Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut command on RHEL 6.8 compatibility issues Post 302976545 by Don Cragun on Thursday 30th of June 2016 02:24:56 PM
Old 06-30-2016
The only way to make sure that your wrapper is always called instead of the OS supplied utility is to move the OS supplied utility to a different location and install your wrapper in the location where your OS installed cut originally.

Of course, once you have installed this wrapper, your code might or might not work properly (depending on the quality of your wrapper) and no one else on your system will be able to look at the diagnostics produced by scripts that have bugs in the way they specify field and character ranges so they can identify and fix their code.

My personal opinion is that you should spend time fixing your scripts that call cut -c 0...., cut -f 0..., and lots of other possible misuses of 0 that are now correctly diagnosed as errors by the new version of cut instead of debugging code to be sure that it changes all of the appropriate 0 characters in its argument list to 1 characters and doesn't change any 0 characters that are correctly specified and do not reference a character 0 or field 0.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with cut

We are running on a Sun cluster using ksh. We have a script that has been running for about six months with no issues. The script has not been modified and our results are now coming out diffrent. <BEGIN> cat $exfile | while read line do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bthomas
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date time issues on RHEL

Hi, I am facing a weird problem with the 'Date'. If I check date multiple times in a short interval I see a different time altogether. Here is an example $ date Tue Jul 15 02:07:22 PDT 2008 $ date Tue Jul 15 02:07:23 PDT 2008 $ date Tue Jul 15 03:20:42 PDT 2008 $ date Tue Jul 15... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitb74
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

having issues in using Cut Command

Hi, I would like to ask for your help with my problem, im writing a unix script to remove characters before the symbol "/", but the one being removed are characters after the symbol. Ive searched over the internet and found no answer.. hope you can help me with this. sample: text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paoie
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Apache / Tomcat / APR Issues [RHEL]

Evening, I'm posting for help here, because I'll be honest I've reached the end of my tether, hopefully someone can give me some assistance and help me maintain a level of sanity... I maintain a number of webservers on RHEL 5 64Bit (Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)), the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpickering
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

sed & cut command issues

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: After using the egrep command to pull certain lines from the asg5f1 (creating the asg5f1c file), I am required... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robrom78
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

Test Network Routing Issues (FREEBSD and RHEL)

Hello, I'm attempting to setup a test network with a client-server based architecture using a proprietary application. The client works by communicating with the server on separate links (typically cellular connections) and then initiates a tunnel over each active link. However, in place of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyuk
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compatibility issues between Sun solaries & AIX commands.

Hi, I am migrating few of the shell scripts from existing SUN Solaries to AIX. My script contains some command like 'dos2unix' and 'unix2dos' which are not compatible in AIX flavour. Please let me know if there is any such commands in AIX which can replace these commands. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 46019
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

RHEL 7 distribution compatibility

Hi all, I'm new here. I am currently using RHEL 6.10 and transitioning to RHEL 7 soon. Some of my GUI developments are developed using Glade v2.6.8. My question is: Is Glade v2.6.8 compatible with RHEL 7? Do I need to install additional libraries or dependencies? I looked up the list of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chaosvn
1 Replies
CUT(1)								   User Commands							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - remove sections from each line of files SYNOPSIS
cut OPTION... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --bytes=LIST select only these bytes -c, --characters=LIST select only these characters -d, --delimiter=DELIM use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter -f, --fields=LIST select only these fields; also print any line that contains no delimiter character, unless the -s option is specified -n (ignored) --complement complement the set of selected bytes, characters or fields -s, --only-delimited do not print lines not containing delimiters --output-delimiter=STRING use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of one range, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is written in the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once. Each range is one of: N N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1 N- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line N-M from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field -M from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by David M. Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report cut bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report cut translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cut is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cut programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'cut invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 CUT(1)