Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Just getting started with UNIX programming and administration Post 302977192 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 13th of July 2016 09:37:54 PM
Old 07-13-2016
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Note that this thread has been moved to the What is on your Mind? forum, since this is not a technical discussion topic.

Hi despiragado,
Welcome to the UNIX & Linux Forums. And, welcome to the world of UNIX-like operating systems. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

If you get stuck, start a new thread and
  1. show us the inputs you have,
  2. the outputs you want,
  3. describe the logic that should be used to convert your inputs into your desired outputs,
  4. show us any code you have written to try to reach your goal,
  5. show us the output the code you have written produces, and
  6. show us any diagnostic messages produced while running your code.
Don't assume that everyone will have read this thread. Tell us each time you start a new thread what operating system and shell you're using. (The capabilities of some utilities vary considerably from system to system and you are much more likely to get useful suggestions if we know what programming environment you're using.)

We're here to help you learn how to use the tools that are available to you on your new system to do whatever you want to do.

Welcome.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

freeBSD Unix Administration...

Hello there ! I am little bit confuse about freeBSD and Sun Solaris, Susue, Mandrake. Is freeBSD is same like Sun Solaris ? i mean if i will have freeBSD software, i can administrator same like i am administring Unix O.S ? I want to be Unix Administrator, so if i will install freeBSD and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Unix Administration doubts ********

Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct answers for these: 1. You have 4 instances running on the same UNIX box. How can you determine which shared memory and semaphores are associated with which instance? 2. How do you increase the OS limitation for open files (LINUX and/or Solaris)? Thanks:p (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do i get unix started

i am a total newbie...and want to learn unix....firstly...how do i get unix....if it is available on the internet then where is it?...and how do i get this to work then.....plz plz help asap...really desperate now thanx in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitanyamanot
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Started with Unix

I am new to Unix and want to learn it thoroughly. From where can I download books/e-books and tutorials for free of charge:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Started with Unix....

Hi all I'm a beginner in Unix world.I want to know from where i should start Book,E-Book.web site ,...etc by the way how many version does unix have? i should install which version? How to install it? and very important,is there any simulator for training purpose? for example can i install unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZarrinPour
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get started with Unix

I'm new in UNIX learning. Can you please guide me. How to get start and then step by step things in Unix. (I know all basic commands) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsha katre
5 Replies
HWLOC-PS(1)							       hwloc							       HWLOC-PS(1)

NAME
hwloc-ps - List currently-running processes or threads that are bound SYNOPSIS
hwloc-ps [options] OPTIONS
-a list all processes, even those that are not bound to any specific part of the machine. -p --physical report OS/physical indexes instead of logical indexes -l --logical report logical indexes instead of physical/OS indexes (default) -c --cpuset show process bindings as cpusets instead of objects. -t --threads show threads inside processes. If -a is given as well, list all threads within each process. Otherwise, show all threads inside each process where at least one thread is bound. --whole-system Do not consider administration limitations. --pid-cmd <cmd> Append the output of the given command to each PID line. For each displayed process ID, execute the command <cmd> <pid> and append the first line of its output to the regular hwloc-ps line. DESCRIPTION
By default, hwloc-ps lists only those currently-running processes that are bound. If -t is given, processes that are not bound but contain at least one bound thread are also displayed, as well as all their threads. hwloc-ps displays process identifier, command-line and binding. The binding may be reported as objects or cpusets. By default, process bindings are restricted to the currently available topology. If some processes are bound to processors that are not available to the current process, they are ignored unless --whole-system is given. The output is a plain list. If you wish to annotate the hierarchical topology with processes so as to see how they are actual distributed on the machine, you might want to use lstopo --ps instead (which also only shows processes that are bound). The -a switch can be used to show all processes, if desired. EXAMPLES
If a process is bound, it appears in the default output: $ utils/hwloc-ps 4759 Core:0 myprogram If a process is not bound but 3 of his 4 threads are bound, it only appears in the thread-aware output: $ utils/hwloc-ps $ utils/hwloc-ps -t 4759 Machine:0 myprogram 4759 Machine:0 4761 PU:0 4762 PU:2 4765 PU:1 To display the binding of already running MPI processes (launched by Open MPI) and append their MPI rank (in MPI_COMM_WORLD) to each line: $ utils/hwloc-ps --pid-cmd myscript 29093 L1dCache:0 myprogram OMPI_COMM_WORLD_RANK=0 29094 L1dCache:2 myprogram OMPI_COMM_WORLD_RANK=1 29095 L1dCache:1 myprogram OMPI_COMM_WORLD_RANK=2 29096 L1dCache:3 myprogram OMPI_COMM_WORLD_RANK=3 where myscript is a bash script doing: #!/bin/sh cat /proc/$1/environ 2>/dev/null | xargs --null --max-args=1 echo | grep OMPI_COMM_WORLD_RANK SEE ALSO
hwloc(7), lstopo(1), hwloc-calc(1), hwloc-distrib(1) 1.7 Apr 07, 2013 HWLOC-PS(1)