can always ask a moderator or administrator (the people with the red names) for help.

You book, btw., is a great choice! It is one of the classics i think everyone working on UNIX should have read.

Here is my personal list of books i have found to be "all time classics" and of eternal value in the field of programming in UNIX environments. Most assume that you are already a seasoned programmer and discuss just how UNIX/Linux environments differ from other such environments and how proper UNIX programs should behave. But even if you are less seasoned than the authors expected their audience to be you will still profit greatly from them, IMHO.
  • Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment (Stevens)
    Also called "APUE" or just "the Stevens".
  • The Art of Unix Programming (Raymond)
    All about how things ought to be done.
  • The Art of Computer Programming (Knuth)
    Affectionately known as the "TAOCP". All you ever wanted to know about programming in general. The book you use as material for lifelong learning.
  • Lions' Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code (Lions)
    An absolute must for every kernel expert. For a long time withheld from the market (for trade secrets) and perhaps the most photo-copied book in the world.
  • Modern Operating Systems (Tanenbaum)
    The man who taught Linux Torvalds how to write a kernel explains the rationale behind kernel design decisions in general and provides a teaching OS (Minix) in source code.
  • UNIX Network Programming (Stevens)
    The bible if you want to write client-server software. All about inter-process-communication, sockets and the like. I suggest "TCP/IP Illustrated" from the same author along with it.
  • Computer Networks (Tanenbaum)
    To understand why we ended with todays Ethernet/TCPIP-monoculture and what made this combination so extremely successful, this is about network architecture and -design in general.
  • Principles Compiler Design (Aho, Ullmann)
    The famous "(green) Dragon Book". Even if you never write a compiler knowing about parsing, lexical analysers and the theory behind it will enlighten your programming.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 07-18-2016 at 08:50 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

freeBSD Unix Administration...

Hello there ! I am little bit confuse about freeBSD and Sun Solaris, Susue, Mandrake. Is freeBSD is same like Sun Solaris ? i mean if i will have freeBSD software, i can administrator same like i am administring Unix O.S ? I want to be Unix Administrator, so if i will install freeBSD and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Unix Administration doubts ********

Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct answers for these: 1. You have 4 instances running on the same UNIX box. How can you determine which shared memory and semaphores are associated with which instance? 2. How do you increase the OS limitation for open files (LINUX and/or Solaris)? Thanks:p (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do i get unix started

i am a total newbie...and want to learn unix....firstly...how do i get unix....if it is available on the internet then where is it?...and how do i get this to work then.....plz plz help asap...really desperate now thanx in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitanyamanot
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Started with Unix

I am new to Unix and want to learn it thoroughly. From where can I download books/e-books and tutorials for free of charge:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Started with Unix....

Hi all I'm a beginner in Unix world.I want to know from where i should start Book,E-Book.web site ,...etc by the way how many version does unix have? i should install which version? How to install it? and very important,is there any simulator for training purpose? for example can i install unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZarrinPour
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get started with Unix

I'm new in UNIX learning. Can you please guide me. How to get start and then step by step things in Unix. (I know all basic commands) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsha katre
5 Replies