Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Tried to change user name, now cannot log in Post 302976631 by Aia on Friday 1st of July 2016 06:27:28 PM
Old 07-01-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinu
Yes I did use shadow

However I am not getting the etc directory when I mount.
I only have /etc/shadow
Then, you are not mounting the file root filesystem from your OS (which explains the failure with chroot). It was not very likely that /dev/sda6 was your root filesystem, as you confirmed. /etc/shadow is from the LiveCD.
Please, try:

Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/forget
ls -l /mnt/forget/etc

See if that's the filesystem. If not try again with the others, until you find the one that has etc
This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

User name change?

Hello, I love the service. My username is Jmt. Can I change that to WebKruncher? Thanks, -Jmt WebKruncher.com - sole proprietor. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jmt
1 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Change of user name

I am on several other Forums under the handle of FloridaBD and therefore would like to request that my user name here on Unix forums be changed from SunBurntYux to FloridaBSD Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SunBurntYux
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change user> to user@host> ssh prompt

Hi, I was wondering how to change the prompt for my ssh login. At the moment it is like user> while I'd like it to be as user@host> It is in the .bash_profile or .ssh ??? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmasterkim
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change user

Hi, I have to change many times user in a script. With the command su userName I receive the request for password. I need to open a session with another user I would put the password at the beginning. How can I do it? Thanks, bye bye. ---------- Post updated 22-04-10 at 10:58 AM ----------... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdujaparov
9 Replies

6. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX User Change Log

Hello All, If a user in AIX is locked due to multiple failed login attempts. How do I find out the IP address from where failed attempts were made? regards, Roshni (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

8. AIX

How to change normal user id to LDAP user id?

If I create a new user id test: mkuser id=400 test then I want it to LDAP user: chuser -R LDAP SYSTEM=LDAP registry=LDAP test It shows: 3004-687 User "test" does not exist. How to do? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change user

Hi All, need your assistance, how can i change user again after i change my user. here is the code that i tried su - myuser #success su - webuser ##what i want to try is to change user again to webuser from myuser account my output is it cannot change to webuser account. only in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
8 Replies
FSTRACE_CLEAR(8)					       AFS Command Reference						  FSTRACE_CLEAR(8)

NAME
fstrace_clear - Clears the trace log SYNOPSIS
fstrace clear [-set <set name>+] [-log <log name>+] [-help] fstrace c [-s <set name>+] [-l <log name>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fstrace clear command erases the contents of the trace log from kernel memory, but leaves kernel memory allocated for the log. OPTIONS
-set <set name>+ Names the event set for which to clear the associated trace log. The only acceptable value is "cm" (for which the associated trace log is "cmfx"). Provide either this argument or the -log argument, or omit both to clear the "cmfx" log by default. -log <log name>+ Names the trace log to clear. The only acceptable value is "cmfx". Provide either this argument or the -set argument, or omit both to clear the "cmfx" log by default. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command clears the "cmfx" trace log on the local machine: # fstrace clear PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be logged in as the local superuser "root". SEE ALSO
fstrace(8), fstrace_lslog(8), fstrace_lsset(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FSTRACE_CLEAR(8)