Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX [Opinion] A Public Answer To Rob McNelly Post 302976046 by bakunin on Thursday 23rd of June 2016 03:29:18 AM
Old 06-23-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukessd
A large number of Power sysadmin are simply not able, or capable, of doing their jobs.
Amen. You are right, but i think you are missing the point: first, a determined "non-expert" (to avoid words more to the point) will be able to mess up anything. As i said, when locking him out of the HMC helps, why not lock him out of any other LPAR too?

Second: this is digging into a much larger area so i'll try to keep it short. The reason that so few capable admins for AIX are there is because IBM did (and, IMHO, still does) a very bad job at educating them. If i am a Linux admin and want to hone my skills i get myself a PC for $300 and start hacking. I will perhaps make it go FUBAR a few times but all this will teach me valuable lessons and i will be all the more capable once i work on really productive systems professionally. If i am an AIX admin i do - what? Buy myself a system for ~ $20k only to find out i can't even create an LPAR because i need to shell out another $50k in various licenses for one thing or the other? This might be OK for a bank, but is beyond my financial reach.

In addition the IBM documentation once used to be exhaustive. It isn't any more. In fact it is quite incomplete, bookmarks to the documentation tend to be invalidated within hours so that you start over searching for the same pages (which sometimes are not to be found again however) and even if you find what you search for the information is oftenly incomplete and leaves many questions open.

Of course there are courses: EUR 5k for 4 days of class and what they tell you is basically: "use SMIT and you are on the safe side". I don't care how to do something, i want to understand what i do. I found out over and over again that the people holding the course knew even less than me.

Quote:
How could that be supported without making the HMC a black box and simply not letting it happen?
As i said: by making what is the HMC today into an application as did EMC, as did IBM with their PSSP, as do many other developers of all sorts of management software. There is no reason that it has to be so complicated that it needs the "black blox" to run smoothly.

Quote:
Do you use vio commands on a vio server, or just oem_setup to save time - it'll catch you out sooner or later...

Do you hack the ODM if a command doesn't work the way you want - it'll catch you out sooner or later...

Do it by the book or suffer the consequences.
Well, i do all that on occasion, especially when the "by-the-book" methods didn't work out. And i was only so much amused when i was finally allowed to throw out everything i learned on AIX out of the window and had to learn a second, completely different set of commands to do on a VIOS the same things i do on an LPAR.

For the book by which i should do it: if it doesn't tell me what i need to know to do it right it is simply incomplete and/or badly written. Don't hold me accountable for IBM delivering bad/wrong/incomplete/misleading documentation.

Quote:
If you have a beef about HMC, AIX, admin rights, Etc. raise a PMR and if IBM say "not supported" they'll give you the process to raise a DCR. If the DCR (design change request) is rejected at least they'll let you know why they think your idea is not possible or plausible.
Having used AIX since version 3.2 i know this process. It is just my opinion that IBM took some wrong (design) decisions and even though i cannot help it i do not have to appreciate it either. And i do not have to take Rob McNellys apologetic stance towards this without objection.

Finally, on a more philosopic point about systems design in general: if you design a system to cater to the dumbest possible administrator you are likely to get the dumbest possible system which even the smartest possible admin can't make any more intelligent.

bakunin
These 5 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need your help and opinion

Hey all, I'm brand new to Unix/Linux and have a couple of questions. I own a small education/consulting company that has a staff of approx. 50 employees. Most our work is geared towards the office-style environment (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). There are also some C and Java programmers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennie1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Your Opinion requested

Ladies/Gentlemen, I am looking for a web-based tool to keep track of my Sun inventory. The following list of fields are fields I would like to store: Root Passwd (needs to be secure) / Hostid / Console Port / IP Address / Platform / Application / Hostname . . . you get the point. Do any of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Opinion

Hi, I am new at this site and at unix. I was reading some answers that the administrators and moderators have posted to others, and sometimes I feel like their a little sarcastic. I am asking just to be patient to me, I know nothing about unix but I do want to learn, and I think that positive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HN19
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expert Opinion

This perhaps does not belong in ths category; apologies, however, we have a heated debate going and your input will decide the result. Should UNIX (HP, AIX, etc) be rebooted following a monthly cycle (Every month, or a qtr, etc.). We have some UX admins (grumps) who say they have seen a UX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are public keys in ssh and how do we create the public keys??

Hi All, I am having knowledge on some basics of ssh and wanted to know what are the public keys and how can we create and implement it in connecting server. Please provide the information for the above, it would be helpful for me. Thanks, Ravindra (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi3cha
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Something in my mind - what's your opinion ?

Dear Forum staff / Advisors / members , I am having something in my mind, about Linux / Unix possible Interview questions collections, I guess if I post them here,which might be useful for our members and for students, and in meantime we can discuss also about those questions, what's your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies